Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    hi Terry
    I would think I 'go to photoshop ' once in a hundred shots these days (and that's normally for straightening verticals I'm WA buildings.
    I understand that. Most of my shots are handled in Lightroom and not into photoshop. That's because Lightroom and Aperture are both robust programs. I'm just struggling with which model works better for me and how additional functionality will be added to each. I just need to take the time on both which will happen in a couple of weeks when I am at the beach on vacation.

asabet

I've not made many flower pictures before, but here's a go with the Zeiss 50/2 at f/8. I'm pleased with the way the delicate tones held up at ISO 2500. Aperture RAW conversion, no NR, cropped to vertical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    hi Terry
    I would think I 'go to photoshop ' once in a hundred shots these days (and that's normally for straightening verticals I'm WA buildings.
    If Aperture is like LR - non destructive - I suppose we will all have to to to PS occasionally for 'transformations'
    Sláinte

Robert.

Post Thanks / Like

It is startling that we'd even be talking about 'delicate tones' at ISO 2500 let alone seeing pics, even web-sized, of that quality. I suddenly feel old ;<

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    If Aperture is like LR - non destructive - I suppose we will all have to to to PS occasionally for 'transformations'
    Bertie

In my opinion, both Lightroom and Aperture are terrific photo editors and very good photo imaging tools. They do not totally replace Photoshop to be sure. However as more and more functionality comes into the tools like in the case of Aperture plug ins such as Dodge and Burn, Noise ninja, Silver Efex etc it is getting close. Vivenza does not have the full Photoshop functionality in Aperture as it does in Photoshop but close to be sure.

Lightroom is pursuing a slightly different strategy but still very solid. The difference for me personally is that Aperture works with Hasselblad 3FR files and Lightroom does not. However even this is minor as you can import the 3fr files into Phocus, transform them to DNG and then Lightroom has no problem working with them.

Think about where we were about 18 months ago and you can see the incredible progress that has been made. Maybe we are truly on our way to only one raw converter and, as Jono has already stated, we go to Photoshop for one in one hundred images that need the power.

Woody

asabet

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    It is startling that we'd even be talking about 'delicate tones' at ISO 2500 let alone seeing pics, even web-sized, of that quality. I suddenly feel old ;<
    I was suprised to see, while processing from RAW with no color/saturation adjustments, that the colors of the flower were the same at ISO 2500 f8 as they were at ISO 200 f2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The D3/D700 fidelity at ISO's up to about 2500 is nothing short of astounding. You start to get a bit of grain at 2000, and 3200 is the limit of superb quality, but 6400 and 12500 are both quite useable depending on the intended output. It really is a game changer, especially when used with the auto-iso function.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dunked!

Summer Fun with the D700 @ !SO 200 1/2500th, CV 58/[email protected] f/4.5
    Last edited by fotografz; 20th October 2008 at 01:20.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With regard to the Aperture vs Lightroom debate a few more points... with respect to DMR files, LR handles them and Aperture doesn't (unless converted via the DMR>M8 utility or otherwise converted first). I've gone with Aperture because, like Woody, I think it's going to become the more compelling application as time goes by, especially for Mac users. If I'm right about this, and there's surely no assurance I am, it seems to me important to start as early as possible with it. I say this based on my recent experience in captioning and key wording thousands of older images based on a new file structure I've adopted for my photos. Unless I'm mistaken the metadata may be recognized (at least for 35mm shooters) but the key wording will not be, so if this is an element in your workflow, and it probably should be, you could be facing a fair amount of duplicate work down the road.