Site Sponsors

Thread: Best lens for 3Ds video?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Best lens for 3Ds video?

I've decided to play with the video function of my recently acquired 3Ds. I use primes, mostly MF for my work, which I've quickly discovered are a PIA for video function. My only AF is a 14-24, not exactly practical for video. Any suggestions for a 2 or 3 to 1 AF zoom for this beast? I thought the 24-120 might be good, but all of the reviews I have read said the lens is lacking. I also do not want to spend big bux on a lens I will use only a couple of times a year ... I already have a stack of those!

Any help would be appreciated. While I am thinking about it, which stereo mike with the dead kitty gets the best performance on a D3s?
    On-line portfolio
    www.abouddweck.com

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Best lens for 3Ds video?

Microphone first: The Røde Videomic Pro has a very good reputation http://www.rode.com.au/microphone.ph...ct=videomicpro . Nikon has just launched one as well, the ME-1. It looks smaller, but I don't know anything about the sound quality of that one.

As for AF lenses, Nikon don't make lenses particularly targeted towards video (unlike Panasonic with the 14-140). I would think that the 24-120mm is a convenient as well as good quality alternative, but I mostly use MF lenses for video except the 7-14mm (on my GH1), so what do I know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best lens for 3Ds video?

I use the video function on my D3s only occasionally, and on each occasion, I've used the 14-24. I'm generally very close to the subjects, and the DOF of the wide angle helps a great deal. I've been happy with the results.