The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

One lens to rule them all.....

bensonga

Canon shooter here....but I recently purchased a D2X. It should be here on Friday. Main reason I bought the D2X is to use with my Nikkor AIS lenses (all primes). But....if I were to buy just ONE new AF Nikon zoom lens to use as a general purpose, walk-around lens for this camera, what would you recommend?

I wouldn't want to spend more than $2k (preferably much less). FYI, if I could only keep one lens for my Canon DSLRs, it would be the 24-105L f4....although the 24-70L f2.8 is a close second. I'm just not familiar with the Nikon AF line of lenses....the good, the bad and the outstanding.

Gary

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
As a walk-around lens for the D2X, I would say the 16-85mm. It's not pro build quality and it's not constant aperture (3.5-5.6), but it's very nice optically. It's less than $1,000, so well within your budget.

Myself, I'm using a Tamron 17-50. It's OK, but not sharp at the wide end. If I should make the decision again, I would go for the 16-85 plus primes and possibly a Tokina 11-16 or Nikkor 10.5 fish for the wide end.

bensonga

Jorgen...that 16-85 lens looks just about right, thanks for the pointing it out to me. The focal range is perfect for my uses. Probably very similar to the EF-S 17-85 that I often used on my Canon 20D/40D. I'll stop by the local camera shop and see if they've got one in stock.

Godfrey...I might not have been clear in my original post, I'm looking for one all purpose AF Nikkor lens to use. I already have a nice collection of AI-S primes to use with the D2X, including a 35mm f2 (it would be nice to have the 1.4 version!).

Gary

Godfrey

Godfrey...I might not have been clear in my original post, I'm looking for one all purpose AF Nikkor lens to use. I already have a nice collection of AI-S primes to use with the D2X, including a 35mm f2 (it would be nice to have the 1.4 version!).
Difference of opinion, Gary. To me, a fast normal lens is my best all-purpose lens. I have no interest in cheap, slow mid-to-short-tele zooms and fast high-quality zooms in this range aren't that appealing to me either ... I just don't like shooting with them very much unless I really need the convenience for an assignment job.

(The 35mm f/2 is a fine lens, and a bit lighter than the f/1.4! It's what I used as a normal lens on my Nikons for 20 years...!)

bensonga

Difference of opinion, Gary. To me, a fast normal lens is my best all-purpose lens. I have no interest in cheap, slow mid-to-short-tele zooms and fast high-quality zooms in this range aren't that appealing to me either ... I just don't like shooting with them very much unless I really need the convenience for an assignment job.

(The 35mm f/2 is a fine lens, and a bit lighter than the f/1.4! It's what I used as a normal lens on my Nikons for 20 years...!)
Ahhh.....now I understand what you were recommending Godfrey. The 35mm f2 AF lens. Sorry I misread your post. I guess, because I've already got a full range of reasonably fast AIS primes, I wasn't thinking about replacing any of those with AF primes. My style of shooting generally doesn't require AF, but I figure if I was going to buy just one AF lens, I'd go for the focal length versatility of the zoom. I would prefer something faster, like my Canon 24-70 f2.8 or 24-105 f4, but I'm hesitant to spend $1.5-$2k for a lens right now. I may give those Nikon AF primes a look however, just a look. :angel:

Actually, the newly announced 50 f1.8 G lens did cross my mind, but I think I'll see how far I can get using my 28/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 55 micro, 85/2, 105/2.5, 135/2.8, 200/4 and 300/4.5 EDIF for now, before spending money on any AF primes. It should be fun using all these MF lenses on the D2X.

Gary

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I had the 17-55 almost permanently bonded to the front of my D2Xs. Very nice range on the D2X sensor. Sharp and fast, lovely color. Rock solid performer.

Tim

bowlachili

Being cheap/frugal/value conscious (mostly cheap), I like the old 18-70mm for it's range (28-105mm equivalent) and price--usually around $150 or less used (check KEH.com). It's sharp, compact, light in weight, and has a metal lens mount.

Here's a review from Thom Hogan:
http://bythom.com/1870lens.htm

bensonga

Thanks for the many good suggestions folks......I decided to go with the 16-85G lens. For now, it is the right lens, at the right price.

First impressions.....very nicely made the images look good!

Gary

m_driscoll

The AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VRVR is an exceptional all around lens. I shot with it today on my D700 and I've used it a lot on the D7000. It's not 70-200mm IQ, but, it's close enough for my needs (and a lot lighter). Exceptionally versatile. The new AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED is also very nice. I'm going the other way from Godfrey. I got rid of all of my fast primes and am sticking to zooms with the Nikon bodies.

BTW, your work with the 16-85G has been great.

Cheers, Matt.

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I'm with Matt regarding the 28-300VR. It's a wonderfully versatile lens and I've just gone through the process of radically reducing my Nikon outfit so that now I'm down to a D700 & 28-300VR with a few extra primes that I figured I may as well keep - 16/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4G. I need to add a wide and will probably get a 16-35 VR or 20/2.8 to round out the travel outfit.

If anyone is looking for a 14-24 or 70-200 VR II I'll be posting them for sale at the weekend.

Lars

I'd agree with Jorgen that the Tamron 17-50/2.8 is quite a good lens for its price. What it doesn't do well is handle a drop on concrete from 1 meter (which incidentally the D2X that it was attached to did).

M

monkeini

Personally, I like limited range zooms. In your situation I'd consider the 20-35mm f2.8 or the 24-50mm f3.5-4.5 (I've used that on a D80 - works well). But, given you've a selection of Nikkor primes to dip into, I'd suggest maybe the 18-200 VR is a strong case for a 'general purpose, walk-around lens'.

RichA

Canon shooter here....but I recently purchased a D2X. It should be here on Friday. Main reason I bought the D2X is to use with my Nikkor AIS lenses (all primes). But....if I were to buy just ONE new AF Nikon zoom lens to use as a general purpose, walk-around lens for this camera, what would you recommend?

I wouldn't want to spend more than $2k (preferably much less). FYI, if I could only keep one lens for my Canon DSLRs, it would be the 24-105L f4....although the 24-70L f2.8 is a close second. I'm just not familiar with the Nikon AF line of lenses....the good, the bad and the outstanding.

Gary
Honestly? If you don't need the speed but want a high-quality image? The 16-85mm. It's sharper, more contrasty than the 17-55mm f2.8, but not fast.

bensonga

Honestly? If you don't need the speed but want a high-quality image? The 16-85mm. It's sharper, more contrasty than the 17-55mm f2.8, but not fast.
Hi Rich. As noted a few posts above....the 16-85 is the lens I bought! I've been very happy with it.....it does exactly what I needed. Very nice build quality (better than my Canon EF-S 17-85, which is a comparable lens).

Gary