The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Voigtländer 125/2,5

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Recently found this on the bay.

Its in mint condition (this lens is discontinued, and not very easy to get by) with box papers and everything. It has no sign of use and looks like new.

Here are some initial snaps.

Its a interesting lens, and im looking forward to try it more over the coming week.

/Paul L.

jonoslack

What a lovely thing.
I want one!
I wonder if they'll bring it out again in the newer, chipped version?
I love the black and white portraits too.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Paul
Nice to see you here !
I've been looking for that Voigtländer lens myself and I cannot describe how much I envy you this lens, in the positive sense of the expression, of course.
I don't get it why it was discontinued, well probably something about the new Zeiss ZF line-up made at the same Cosina factory ?
What a pity.
Anyway, this sample couldn't be in better hands.
Folks, meet Paul :) what he does with alternative F-mount lenses is supernatural :lecture:

jonoslack

I don't get it why it was discontinued, well probably something about the new Zeiss ZF line-up made at the same Cosina factory ?
What a pity.
I'm hoping it's just that the older lenses were not chipped, and the newer ones are . . . maybe it will come back again in chipped form. I do hope so.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
About a year ago, they had one of those in a small camera shop here in Bangkok. I thought "What an interesting lens. I have to find out if it's any good.". Then, I went home to discover that it was indeed very good :lecture:

So I returned to the camera shop, only to discover that it was already gone :cry: Every time I need to remind myself what a complete fool I am, I think about that episode, and slap myself 15 times ritually over my head :banghead:

Congratulations Paul, and welcome here. Your photos are really outstanding, and I suspect it's not only because of the lens :)

Terry

Welcome Paul...I like what I see above, lens and photographer.

It will be interesting to hear your thoughts as you use it more. My first Nikon mount Voigtlander lens arrived today (58 f1.4). I like their lenses!

robmac

Paul - welcome. Have seen a lot of your excellent work on Nikoncafe. Any word when your ZF site will be up?

On the 125, I actually had one in EOS mount and sold it when prices went nuts. For Nikon shooters, APO glass election is limited, but as a canon shooter (for now) it didn't really win me over given the alternatives I had such as a used Leica 100 APO - even with stop-down on the Leica. However, a 100 APO on a Nikon takes a talented machine shop (S.K. Grimes?). I'm looking fwd to hearing Paul's impressions as he moved fwd, but my $0.02 for anyone looking at one:

Pros - Buttery bokeh, VERY sharp macro, sharp (note difference) non-macro, APO, well-thought-out hood (metal with cap and secure bayonet), screw-in metal lens cap when hood off. When first brought to market, a no-brainer price/performance ratio.

Cons - Construction is just ok (hold lens by mount and shake lightly can feel inner and outer barrel contact each other). Focus is VERY slow and slightly stiff (single helicoid ?) -- it was designed as macro lens and for a price point WELL below what it is selling for now. The price now is simply based on rarity. At it's origional price it was a bloody steal for what it delivered.

Also bear in mind that any 'Cons' are within the context of the price paid. For $500 vs $1200+ the con list gets much, much shorter given the IQ laid down at that price. Take the Mamiya 200/2.8 APO (on a DSLR); for $600 it's a rampaging steal for its resolution, APO performance and construction, but for double that - the ergonomics (front heavy) could use some work.

For a Nikon shooter who wants a 100ish mm APO lens, it would worth considering if you don't mind trying one at collector prices. I just wish Zeiss/Cosina had put APO functionality (and a double helicoid) in the 125's step-brother the 100ZF. Some of the mechanical/cosmetic similarities between the 125 and the 100ZF, which I've also owned, are uncanny.

If CV could put APO elements in SHARP, butter-bokeh lenses for under $500, shouldn't be hard to do in ZF units that start at $800 (50/1.4 aside) that are built in the same factory -- and with at least some input from the same mechanical engineers.

A dealer mentioned to me that he thinks CV may be bringing out an SLII line of it's longer lenses which would (with the implied sharp drop in prices) be very tempting. That said, I have no idea what validity the comment has.

If no SLII 125 comes out, trying one shouldn't cost you anything - might even make you some money if you decide to sell. However, IF an 125 SLII does rear it's head...

IF anyone is interested, there are a couple of 125s for sale on eBay in Minolta mount (fit Sony?), some idiot trying to sell a Nikon mount unit for $1900 and a Canon mount unit (the rarest and costliest - 100 or so ever made) for sale on FM for $1250.

Last edited:
P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Thanx Rob.

