The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikkor 50mm/1.8G Formally Announced

tjv

I'm tempted by this. It's cheap enough to not hurt the wallet and the performance is indicated on the MTF chart to be considerably better than the f1.4G, which I already own but have never been impressed with. In fact, the f1.4G is absolute crap compared to the Summicron-M. Why doesn't Nikon make a high end 50mm with no compromises? I'd be prepared to pay top dollar for Summicron quality.

Vlad

I agree with tjv. The performance of the 50G is lackluster at best, hopefully the 50/1.2 will be stellar (patents have been filed, it's only a matter of time until it's announced).

I still love my plastic-fantastic 50/1.8D!

G

GradyPhilpott

Anyone have opinions of the 50mm/1.8D?

I bought one recently and haven't had much chance to use it, although I like having it in my kit.

tjv

I'm giving this new lens a go. Will sell the 1.4G after I've compared them for myself and it beats it.