The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D7000 OR D300s

rollei8is

I am planning a trip to Kenya in July. I have 200-400 VR lens which I plan to use and had hoped to purchase THE successor to the D300. Apparently it is not going to happen.
I am considering the D7000 as a interim body. What is your opinion.
What will I gain or lose in terms of IQ, portability, reliability etc.

What do you recommend?

Dolce Moda

How many times are you going to go to Kenya in your life? Buy something good and sell it when you return for minimal loss. Otherwise maybe rent

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think you'll be safe with either camera. The D7000 obviously has the advantage of extra mega pixels which under normal circumstances might not be an advantage but if you're going to be using great glass like the 200-400VR, 70-200 VR II or one of the long primes then you'll be able to get the best from the camera.

If build quality and speed with the MB-D10 grip are important then the D300s is a superb camera. As mentioned, compared to the cost of a trip to Kenya the price of the D300s isn't really a huge investment and you can easily sell it if you're worried about being stuck with something that isn't the latest or next best thing :rolleyes: I shot Sabi Sabi using my D3s/D3 and didn't miss anything by not having a higher MP camera. 12mp is fine.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it was me, I would buy a D7000 with a grip. It's not only about more megapixels, but also a better sensor in general, particularly at high ISO.

G

GradyPhilpott

I agree with the option to buy a D7000. The sensor alone with its superior low-light performance is the deal maker and as others have suggested, you can sell it afterward, if you're intent on having the successor to the D300.

I

ianbrother

newer sensor = better iso performance and picture quality.

so go for the d7000

G

GroovyGeek

Otherwise maybe rent
Renting for anything more than a day or two is a sucker's proposition. At least in my area the DAILY rate on a D7k is $175. You are better off buying and then throwing it away... literally :)

Roel

I am going to Namibia soon and I chose the D7000 over the D300 (a very capable camera). Last time I was in Africa, we went out early in the morning (at sunrise) and also just before sunset, so the cleaner high ISO on the D7000 is welcome. The light levels will be low at those times of the day and I will shoot at higher ISO to maintain decent shutter speeds with my long glass.

My main camera is a D3s, but I wanted a DX crop body for the pixel density (and the narrower FOV crop). Also, the dual card slots (for instant backups) and snappy AF made it a no brainer decision for me.