Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Excellent folks. On behalf of all we fences-sitters, thanks and keep the impressions coming. Had been seeing comments about D3 users finding D700 shots requiring less USM, so speculation abounds about somewhat thinner AA filter - which I always consider a plus.
    You and me both Rob - but I'm not very convinced, and I'm not sure why they would re-make the decision (but what do I know). My D3 went out of the door the day before the D700 came in, so I have no way of making a valid comparison.

I'm pretty camera agnostic, but when it comes to Nikon this year, I'm impressed - and that takes some doing.

The D3, D700, new lenses, D3X all but a given, further lenses rumored, now chatter about some form of modular-sensor camera AND renewed rumors of a re-entry into digital RFs. Talk about momentum. Even giving the deserved credence to the various rumors/leaks, it certainly looks like Nikon has listened to it's customer base and is headed in the right direction with a vengeance.
    I must say, I think the modular sensor camera and the rangefinder are likely to prove to have been what people want, rather than what they're gonna get!

Having realised that there is a market for the D3 sensor in the D700, I hope that they'll realise that the same is true for the D3x (D4 whatever). I would have thought that this time they might be tempted to bring out the smaller version first (to nip Sony in the bud with the A900).

Actually, while I can see the need for the bigger D3 body for PJ and sports photographers, I'm not so sure that the Studio / Fashion / Travel / Landscape photographers who will want the higher pixel count are going to want a big body (I certainly don't).

I thought that my time with the 12mp sensor would be just until the higher mp sensor arrived . . . . but I actually want both now - the DR, high ISO and resiliance of the D700/D3 files is so great -

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Jono, they are definitely too warm but I was not enjoying trying to fuss with the jpegs last night. I had never set up the D300 picture controls since I was always just shooting RAW and I didn't want to start really messing with those settings 10 minutes before walking out the door to the party. The brave part of the night was shooting it all of it manual focus. By the way the voigtlander lens is pretty snug and doesn't just "glide"into position and lock in when putting it on - as compared to my Nikon lenses. Same for you? Other than the warm color what I found were some weird things happening when I reduced the size and quality of the files for posting. Only showed up on one of my monitors. I brought the camera to work today so I can shoot outside in daylight and set a daylight WB.

It was nice to get the whole group in the picture and have the flash reasonably cover the area for an impromptu group shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice shots Terry. I'd wish you luck with your new camera, but judging by these early results, you won't need luck!

The Nikon momentum reminds me of that old saying about New England weather; "If you don't like the weather, just wait awhile". Waiting to pounce on the latest from Nikon has saved me from a D300 and a D3. The delicious challenge now is figuring out how much longer to wait.

Tim

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I meet Terry at Photo Village early this morning and tried out the D700 and it is really nice plus you can focus manual very easy better than the D300. I did not buy anything bummed out. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jono - agree. Think the whole modular thing is a dream someone had after some bad tequila. Digital RF? Maybe. New lenses, D3X maybe mini-me D3X: Yes, yes, and maybe?

It would cost them to re-vamp the AA filter and I have seen no proof myself yet, but some folks have claimed accordingly.. shall see I guess.

On an interesting point.

Just processed two D3 NEFs of a Bouvier (large black hairy dog for cat lovers). Taken at ISO 1000 with 200-400.

1. Processed the same pic in NX2 (trial) and Aperture.
    2. Shot was taken down in both respective packages by 2/3rds of stop to just get so indicated no blown highlights (black dog coming out of pool with white concrete ledge on sunny day did create an exposure problem).
    3. USM in both packages dialed to 0, then exported both as 16 bits Tiffs into CS3
    4. Sharpened the same in CS3 (am more familiar with USM in that package).

Observations:

- DAMN nice for ISO 1000. When looking at shot initially (with no USM) thought, nice but not stellar, then looked at ISO. Shooter kept ISO high to freeze movement, DoF was thin yet was shot at F7.1 and 280mm, so he must have been close.
    - Aperture did a MUCH better job processing the pic for shadow detail. NX2 seemed to want to rush to absolute black vs a myriad of subtle shades of very dark grey. Nose color also went to BLACK vs. the more accurate black-very-dark-grey with a subtle hint of green.
    - The 200-400 is a knock-out. Anything more than subtle USM broached the too-much-USM threshold with jaggies in hair, etc.

