Site Sponsors
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post

One question (having never used a pancake-esque lens) is how easy to you find such a thin lens to focus?
    No issue at all, it felt natural and not awkward and I wasn't fiddling around to "find" the focus ring. I also don't have the experience that all of you guys using "alternative" lenses have. But, Guy also handled the lens. I'll send him a note and let him chime in.

Now I have to get to work so I can have a lunch break to find some brick walls.....
    Last edited by Terry; 30th July 2008 at 05:23.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually the lens focused quite well. It was very smooth and popped right in focus very easily. Credit the D700 for popping in easily it is a lot better to manual focus than the D300. But i was pretty darn impressed by the 40mm. Judging by what Terry has showed from reality images it looks darn good. Now maybe in some brick wall tests against a Zeiss 50mm macro it may not hold up as well. But we shoot images not brick walls too. For the 379 dollar entry fee it is small , light and has nice image quality. Certainly something to look at.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. The 50/2 has it's appeal, BUT : it has a 300 deg focus rotation (not so great for quick shots) and costs > 2x the 40/2. I can see more $$$ sliding away....

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked again at CQ page - what's the low-down on this 'close-up' lens that (at least he) ships with the 40/2? Gimmick or does it actually add anything to the equation?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks guys. The 50/2 has it's appeal, BUT : it has a 300 deg focus rotation (not so great for quick shots) and costs > 2x the 40/2. I can see more $$$ sliding away....
    I keep nearly buying the 50/2 . . . and you're right, (although most of the focus rotation is very close up). but it isn't just twice the price:

zf 50 f2 macro: 530 gm 612
    CV nokton 58 f1.4: 320 gm 205
    CV 40 pancake: 200gm 205

That zeiss is a BIG lens (and near as damn it 3 times the price over here).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just looked again at CQ page - what's the low-down on this 'close-up' lens that (at least he) ships with the 40/2? Gimmick or does it actually add anything to the equation?
    I hadn't noticed that
    Here's the Robert White page:
    http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...-II-Aspherical

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, mine came with the close up lens. I've only used it on two shots of the lens cap with and without and the same for my computer keyboard. I think it is similar to other close up lenses I've used where you simply have a "set" focus distance away from the subject. That's how I tested it. I'm not sure I will find it ultra useful as i would prefer stronger magnification. However if I was reeeeeealllllly into traveling light on a walk and came upon a pretty flower....it is teeeeny weeeeny to throw in your pocket

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet #$%^ Jono. Buy the 50/2 in US - $1033 new or roughly for a clean $850 used one. Just find someone who travels to say NYC on occasion - just in case you get duff sample (though have yet to hear of a duff 50/2M)

For $400 vs $1000 (or $1200 in your case) .... Toss an extension tube (and close-up lens?) on the 40/2 and you've got a nice (small) 40/2 pseudo-macro - that's also chipped.

The ZF line performs well optically and remain tempting, but I find the prices at little rich for the macros given other offerings that come very close in performance. If they were APO I could live it with easier.

Thanks T

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Only a very small portion of that range is for normal shooting use of about 1m to infinity. All the rest of that focusing range is for macro.

The lens is really a stunner in all respects, wide open, macro, and even at distance.

Best,

Ray

asabet

Ray, do you use the hood with the ZF 50 macro ? The front element is so deeply recessed that I'm wondering whether I need to attach the hood at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

YEA Amin....Congrats !!
    Post some pix soooon
    Best-H

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Amin,

I never tried it without the hood, as I just always used it.

Sorry for not being able to answer.

Best,

Ray

asabet

Thanks Helen! Battery's charging now .

Ray, no problem. I was just wondering because I've never had a lens with a front element this protected before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your not going to need a hood on that Zeiss 50mm unless your almost facing the sun.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

The deep recess, as you suspect, acts like a built-in hood, so the bayonet-mount hood isn't required, as Guy mentions, unless the sun is at a very small angle to the front of the lens. Not the most elegant description, but the coffee hasn't sunk in yet.

