The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3 Concert Shoot - Bulutsuzluk Ozlemi

vieri

The other night I went shooting "Bulutsuzluk Ozlemi", a seminal Turkish rock band; used kit, the D3 at ISO 3200 (most pics pushed up to 1 more stop in PP), the 70-200 & the 17-35. Here some results:

More images from the shoot (including Leica MP + Noctilux + Tri-X pics) here.

C&C as always are most welcome.

Stuart Richardson

Nice work Vieri. I have shot this kind of stuff before, and people really underestimate how dark and how difficult it can be. It is here that the D3 really shines -- the high ISO's allow you to get nice, non-grainy photos with the natural light and stopped motion. I have tried doing this kind of thing with the DMR (and even the M8), and it can be quite difficult. The D3 is just made for this sort of thing. You have really made the best use of it as well.

vieri

Vieri
just saw them @RFF
prefer this COLOR version
adds to the Musique so to speak
best-h :D
Hello Helen, thank you very much for viewing & commenting, very much appreciated - I am glad you enjoyed these in color :D

Nice work Vieri. I have shot this kind of stuff before, and people really underestimate how dark and how difficult it can be. It is here that the D3 really shines -- the high ISO's allow you to get nice, non-grainy photos with the natural light and stopped motion. I have tried doing this kind of thing with the DMR (and even the M8), and it can be quite difficult. The D3 is just made for this sort of thing. You have really made the best use of it as well.
Stuart, thank you very much - indeed it's not easy to deal with the ever changing light, the darkness, the movement, and such; I am curious to see the DMR results on this, I didn't like the M8 for concerts that much but really enjoyed the MP & Neopan (see the M forum if interested). The D3 rocks for this kinda jobs, no doubt - a fantastic tool! :D thanks again, best

Stuart Richardson

These were with the DMR, but it was at ISO 800, f/1.4, 1/30th of a second, and still underexposed. I had to bring it up and then do some fairly severe noise reduction. The results are soft and mushy. The red areas in the images clipped really badly (the light was VERY VERY red, and it was very dark). I did not get many usable shots. The D3 would have been SO much better.

I agree that I prefer a film M for concerts. To give you an idea, here is an 800 ISO film shot, same band, different venue (significantly bigger and brighter).

Terry

Vieri,
When you look at the full sized images at what sizes do you still think they look good in print?

HansAlbert

Vieri,
excellent series; I like particularly this one:

All musicians are absorbed by their making music, and there is an impression of naturalness about everybody's doing. They don't look at each other, but this doesn't come out as a split-up, rather they appear to be – together with their instruments and their gear – cogs in a wheel, parts of a new organism: the band.

This time I'd like to greet you with a photo from your home country I took some weeks ago:

(Arena di Verona, Aida – alas no D3 but Sony R1 with remote control, 1/5 sec, f 5.6, ISO 200)

vieri

These were with the DMR, but it was at ISO 800, f/1.4, 1/30th of a second, and still underexposed. I had to bring it up and then do some fairly severe noise reduction. The results are soft and mushy. The red areas in the images clipped really badly (the light was VERY VERY red, and it was very dark). I did not get many usable shots. The D3 would have been SO much better.

I agree that I prefer a film M for concerts. To give you an idea, here is an 800 ISO film shot, same band, different venue (significantly bigger and brighter).

Stuart, thank you for the samples! Indeed the D3 is great for low light, while the DMR seems to suffer a bit under those lights - film is now (and I imagine if not always at least for quite some time) holding its ground in B&W, IMHO, while I feel that color film (for low light) is now surpassed by the last generation digital Nikons (and probably Canons, I don't use them so I can't speak for them). Of course, color film still has a look of its own, unmatched by digital - the same way that digital's look is unmatched by film, in reverse ;)

Vieri,
When you look at the full sized images at what sizes do you still think they look good in print?
Hello Terry, I am not sure where the limit is, I printed some of these (and some D2x shots too) up to 11x14" for my portfolio and they look great at that size, even examining them from close. Being "look good" a matter of subjectivity, though, maybe it would help me if you'd give me some more info on what you would or wouldn't want to see in a pic - say, for me some noise is ok (not an extreme amount of it, of course ;)), color saturation and vividness is a must for which I'd sacrifice some noise, sharpness is important but not the end of the world (these look very sharp in print, however), and so on - under my own parameters, they look pretty good at 11x14. I never printed any concert pics larger, so I can't say anything about going up with the size, but looking at them at 11x14 I think they have quite some margin for enlargement left. :D

Vieri,
excellent series; I like particularly this one:

All musicians are absorbed by their making music, and there is an impression of naturalness about everybody's doing. They don't look at each other, but this doesn't come out as a split-up, rather they appear to be – together with their instruments and their gear – cogs in a wheel, parts of a new organism: the band.

This time I'd like to greet you with a photo from your home country I took some weeks ago:

(Arena di Verona, Aida – alas no D3 but Sony R1 with remote control, 1/5 sec, f 5.6, ISO 200)
Hans, thank you very much for your comment to the group shot of the band, very much to the point - and many many thanks for the splendid photo of the splendid Arena! :) I really appreciated it, thanks again!

Terry

Vieri,
Your description is fine. I am not too picky about noise so I was just trying to figure out when they would fall apart being able to get 11x14 at high ISOs is going to be fun!