May try in C4 when get some more time. Original shooter indicates he prefers C4 for D3 shots vs NX2. On other hand, NX2 has d-lighting (nice) and u-point which will work an any tiff, so might still be worth buying if go Nikon route.
    Last edited by robmac; 28th July 2008 at 10:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim - I hear you. Have same weather here (Nova Scotia). D700 might be a worthwhile switch, might not.

Of greater interest for me than clean high ISO and form factor (both very nice mind you) are the more pro features (sealing, cleaner VFs, auto ISO, MF focus indicators, flash control, etc) Nikon is putting into it's 'cheaper' bodies and the improvements Nikon is making in it's wider lenses in (final) recognition (vs. Canon) of: a) the world has moved beyond film and b) people who don't shoot sports and wildlife for a living, would like some nice SHARP lenses at wider apertures as well.

The latter (along with MF ZF and CV glass) would be a nice escape from stop-down shooting and (sometimes flaky) adapters.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just processed two D3 NEFs of a Bouvier (large black hairy dog for cat lovers). Taken at ISO 1000 with 200-400.

2. Shot was taken down in both respective packages by 2/3rds of stop to just get so indicated no blown highlights (black dog coming out of pool with white concrete ledge on sunny day did create an exposure problem).
    3. USM in both packages dialed to 0, then exported both as 16 bits Tiffs into CS3

Observations:

- DAMN nice for ISO 1000. When looking at shot initially (with no USM) thought, nice but not stellar, then looked at ISO. Shooter kept ISO high to freeze movement, DoF was thin yet was shot at F7.1 and 280mm, so he must have been close.
    - Aperture did a MUCH better job processing the pic for shadow detail. NX2 seemed to want to rush to absolute black vs a myriad of subtle shades of very dark grey. Nose color also went to BLACK vs. the more accurate black-very-dark-grey with a subtle hint of green.
    - The 200-400 is a knock-out. Anything more than subtle USM broached the too-much-USM threshold with jaggies in hair, etc.

May try in C4 when get some more time. Original shooter indicates he prefers C4 for D3 shots vs NX2. On other hand, NX2 has d-lighting (nice) and u-point which will work an any tiff, so might still be worth buying if go Nikon route.
    I think that Aperture does a really excellent job as well - and of course, one doesn't necessarily need to export to a .tif in the first place (I think the direct printing is now very good, with secondary sharpening etc.)

Remember you can also buy the u-point for Aperture (Viveza plug in) which will work on any tiff as well - or any other camera raw file into the bargain.

I don't claim for a second that it's the BEST raw processor, but it's good enough for me to simply use it . . . I think there is a danger of angels dancing on the heads of pins!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sebasco View Post
    Hi Folks,

Shot as NEF, converted to JPEG in NX2 by removing all settings and then doing some post processing with DXO 5.2. Can't wait til the raw converters work, without hacks, etc., on D700 images! Getting the correct white balance on a day where it is sunny on 1 side as you look up and stormy on the other is difficult when you don't have a raw converter, other than NX2 (not my favorite) to adjust appropriately

Here's a couple of shots taken at our home in the Berkshires this morning. Enjoy

Indoors, Outdoors, Indoors, Outdoors
    Hi There Sebasco
    I love your house . . . . big beams and strange objects is RIGHT up my street. Our beams are not as substantial as yours, but they're probably older

Anyway, Welcome - interesting shots . . . where is the 'Berkshires'?

Just this guy you know

LotC

"....Well, maybe you remember the F100, but it was the ultimate film camera in a small tough package - I think the D700 is finally it...."

Until the the D3xs arrives, when the D3 will become the new F100 and the D700 in turn becomes the new F80.........
    .....etc......