Let us know what you think of the 50.

asabet

Thanks Guy and Rob. The lens seems great so far. I'll post more when I've had a bit more time with it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If anyone has a D700 and Lightroom 2 I am curious......

When Lightroom first opens the NEF and it shows on the screen (with the loading message) I like the color. Then when it is finished loading I'm not wild about the initial conversion of the files (they get warmer with more red). Anyone notice the same thing? Hopefully the color will get better when they get the formal D700 support in or it will be time for a custom profile.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    If anyone has a D700 and Lightroom 2 I am curious......

When Lightroom first opens the NEF and it shows on the screen (with the loading message) I like the color. Then when it is finished loading I'm not wild about the initial conversion of the files (they get warmer with more red). Anyone notice the same thing? Hopefully the color will get better when they get the formal D700 support in or it will be time for a custom profile.
    That'll be time to convert to DNG and use Aperture then

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Was talking to a D3 shooter via email and he mentioned same thing with LR2 Terry - colors warmer than with C1V4, Aperture, etc.

asabet

Sadly my D700 fun will be delayed by a week or so. I had a small problem with mine and sent it in for an exchange. In the meanwhile, I'll stay tuned and enjoy the great photos from everyone.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by asabet View Post
    Sadly my D700 fun will be delayed by a week or so. I had a small problem with mine and sent it in for an exchange. In the meanwhile, I'll stay tuned and enjoy the great photos from everyone.
    Hard Luck Amin
    Incidentally, you may be set on the brightscreen, but I'm finding focusing really easy on mine - even in pretty poor light.

I hope it gets sorted out soon.

Just this guy you know

asabet

Thanks Jono. I agree that the focus confirmation light works very well. I found it to be both more accurate and precise than a typical microprism/split screen for focusing on static objects. However, I enjoy seeing the image snap in and out of focus on a nice coarse grind screen. Unlike most folks, I don't like the rangefinder-esque quality of having everything appear in focus. I'm also not convinced that the focus confirmation lights will work well for moving objects (ie, my kids). The microprism is effective for that application, at least in my hands. Finally, I don't enjoy having to keep an eye on those lights in the bottom left corner. I'd love if they could optionally overlay the dot and two arrows at the location of the selected focus bracket.

Despite the above, for reasons I don't want to go into in detail at this time, I did end up asking Brightscreen to leave the custom screen out of my replacement D700. I've decided to go with the stock Nikon screen/focusing light approach. Also just ordered a 135/2.0 Ai-S to give those lights a workout .

The good news is that I have plenty of work work and family work to occupy me until my new D700 arrives . I trust that Brightscreen will ship my new D700 as soon as they receive the one I shipped out today. Preliminary impressions of both the D700 and Zeiss 50 macro were extremely positive.

All the best,
    Amin
    Last edited by asabet; 31st July 2008 at 12:39.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono. I agree that the focus confirmation light works very well. I found it to be both more accurate and precise than a typical microprism/split screen for focusing on static objects. However, I enjoy seeing the image snap in and out of focus on a nice coarse grind screen.
    HI Amin
    I never use the focus confirmation - you can see the screen snap in and out of focus really easily on the basic screen. I'd much rather rely on that.
    I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is. My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
    I hate split screens / microprisms - may be easier to focus, but I find it impossible to compose with them.

