The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lens recommendation

mwalker

Subscriber Member
I'm thinking about selling my backup M8 for a D700 for the reach and sometime convenience of AF. I'm reading the kit lens is not that good what lens or lenses would you recommend?

jonoslack

I'm thinking about selling my backup M8 for a D700 for the reach and sometime convenience of AF. I'm reading the kit lens is not that good what lens or lenses would you recommend?
HI Mike
Well, there used to be a lot of variation with the kit lens - I suspect that they may have cleaned their act up - and anyway, it works better on full frame than cropped (I've had one since the days of my Kodak 14n), and I do like it.

Otherwise? depends what you want.
The two new f2.8 zooms (14-24 and 24-70) are spiffing - really good (but they're hardly small).

There has been some criticism of the 70-200 f2.8 zoom at the corners - suspicion that it was designed when Nikon weren't expecting to go full frame?

Anyway, I bought the 70-300 cheap AFS - VR zoom, and only have good things to say - it's small, it focuses well, it's sharp all the way round and has a nice bokeh. Hooray!

The 105mm VR macro lens is also a real winner - brutally sharp and with a nice gentle bokeh.

I also have the Voigtlander 58 f1.4, which is great for party time and low light - it's also cheap as chips (but manual focus of course).

I've got the Zeiss 25 f2.8, but it's not really as good wide open as either of the new Nikon zooms, and in the UK at least it's almost as expensive - it does have a nice 'feel' to the images, but, for me at least, if I want that then I'll use the M8.

My feeling is that you're better off getting the modern Nikon nano coated lenses which were clearly designed for the camera - I'm sure that lots of other lenses will produce nice results . . . but if you're starting from scratch?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
If you are looking for zooms Jono has already mentioned the obvious choices.
Be aware that some people are expecting to see a new version of the 2.8/70-200 VR at some point, but nobody knows for sure.
The 2.8/14-24 and 2.8/24-70 are brand new designs. They arrived along with the D3 only half a year ago.

At bythom dot com Thom Hogan has a paragraph in the middle of the front page "What's next ?" saying that a few Nikon f/1.4 primes apparently will appear with the high-resolution camera in the Nikon D3 body.
So far just a rumour, but if you can wait for Photokina in September I assume we will have some more informations about it at that time.

For the moment I'm personally shooting a couple of Zeiss ZF lenses (50 + 85mm), they are rather expensive and manual focus only, but I like them a lot.
I'm eager to see if Nikon brings some new fast AF-S primes to the table at the end of the year.
I would also love to see a new 4/300mm VR or a 4.5/400 VR.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks guys I think I'm going for the 24-70 and the cheap 70-300 AFS and see what comes out at the show...thanks your input

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks guys I think I'm going for the 24-70 and the cheap 70-300 AFS and see what comes out at the show...thanks your input
You can't go wrong with this combo. You will love them both. I just upgraded from 28-70 f/2.8 (a very nice lens) to 24-70 f/2.8 thanks to the b/s forum here. My new lens is just fantastic. I bought a 70-300 VR when I moved to Nikon and it really serves me well.

Terry

Mike,
I also have the 24-70 and the 70-300. I'm not as wildly enthusiastic as others on the 70-300 but I think some of my issues have been making sure I keep the shutter speed up at the long end even with the VR. For me when I nail it I've been pleased with the results. I also now have Guy's 180 which I will try when my d700 arrives. 70-200 is a bit LARGE as a carry around lens and have held off and am waiting to see what Nikon gives us this fall. I also just bought the Voigtlander 58mm. I now need a Camera!

jonoslack

Absolutely - excellent choice - both fine lenses, and they cover a lot of ground.
the 24-70 isn't exactly a macro lens, but it focuses down to around 6 inches, and is good for close up of flowers etc.

PSon

My vote:
1. Zeiss Distagon T* 2.0/35
2. Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100
3. Nikkor 2.0/200

O

Oxide Blu

My vote:
1. Zeiss Distagon T* 2.0/35
2. Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2.0/100
3. Nikkor 2.0/200

I think the D700 being considered does not allow for swapping focus screens. Those Zeiss lenses you mention are great pieces of equipment (I have both) but having focused them while depending on the green dot in a D2X viewfinder, I would never consider a camera that did not allow me to install a split screen focusing screen to facilitate use of those Zeiss lenses.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I think the D700 being considered does not allow for swapping focus screens. Those Zeiss lenses you mention are great pieces of equipment (I have both) but having focused them while depending on the green dot in a D2X viewfinder, I would never consider a camera that did not allow me to install a split screen focusing screen to facilitate use of those Zeiss lenses.
Well i have to disagree. The D3 (and very similar D700 vf) is ALOT easier to MF with then the D2X (wich works just fine) reasons being the VF estate and the uncluttered view. (for me at least :)

robmac

A lot is personal taste. But after having tried Allah-knows how many alternate screens in my 30D, 1Ds1, 5D and now 1DS2, - the best combo by far has been the simple Ec-CIV from the 1D3 combined with the clear VF the 1 series allows. No Bloody AF points etched on an SI screen, or illuminated, etc. Just a nice plain etched high-contrast screen. Back to the good old days as it were.

That said, I don't suspect it will be too long before Katzeye (worked like a charm on 30D) among others start marketing split screens, etc., for the D700.