Post Thanks / Like

Jono - good point on Nik for Aperture. The latter has become a NICE piece of software. No need to export as you say - just need to get off my *** and get more in-tune with how Aperture USM behaves. It does have much easier/foolproof printing as you say.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono - good point on Nik for Aperture. The latter has become a NICE piece of software. No need to export as you say - just need to get off my *** and get more in-tune with how Aperture USM behaves. It does have much easier/foolproof printing as you say.
    The horrible problem with Apple in general, is that their whole attitude is 'trust me' . . . . . .
    But Aperture does seem quite trustworthy, not as the 'best of breed' in every situation perhaps, but as a convincing 'jack of all trades' with respect to photography

Just this guy you know

tetsrfun

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There Sebasco
    I love your house . . . . big beams and strange objects is RIGHT up my street. Our beams are not as substantial as yours, but they're probably older

Anyway, Welcome - interesting shots . . . where is the 'Berkshires'?
    Western Mass., USA

http://www.berkshires.org/

Steve

tetsrfun

I went to my local Nikon dealer today but they had just sold their last D700. I wanted to try the D700 + 14-24/2.8. When I tried this lens with my D300; the system seemed "unbalanced" and with the crop, it didn't seem cost effective. Has anyone used this lens with the D700?

Steve

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I know I went on record saying why buy a camera known for great AF only to use MF lenses. Well after trying out the Voigtlander 58 this weekend and having a weak moment this morning at Photo Village (after not letting our fearless leader Guy buy yet another camera bag!!), I decided what the hey and bought the Voigtlander 40mm f2 pancake lens. It makes a very small little package to walk around with and I actually enjoy the manual focus on this camera....you feel more engaged in the picture making process. So, on my way home from work I snapped a few shots to give you an idea of what this lens can do. I've been shooting everything wide open to get a feel for the camera and DOF at different focus distances. If anyone wants me to do a torture test (Guy style) on this lens just let me know. Again these are the jpegs straight from the camera with some enhancement with the clarity slider in Lightroom.

First three are me just checking out the bokeh
    Attachment 6521

Attachment 6522

Attachment 6523

This one has some vignetting going on will have to do some more work as the sun was setting just behind the Time Warner towers
    Attachment 6526

Seems like the only one giving me their attention was the dog
    Attachment 6525
    Last edited by Terry; 28th July 2008 at 17:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Truly Superb Terry....first three / bokeh
    Wow, just love it!
    Are all the shots on the way home w/ with the 40 Voigt ?

Best-helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Helen. I'm having fun! Since I say that about all of my cameras I must like photography or buy fun cameras!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow guys, this looks like THE camera to have, that's for sure. Wonderful stuff!

Terry, you WORKED the Voigtlander lenses, love the "look" with both of them.

Can't wait to see more, keep the pictures comin'!
    Regards,
    Joan

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Joan. This is a great camera! A ton of stuff that I haven't even scratched the surface of in terms of learning.

Post Thanks / Like

According to Nikon Indonesia, the earliest time that we can get Nikon D700 is August 1st...
    I can't wait to get mine
    I love the size of it

Andree

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Andree,
    The good news is it is only a couple of days away!

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    According to Nikon Indonesia, the earliest time that we can get Nikon D700 is August 1st...
    I can't wait to get mine
    I love the size of it

Andree

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I played with Terry's CV 40mm pancake for a few minutes this morning and it is a little sweetie. The D700 from what i saw and played with this morning is a winner. It is a D3 with a lot smaller package. I'm still waiting fo Photokinia but if nothing earth shattering coming this would be a good back up for me. That darn GX 200 was really nice to play with also this morning. Can't believe I did not buy something this morning. Must have been a weak moment.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Terry - very nice. RE: the 40/2 (ignoring the D700 for moment), great color and clarity.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry - very nice. RE: the 40/2 (ignoring the D700 for moment), great color and clarity.
    I don't have a lot of experience at dissecting the signature of lenses but to me this 40 looks a lot more like what I get out of the M8 than some of my other Nikon lenses. Perhaps some of it is the difference between the D3 and D300. What ever it comes down to, I like it. The 40 is so tiny!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I don't have a lot of experience at dissecting the signature of lenses but to me this 40 looks a lot more like what I get out of the M8 than some of my other Nikon lenses. Perhaps some of it is the difference between the D3 and D300. What ever it comes down to, I like it. The 40 is so tiny!!!!
    Terry have you tried live view with that lens? I'm just wondering, because I couldn't figure out how to get live view to work when I set the aperture on the lens on the D300 and was wondering if the D700 may have changed that. Thanks Clay