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Amin
    I never use the focus confirmation - you can see the screen snap in and out of focus really easily on the basic screen. I'd much rather rely on that.
    I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is. My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
    I hate split screens / microprisms - may be easier to focus, but I find it impossible to compose with them.
    Amen to that, i really dont need a split/microprism for the D3 VF, its so clean and big that one easily see whats in focus or not.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.R.Lindqvist View Post
    Amen to that, i really dont need a split/microprism for the D3 VF, its so clean and big that one easily see whats in focus or not.
    HI Paul
    Absolutely, and although the D700 isn't quite 100% like the D3, I really didn't notice a step down in quality or brightness focusing is a breeze (and it's really nice that it's not connected with focus points)

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Have to agree from my very limited time with the d700 with both of Terry's CV lenses focusing was a breeze and did not even look at the green light. A lot better than the D300 to manually focus.

asabet

HI Amin
    I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is.
    I hope that I have the same experience. I've yet to see a modern camera with a steep parabola of focus in the default screen, and I've been told that the default D3 screen is slightly inferior to the Canon Ee-S in this respect. All I know for sure is that I was much more accurate/precise using the focusing lights in the D700 than I have been with the Ee-S screen in the 5D.

My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
    I only had the D700 for a single evening, but my experience was that the slightest nudge of the manual focus caused the focus confirmation to complain. Sounds like you have sharper eyes than I. If I feel as you do once I have the default screen, I will be one happy customer.

Regards,
    Amin

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the Way to the Pub:

Last night we went to the pub for the quiz - of course we walked, so that nobody had to drive home.

Sometimes it get's tiring, so a piggy-back is in order:

(and that was before the drinking!).

Both shots with the D700 and the Zeiss 25 f2.8

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A little nature is always a good thing.

Mind you, I think I disturbed these two at a tender moment:

Not too many butterflies this year, but here's one:

Both taken with the D700 and the 70-300 cheapo nikkor

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow - your drunk processing is better than my sober stuff!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow - your drunk processing is better than my sober stuff!
    I don't know about that - but taking a picture with a piggy-back is quite a challenge.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Jono. Between my Scottish wife and business, I've spent a bit of time in the UK, and am starting to wish I'd traveled more in your neck of the woods vs. London and north of the 'border'. You picked a nice spot to live sir.

Getting more and more respect for the 70-300.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice Jono. Between my Scottish wife and business, I've spent a bit of time in the UK, and am starting to wish I'd traveled more in your neck of the woods vs. London and north of the 'border'. You picked a nice spot to live sir.

Getting more and more respect for the 70-300.
    Thank you Rob - my wife is 1/4 Scottish, so I can identify with all your troubles
    If you don't use telephoto all that much, that 70-300 is a bit of a no-brainer really. We're off to the Cambridge Folk Festival this evening, I don't want to travel heavily, so I think I'll take:

25 ZF
    40 Ultron
    58 Nokton
    70-300 (well, you do have to take a few pictures of the artists!).

It IS lovely around here, but it's rather an acquired taste - flat - really flat, there's almost no landscape to speak of, so you have to rely on trees. When we first moved here 20 years ago I had been living in London, and I just didn't see how to take pictures - nowadays I'm doing a bit better, but it's still a bit of a challenge.

Cornwall (where I was brought up, and where we have a house) is quite different - so beautiful . . . but then I sometimes finds it hard to actually say anything . . . . I guess it isn't meant to be easy, is it!

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only had the D700 for a single evening, but my experience was that the slightest nudge of the manual focus caused the focus confirmation to complain. Sounds like you have sharper eyes than I. If I feel as you do once I have the default screen, I will be one happy customer.

Regards,
    Amin
    Hmm, I hope for your sake that I don't have sharper eyes! Mine used to be perfect, but nowadays I'm quite long sighted - I've taken to contact lenses for photography - which does help. Focusing on the default screen still seems easy though. Let's hope you're the happy customer.

Just this guy you know

sebasco

Here's a pic of the George Eastman House taken today while on a walk. It was about to storm. Behind me it was sunny and ahead of me it was threatening.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Sebasco
    My Favorite kind of light - lovely shot.

Just this guy you know

asabet

Received my replacement D700 today, and so far so good . I only had 30 minutes or so to go outside after work. Just took some in-camera JPEG snaps of the kids. While waiting for the D700, I picked up a Nikon 135mm f/2.0 Ai-S used for just $350, and I am really impressed with this lens! Here's my f/2.0 test shot:

Jono, you were right. The default screen is pretty nice for focusing!