Well its far to early for me to give any strong opinion of the VG 125/2,5.

However i can agree with you(from my initial impression) regarding the the "slow" focusing. I find the 100/2 ZF alot faster and acutally more precise in this regard. While the build is very similar, the ZF 100/2 is better both when it comes to finnish and mechanical "smoothess"

By faster i mean:
I find it much easier to "fine tune" with the ZF 100 then with the VG 125(meaning by just turning the focus ring by less the 1mm incraments. The 125/2,5 seems to have a bigger "throw" so i have to turn it a bit more to see the effect in the VF.

I dont have a problem paying a some what hefty price tag(to some) for neither the 100/2 ZF or the VG 125/2,5 iv owned most nikkor lenses in the FL worth mentioning and none of them are superior (imo) In fact if i was to get anything from Nikon in this FL it would be the older ais lenses like 105/2,5 or 105/1,8 ais.

So my impression will be based on the lens performance on a Nikon D3/D2X, not on what i paid for them. And my reference will be the lenses iv owned (wich is exlusively Nikors)

I personally dont mind the lenses being without a chip, only advantages i would see is that you dont have to set the lens data in camera after mounting it. I user the aperture ring on all my lenses (on those wich have one offcourse) even the New SL lens Voigtländer 58/1,4. Wich is a great lens, but still they cheaped out on the build compared to the Zeiss 50/1,4.

So if a new SL II line will ermerge for the longer lenses, im afraid the build will not be improved, it will probebly be a little "cheaper."

As for APO design in the 100/2, yes i agree it would have been welcomed, but its should be noted that unless you shoot in highcontrast scenes wide open it wont really be a problem for most people.

Thus far im liking what i see from this lens, and my intent for now is to keep it(mainly for food photography and macro). But if i was to chose between the ZF 100/2 and the VG 125/2,5 i would without doubt keep the Zeiss.

robmac

Paul,

Agree pretty well across the board. As you mention, the 125 has a VERY fine focus 'screw pitch' vs the 100 ZF and from my experience almost any other lens I've tried including the Hassy 110/2 or Mamiya 200/2.8 APO (both fine focus pitch medium format glass I use/used on my 1Ds2).

As a Canon shooter (at least for now), the options via adapters are broader, so there are always a myriad of other lenses in a given FL to compare against (albeit with stop-down).

For me:

If a Canon shooter: Leica vs ZF vs CZ? Leica (used) every time.

If a Nikon user:

1. ZF vs. CV? ZF (better all-round lens).

2. ZF vs CZ vs 105/2.5 or 105 VR (+ some $$$ in my jeans)? Don't know, would have to try the Nikon's myself. My Nikon (D1, D1H) days were some time ago (although that may change with the D700).

I've had CA/PF issues with some ZF units such as the 35 and 100 WO or close to it in high contrast scenes and do wish for the price, the 100 had APO.

That said, I am tempted to try the 50/2 ZF M - reportedly very well corrected for CA (based on Lloyd Cramer's review) - would love to hear your thoughts on the lens.

Have seen some nice work from the older Nikon 105s and they seem to compare very well against the ZF for the $$$ (albeit on the one test I saw - http://www.pbase.com/andrease/zeissais). On strong attribute of the 100 ZF vs. the competition is it's flare resistance.

An older test here did show a strong performance of the new 105 VR vs. the ZF on, I think, a D3.

Don't mind paying big $$$ for lenses (having gone through a Leica APO 'period' with the 90, both 180s and the 100), but to me a lens always has to deliver and handle in a manner commensurate with it's price tag.

Now, this is assuming I have other options to deliver what I want in that FL. If not, the lack of competition requires, in many cases, a premium, justified or not, be paid.

On Canon, custom encoded adapters will enable limited exif data, but it's not that big a deal not having it. As you mention with the newer Nikon bodies with AiS lens data input, EXIF is not that a deal. Much like yourself, I prefer lenses with an aperture ring.

On the construction of any new SLII line - probably right., but for the right price/performance in the mount I want, I'll put up with some flimsy construction ;>

A test of the 105/2.5 vs some other lenses folks might find interesting - can't vouch for the results as the 110/2 lens performance is far worse than I saw on my 1Ds2 using the 110/2 F.

http://24x36.org/tests/100mm/test100mm.html

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

As far as the 105/2,8 VR goes, well i owned it a couple of months,great allrounder for sure. But imo it dosent excel at anything. Ca increased when you stopped it down wich was kind of unusal.