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice shots Terry, enjoy the new camera. If anyone has a photo of the D700 next to the M8 I'd love to see how they compare size wise.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    I haven't tried live view with it but I'm also not setting the aperture on the lens. You essentially turn the lens to f16 or 22 (whichever it goes to) and the the command wheel on the camera takes over. If you don't do that you get a flashing EE and you can't take the shot (at least in aperture priority).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Nice shots Terry, enjoy the new camera. If anyone has a photo of the D700 next to the M8 I'd love to see how they compare size wise.
    LOL David. I sat them next to each other last night and was going to post a shot. With a small pancake the difference is totally not bad. Mount the 24-70 or any of the pro zooms and it looks huge. If someone hasn't posted before then, I will tonight when I get home.

sebasco

Hi Jono,

Thanks for the kind words. The Berkshires are indeed in Western, Massachusetts. I love the morning light in our house there.

As for the photos, to me at least, they look a tad hot on the post above but not so elsewhere. Maybe I am doing something wrong when I resize them for the web?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry, would love to see them side by side. Here's a pic I grabbed from the web showing the D3 and it's little brother. BTW, I noticed for the first time that the D700 specs include weather sealing... very important for me down here in Florida.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sorry - shocking picture, done in haste:

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmm
    Silver Efex Pro in Aperture doesn't seem too bad to me:

What Fun

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Selling my new D300 tomorrow, at a 15% loss from what I paid for it in May. When I lost my D2X, the D700 was the camera my lenses needed - except it didn't quite exist yet. Had I known, I would never have got the D300.

Somehow this means that Nikon earned a few hundred euros from me, by not declaring a product roadmap. While such corporate behavior is mainstream, it doesn't mean I like it. At all.

Looking back to the film days, what a difference it is wrt product cycles... and we are the ones paying for it. Sure, you can argue that nobody forces anyone to buy a camera - but in this particular case, Nikon has not brought even a remotely affordable camera to market that can properly use lenses such as 85/1.4D and 135/2D DC. So while I do look forward to getting a D700 in a few months, there is a certain bitter aftertaste to the whole thing. Hrmph.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    Selling my new D300 tomorrow, at a 15% loss from what I paid for it in May. When I lost my D2X, the D700 was the camera my lenses needed - except it didn't quite exist yet. Had I known, I would never have got the D300.

Somehow this means that Nikon earned a few hundred euros from me, by not declaring a product roadmap. While such corporate behavior is mainstream, it doesn't mean I like it. At all.
    Hi Lars
    but they're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. The D2x was announced nearly 6 months in advance, and all that happened was that there was huge bitching about why it took so long. Roadmaps are dangerous anyway, you may get overtaken by events - Olympus pulled the E1 replacement at the last moment - probably because it was 8mp and the rest of the world was more. I suspect that the same thing may have happened with the 5D replacement.

I don't think you should feel bitter - 15% doesn't sound too awful (nothing like the loss I made on my D3 that I bought in April . . I actually lost £1000; the whole price of a D300!!!).

I do hope you like your D700 - I'm loving mine

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I finally got a chance to see and feel the D700 today. To be honest, I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I did not like the feel of the grip as much as the D3 (the normal grip, not the vertical grip), and I was not as big of a fan of the viewfinder (I did not like the new focus brackets which are thicker and black). The shutter did not feel the same either -- viewfinder blackout was longer (still very short) and the whole camera sort of lacked the "instant" feel of the D3. It did not feel much lighter to me either, but I did not have much time with it. The CF door feels chintzy too, but I suppose as long as it works and is still weather-sealed. Don't get me wrong, the body still feels extremely rugged and the VF is nice...it just did not feel as "refined" as the D3. I really did not suspect that this would bother me, but it does. I think I am going to wait until I can either rent one or borrow one to get a real feel for it. Even then, I will probably wait until I can find a used one if I decide to make the switch. I was not expecting it to FEEL like 2000 dollars less camera than the D3, but in a way, it does. These are minor issues and if I was buying today from scratch, I would without question get the D700, but given that I have the D3, even selling it and getting 700-1000 dollars back over the cost of it does not really feel like the best plan. I need to give it some more thought.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stuart,
    You are welcome to come by and take mine for a walk in the park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you Terry! I may take you up on that at some point. I am out of town for the next day or two, but when I get back I should have my Hy6/54LV, so you are welcome to check that out while I look at your D700!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Just processed the same file in C1 V4 and, as the original shooter who shared his files with me had stated, C1 blows both Nx2 and Aperture away re: shadow detail. Didn't even bother trying them in Cs3.