One with the Zeiss 50/2 macro:

Last edited by asabet; 6th August 2008 at 17:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aside from the shots being OUTSTANDING
    I can't believe how the Boys have Grown Up.....They Look Great!

best- h

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm glad you got the camera sorted out. Is the younger one the terror of the household?

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Aside from the shots being OUTSTANDING
    I can't believe how the Boys have Grown Up.....They Look Great!

best- h
    Thanks Helen !

I'm glad you got the camera sorted out. Is the younger one the terror of the household?
    The younger one Philip is definitely a rascal. His first complete sentence was "You're not the boss" directed at me. Everyone says he is exactly as I was at that age (3 years old). My mother loves to tell me "Amin, payback is a bitch" .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You sir, are the recipient of "The Parent's Curse". Sometime in your childhood, your mother said "I hope you have one just like you when you grow up!".

In my family, the boys tend to favor their uncles. I was a good kid (almost stupidly so) and my boy behaves more like my brother (the family scamp).
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My son behaves exactly like me and he is a handful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like I said: "Parent's Curse"
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

asabet

Here's the little "curse" again - D700, 135/2 AIS wide open, taken today:

I saw some reviews of this lens talking about soft wide open, haze at f/2, and I'm just not seeing that. Here's the full res version of the above shot. Here's another full-res example showing the sharpness of this lens at f/2. Bokeh is also really nice IMO. Definitely worth picking one up if you find a cheap good copy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And the D700? Are you happy with the body?

asabet

I'm still learning my way around it and need to read the manual but everything has been great so far. The shutter lag and viewfinder black out are noticeably shorter than on the 5D. Auto ISO is excellent. AF is brisk even with my old 28-105 zoom. Ergonomics and controls are well thought out. The viewfinder is bright, works well for manual focusing, and the coverage is enough for me. Other bonuses like the high-res LCD aren't that important to me, but nice to have. The body is still larger and heavier than I'd like. Overall I'm very happy with the D700. I need to get more comfortable with Aperture though.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even after owning the D300 I'm still learning the menus and functionality. Enjoy! I'm working on Lightroom 2 but may switch to Aperture. I want to understand the plug-ins/local adjustments on both before making the switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry

For a bunch of reasons I have stuck with Lightroom including the new 2.0. I still find much to like, but the plug in architecture of Aperture 2.0 is now beginning the segue to a new tool. I now have used demos or real versions of Silver Efex, Vivenza, Dodge and burn, etc and they just make the raw converter the stop of choice. For the most part you can get the final product almost right before going to Photoshop for final local adjustments. Really nice workflow.

All Aperture needs is a clone of the retouch brush from Lightroom to be a killer App. The retouch tool in Aperture, at the moment, is too lightweight to be considered against the Lightroom tool. Lightroom has the ability to brush sharpeness, clarity, saturation etc etc so that you have local controls that are unmatched elsewhere. But with the open architecture of Aperture, someone out there will produce the needed tool, I am sure.

Aperture will be declared the final winner, of that I am sure

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    I hear you but.... It seems to me that we always end up talking about going to photoshop and I have to believe that Adobe has a bit of an advantage in being able to add photoshop functionality to Lightroom including plug ins. I have this fear that the day I switch (an get proficient in Aperture) Lightroom will add everything we want.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody,
    I hear you but.... It seems to me that we always end up talking about going to photoshop and I have to believe that Adobe has a bit of an advantage in being able to add photoshop functionality to Lightroom including plug ins. I have this fear that the day I switch (an get proficient in Aperture) Lightroom will add everything we want.
    hi Terry
    I would think I 'go to photoshop ' once in a hundred shots these days (and that's normally for straightening verticals I'm WA buildings.

Just this guy you know