Personally if i was after a AF macro, the Tamron 90/2,8 would be my choice. I quite disslike the build and design of the 105/2,8 VR with its obtrusive barrel and imo quite bad focus ring (for mf)

So the choice between the three would be a no brainer.

The ca/pf issues is also related to the sensor (blooming) the 35/2 ZF does exhibit ca wide open in highcontrast scenes, i havent been bothered with it yet though.

The makro planar 50/2 is indeed more or less CA free. If i was to chose 1 50mm ( i have the ZF 50/1,4 Voigtländer 58/1,4, Nikkor 50/1,8, soon sigma 50/1,4) the makro planar would for sure be the one i keep. Precise and smooth focus (just like the 100/2)

The older Nikkors does indeed keep up fairly well, latest issue of proffsfoto(sweden largest phot mag. for pro's) had article regarding the two makro planars, and they did a comparison between the 100/2 ZF Nikkor 105/2,8 VR and the Nikkor 105/2,5 Ais. It turned out that the 105/2,5 Ais outperformed the VR in some areas and hold up pretty well to the Zeiss.

Yes its my uggly mug in the paper....:)

Im quite fond of my 180/4 Voigtländer SL, its a underrated lens due to its speed(aperture wise) imo

While the 125/2,5 Voigtländer certainly correct ca by its APO design, its clearly more prone to flare then the 100/2 ZF (wich is quite resistant imo) Just noticed this when i was out today with the D3+125/2,5 voigtländer.

As for the pricetag, weighing the options and considering the prices compared to Nikkors, i think the ZF line is quite a bargain.

Main reason for aquiring the 125/2,5 voigtländer (considering the similarites to the ZF 100/2) was the 1:1 ability, as i didnt own a 1:1 macro, but offcourse out of curiosity and the APO design. The voigtländer 180/4 has certainly made me want to closer to the SL lineup, and the new SLII like vg 58/1,4 certainly is a interesting option.

I for one is very happy that Zeiss and Voigtländer(regardless of where, and by whom these lenses are made) offers Nikon users theses lenses, choice is most of the time a good thing.

Last edited:

robmac

Paul,

Interesting comments on the 105VR vs Tamron, have to bear that in mind. As you say curiosity has cost me my fair amount of cash.... Oh well, only live one, right/maybe?
Like yourself, don't care who makes the glass - as long as it works. Also found the 100 ZF very flare resistant.

I could see the 50 ZF M being added to my (pared down) line up - regardless of which body I stay with. Am also contemplating the 180/4, but already having a 280/2.8 APO at roughly same price, am still undecided.

As for the 105/2.5 - for the $$ involved (much like my Mamiya 150/3.5N), it would be worth having one it the bag.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

The Tamron is certainly a "bargain" lens, optically equally if not better then the New Nikkor 105/2,8 (to me maybe not better, but more to my liking) Build, its plastic for sure, eventhough the focusing ring is supringly smooth (better then the new nikkor).

Yes curiosity can be expensive hehe :)

The 50/2 ZF deserves a look at for sure. .-)

The 180/4 is simply a lovely little lens, its a keeper for sure. I also shoot with the 180/2,8 Ais but if im gonna stop down the voigtländer is my first choice.

Yes the 105/2,5 can be had for a bargain price, so adding it wouldnt cost much.

/Paul L.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

How do you find the focus on the 180 CV ? Heard reports some samples were very stiff.
Its well damped and smooth, it does have a little "play" just like the 125/2,5 (even though the 125/2,5 have noticble more)

The Zeiss (this goes for all of them) simply dont have this "play" when you turn the focus ring back and forth, you dont feel that little "rattle" or "play".

Actually none of my ais nikkor have this either. 135mm/2 ais, and 180/2,8 ais or the new 58/1,4 Voigtländer.

Still i find it to be very easy to focus on the D3.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Unfortunately, I ordered the 180 Voigtlander from B&H on June 4th (paid for it) and have still not received it. Stephen Gandy is reporting on his site that it is discontinued and "sold out" at the factory. I have relayed that to B&H and asked them to find out (for the second time) what the status is. I guess if I want this lens, I will have to pay the higher close-out price from SG.

robmac

Yeah, SG has a habit of pricing his lenses like an art collector - supply goes down, prices go up.

I think machinists call this 'backlash' - essentially a slop in tolerances in a geared mechanism.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Cindy, what have B&H told you ? they should have it up for order if its discontinued. I would hang on a little longer, just to get a final word from B&H saying they cant get one for you.

I had to wait at least one and a half month for mine.. :-(

It was well worth imo.