Images come up, so far, as cleaner, FAR more shadow detail, etc. NX2 just rushed to absolute blacks with Aperture somewhere in between but closer to C1. Seems like the boys at Phase 1 know what they're doing. I would assume the results will be the same for the D700.

Surprised me as in my older D1/H days, the Nikon software tended to yield the best results.

On an interesting point.

Observations:

May try in C4 when get some more time. Original shooter indicates he prefers C4 for D3 shots vs NX2. On other hand, NX2 has d-lighting (nice) and u-point which will work an any tiff, so might still be worth buying if go Nikon route.[/QUOTE]

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sorry - shocking picture, done in haste:

Thanks Jono... pretty much what I figured. BTW, I've taken worse when in a hurry

asabet

The horrible problem with Apple in general, is that their whole attitude is 'trust me' . . . . . .
    That's the good part as well as the bad part with Apple, no?

But Aperture does seem quite trustworthy, not as the 'best of breed' in every situation perhaps, but as a convincing 'jack of all trades' with respect to photography
    I'm pretty familiar with C1, Raw Developer, Lightroom/ACR, and a couple others. For some reason, it's proving a bit more difficult for me to get comfortable with Aperture. The results seem very good though, so I'm going to keep at it for a while longer. Looking forward to joining in on the D700 fun tomorrow .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin,
    I was wondering when you were going to join the thread as I knew you ordered a D700. Looking forward to your thoughts and pictures.

asabet

Thanks Terry. Your 58mm party photos were great! I know your CV 40mm photos were mainly test images, but they too put that lens in a very desirable light. I love my little 40mm Zuiko lens, and the CV 40 is a lens I'll continue to follow closely. I hope you'll be posting more with it soon.

It will probably take me a while to get going with the D700. To start with, I need to figure out how to get the camera to understand that I'm putting a 50mm f/2 manual focus computer chip-less lens on it. From the sound of things, my first Nikon DSLR offers an intimidating degree of customization!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amin, here is my best piece of Nikon advice. Let auto ISO be your friend. You set your working ISO range (for me 200-6400 unless I want to lock it down at 200 for landscapes) and then minimum shutter speed (if camera wants to go below this speed it bumps up ISO).

So, take my party and the 58mm f1.4 lens. The room had some bright and very dark areas. My only job was deciding on what depth of field I wanted. When I downloaded the 300 plus pictures they ranged from ISO 200 when I had the lens wide open in a bright area to ISO 5000 when I was stopped down in a dark area. 1/60 minimum shutter setting took care of the motion blur. if you are out chasing the kids around, set it to 1/250 or whatever and you are good to go.

It also makes using those voigtlanders which as you say are chipped a sinch!

asabet

Auto ISO sounds amazing. It's one of the features to which I'm most looking forward with the new camera. It also seems like a no brainer. Can't imagine why Canon hasn't implemented a similar feature.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    Auto ISO sounds amazing. It's one of the features to which I'm most looking forward with the new camera. It also seems like a no brainer. Can't imagine why Canon hasn't implemented a similar feature.
    Hi Amin
    What Terry said - auto ISO is the dog's doodah.
    While you're about it, turn auto white balance off! - sunlight in the daytime and tungsten when it isn't. Why let the camera make wild decisions about the colour you want!

As for the 50mm f2 chipless lens? no problem - find the non-cpu option in the menu, put in the focal length and minimum aperture and you're away.

Please don't tell me it's the Zeiss macro - I want one so bad . . . and I really shouldn't spend another wadge of dosh to duplicate a position I already have!

Just this guy you know

asabet

Hi Amin
    What Terry said - auto ISO is the dog's doodah.
    While you're about it, turn auto white balance off! - sunlight in the daytime and tungsten when it isn't. Why let the camera make wild decisions about the colour you want!

As for the 50mm f2 chipless lens? no problem - find the non-cpu option in the menu, put in the focal length and minimum aperture and you're away.

Hi Jono! That does sound pretty easy. One more day to wait...

Please don't tell me it's the Zeiss macro - I want one so bad . . . and I really shouldn't spend another wadge of dosh to duplicate a position I already have!

