The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

jonoslack

Jono - good point on Nik for Aperture. The latter has become a NICE piece of software. No need to export as you say - just need to get off my ass and get more in-tune with how Aperture USM behaves. It does have much easier/foolproof printing as you say.
The horrible problem with Apple in general, is that their whole attitude is 'trust me' . . . . . .
But Aperture does seem quite trustworthy, not as the 'best of breed' in every situation perhaps, but as a convincing 'jack of all trades' with respect to photography

T

tetsrfun

I went to my local Nikon dealer today but they had just sold their last D700. I wanted to try the D700 + 14-24/2.8. When I tried this lens with my D300; the system seemed "unbalanced" and with the crop, it didn't seem cost effective. Has anyone used this lens with the D700?

Steve

Terry

OK, I know I went on record saying why buy a camera known for great AF only to use MF lenses. Well after trying out the Voigtlander 58 this weekend and having a weak moment this morning at Photo Village (after not letting our fearless leader Guy buy yet another camera bag!!), I decided what the hey and bought the Voigtlander 40mm f2 pancake lens. It makes a very small little package to walk around with and I actually enjoy the manual focus on this camera....you feel more engaged in the picture making process. So, on my way home from work I snapped a few shots to give you an idea of what this lens can do. I've been shooting everything wide open to get a feel for the camera and DOF at different focus distances. If anyone wants me to do a torture test (Guy style) on this lens just let me know. Again these are the jpegs straight from the camera with some enhancement with the clarity slider in Lightroom.

First three are me just checking out the bokeh
View attachment 6521

View attachment 6522

View attachment 6523

This one has some vignetting going on will have to do some more work as the sun was setting just behind the Time Warner towers
View attachment 6526

Seems like the only one giving me their attention was the dog :D
View attachment 6525

Last edited:

helenhill

Truly Superb Terry....first three / bokeh
Wow, just love it!
Are all the shots on the way home w/ with the 40 Voigt ?
:clap:
Best-helen

Terry

Thanks Helen. I'm having fun! Since I say that about all of my cameras I must like photography or buy fun cameras!

Joan

Wow guys, this looks like THE camera to have, that's for sure. Wonderful stuff!

Terry, you WORKED the Voigtlander lenses, love the "look" with both of them.

Can't wait to see more, keep the pictures comin'!

Terry

Thanks Joan. This is a great camera! A ton of stuff that I haven't even scratched the surface of in terms of learning.

deepdiver

According to Nikon Indonesia, the earliest time that we can get Nikon D700 is August 1st...
I can't wait to get mine :)
I love the size of it

Andree

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I played with Terry's CV 40mm pancake for a few minutes this morning and it is a little sweetie. The D700 from what i saw and played with this morning is a winner. It is a D3 with a lot smaller package. I'm still waiting fo Photokinia but if nothing earth shattering coming this would be a good back up for me. That darn GX 200 was really nice to play with also this morning. Can't believe I did not buy something this morning. Must have been a weak moment.

Terry

Terry - very nice. RE: the 40/2 (ignoring the D700 for moment), great color and clarity.
I don't have a lot of experience at dissecting the signature of lenses but to me this 40 looks a lot more like what I get out of the M8 than some of my other Nikon lenses. Perhaps some of it is the difference between the D3 and D300. What ever it comes down to, I like it. The 40 is so tiny!!!!

clay stewart

I don't have a lot of experience at dissecting the signature of lenses but to me this 40 looks a lot more like what I get out of the M8 than some of my other Nikon lenses. Perhaps some of it is the difference between the D3 and D300. What ever it comes down to, I like it. The 40 is so tiny!!!!
Terry have you tried live view with that lens? I'm just wondering, because I couldn't figure out how to get live view to work when I set the aperture on the lens on the D300 and was wondering if the D700 may have changed that. Thanks Clay

David K

Workshop Member
Nice shots Terry, enjoy the new camera. If anyone has a photo of the D700 next to the M8 I'd love to see how they compare size wise.

Terry

I haven't tried live view with it but I'm also not setting the aperture on the lens. You essentially turn the lens to f16 or 22 (whichever it goes to) and the the command wheel on the camera takes over. If you don't do that you get a flashing EE and you can't take the shot (at least in aperture priority).

Terry

Nice shots Terry, enjoy the new camera. If anyone has a photo of the D700 next to the M8 I'd love to see how they compare size wise.
LOL David. I sat them next to each other last night and was going to post a shot. With a small pancake the difference is totally not bad. Mount the 24-70 or any of the pro zooms and it looks huge. If someone hasn't posted before then, I will tonight when I get home.

S

sebasco

Hi Jono,

Thanks for the kind words. The Berkshires are indeed in Western, Massachusetts. I love the morning light in our house there.

As for the photos, to me at least, they look a tad hot on the post above but not so elsewhere. Maybe I am doing something wrong when I resize them for the web?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

David K

Workshop Member
Terry, would love to see them side by side. Here's a pic I grabbed from the web showing the D3 and it's little brother. BTW, I noticed for the first time that the D700 specs include weather sealing... very important for me down here in Florida.