Okay I won't tell you . I will say that this lens has been staring at me for days waiting for the D700. Fortunately the good folks at Brightscreen were very quick. From what I've gathered, they got the cameras on Friday morning, installed the custom screens, and shipped them out Fed Ex 2-day yesterday. My wonderful wife has agreed to spend most of the day around home tomorrow so that we don't miss the delivery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry,
    congrats with new camera and lenses, your initial results are looking very nice!
    I'm particularly interested in how the 2/40 Voigtländer lens performs. (Third shot is a gem, btw). I suppose you haven't had time to test it extensively yet. Since I got rid of the 2/35 Zeiss ZF, I've been considering this little lens as a walk around all-purpose alternative for my D3.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Well, I finally got a chance to see and feel the D700 today. To be honest, I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I did not like the feel of the grip as much as the D3 (the normal grip, not the vertical grip), and I was not as big of a fan of the viewfinder (I did not like the new focus brackets which are thicker and black). The shutter did not feel the same either -- viewfinder blackout was longer (still very short) and the whole camera sort of lacked the "instant" feel of the D3. It did not feel much lighter to me either, but I did not have much time with it. The CF door feels chintzy too, but I suppose as long as it works and is still weather-sealed. Don't get me wrong, the body still feels extremely rugged and the VF is nice...it just did not feel as "refined" as the D3. I really did not suspect that this would bother me, but it does. I think I am going to wait until I can either rent one or borrow one to get a real feel for it. Even then, I will probably wait until I can find a used one if I decide to make the switch. I was not expecting it to FEEL like 2000 dollars less camera than the D3, but in a way, it does. These are minor issues and if I was buying today from scratch, I would without question get the D700, but given that I have the D3, even selling it and getting 700-1000 dollars back over the cost of it does not really feel like the best plan. I need to give it some more thought.
    Got my D700 yesterday. But for it's main purpose, I wasn't seeing it as a replacement for my D3 in any way ... it is a replacement for the D300 I just sold. Now I have a companion back-up camera to the main D3 shooter at weddings that delivers the same FF IQ. The D3 shoots to 2 CFs at once, and that feature alone makes it king of the wedding bag.

So far, I like the camera. You pick up a camera and either take to it or not.

In it's second intended purpose for use with manual ZF and other MF optics: it's a little taller than the D300 and feels more substantual ... but begins creeping away from that small, easy to carry everywhere, "almost replacement" for my Leica M that the D300 with Zeiss ZF optics represented. But the gain is that the ZF25 and ZF28 are now wide angle lenses again : -)

For obvious reasons, the viewfinder of the D700 is much better than the D300 ... and I found manual focusing much easier and more accurate than the D300 (which I had to install a BrightScreen magnifier to even use effectively.) After shooting a bit with a manual lens, I do not see the need for a BrightScreen mag on the D700.

I agree that the CF door could be seen as less substantual, but it's the same design as the Canon 5D, which never was a problem and was actually a bit faster to work with. Time will tell.

It's getting it's shake down cruise at a wedding I will be shooting this Saturday. Weddings are a "trial by fire", and weakness rear their head amost immediately.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arne Hvaring View Post
    Hi Terry,
    congrats with new camera and lenses, your initial results are looking very nice!
    I'm particularly interested in how the 2/40 Voigtländer lens performs. (Third shot is a gem, btw). I suppose you haven't had time to test it extensively yet. Since I got rid of the 2/35 Zeiss ZF, I've been considering this little lens as a walk around all-purpose alternative for my D3.
    Hi Arne,
    I am was going to take the D700 and 2/40 to work to go out and play at lunchtime. Im in NYC so no big landscape shots can be done anything you are interested in me testing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Terry,
    oh, just the usual suspects, resolution and flatness of field across the frame at far and close distances, microcontrast, saturation, flare, handling, focusing ease etc. Comprehensive report expected shortly after lunch
    Seriously though, if you can look at some of these properties over time, I'd be thankful.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah - and can you cut a couple of MTF graphs if you an extra get 5 minutes? ;>

Like Arne, I've gone the ZF route with less success than the average and while am thinking of a 28/2 as a last test of how long myself and Zeiss/Cosina QC get along, the 40/2 looks like a sweet unit in terms of resolution and color for the $$.

One question (having never used a pancake-esque lens) is how easy to you find such a thin lens to focus?