The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Terry

One question (having never used a pancake-esque lens) is how easy to you find such a thin lens to focus?
No issue at all, it felt natural and not awkward and I wasn't fiddling around to "find" the focus ring. I also don't have the experience that all of you guys using "alternative" lenses have. But, Guy also handled the lens. I'll send him a note and let him chime in.

Now I have to get to work so I can have a lunch break to find some brick walls.....

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually the lens focused quite well. It was very smooth and popped right in focus very easily. Credit the D700 for popping in easily it is a lot better to manual focus than the D300. But i was pretty darn impressed by the 40mm. Judging by what Terry has showed from reality images it looks darn good. Now maybe in some brick wall tests against a Zeiss 50mm macro it may not hold up as well. But we shoot images not brick walls too. For the 379 dollar entry fee it is small , light and has nice image quality. Certainly something to look at.

robmac

Thanks guys. The 50/2 has it's appeal, BUT : it has a 300 deg focus rotation (not so great for quick shots) and costs > 2x the 40/2. I can see more $$$ sliding away....

robmac

Just looked again at CQ page - what's the low-down on this 'close-up' lens that (at least he) ships with the 40/2? Gimmick or does it actually add anything to the equation?

jonoslack

Thanks guys. The 50/2 has it's appeal, BUT : it has a 300 deg focus rotation (not so great for quick shots) and costs > 2x the 40/2. I can see more $$$ sliding away....
I keep nearly buying the 50/2 . . . and you're right, (although most of the focus rotation is very close up). but it isn't just twice the price:

zf 50 f2 macro: 530 gm £612
CV nokton 58 f1.4: 320 gm £205
CV 40 pancake: 200gm £205

That zeiss is a BIG lens (and near as damn it 3 times the price over here).

Terry

Yes, mine came with the close up lens. I've only used it on two shots of the lens cap with and without and the same for my computer keyboard. I think it is similar to other close up lenses I've used where you simply have a "set" focus distance away from the subject. That's how I tested it. I'm not sure I will find it ultra useful as i would prefer stronger magnification. However if I was reeeeeealllllly into traveling light on a walk and came upon a pretty flower....it is teeeeny weeeeny to throw in your pocket

robmac

Sweet #$%^ Jono. Buy the 50/2 in US - $1033 new or roughly for a clean $850 used one. Just find someone who travels to say NYC on occasion - just in case you get duff sample (though have yet to hear of a duff 50/2M)

For $400 vs $1000 (or $1200 in your case) .... Toss an extension tube (and close-up lens?) on the 40/2 and you've got a nice (small) 40/2 pseudo-macro - that's also chipped.

The ZF line performs well optically and remain tempting, but I find the prices at little rich for the macros given other offerings that come very close in performance. If they were APO I could live it with easier.

Thanks T

harmsr

Workshop Member
Only a very small portion of that range is for normal shooting use of about 1m to infinity. All the rest of that focusing range is for macro.

The lens is really a stunner in all respects, wide open, macro, and even at distance.

Best,

Ray

A

asabet

Ray, do you use the hood with the ZF 50 macro ? The front element is so deeply recessed that I'm wondering whether I need to attach the hood at all.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Amin,

I never tried it without the hood, as I just always used it.

Sorry for not being able to answer.

Best,

Ray

A

asabet

Thanks Helen! Battery's charging now :).

Ray, no problem. I was just wondering because I've never had a lens with a front element this protected before.

robmac

The deep recess, as you suspect, acts like a built-in hood, so the bayonet-mount hood isn't required, as Guy mentions, unless the sun is at a very small angle to the front of the lens. Not the most elegant description, but the coffee hasn't sunk in yet.

Let us know what you think of the 50.

A

asabet

Thanks Guy and Rob. The lens seems great so far. I'll post more when I've had a bit more time with it.

Terry

If anyone has a D700 and Lightroom 2 I am curious......

When Lightroom first opens the NEF and it shows on the screen (with the loading message) I like the color. Then when it is finished loading I'm not wild about the initial conversion of the files (they get warmer with more red). Anyone notice the same thing? Hopefully the color will get better when they get the formal D700 support in or it will be time for a custom profile.

jonoslack

If anyone has a D700 and Lightroom 2 I am curious......

When Lightroom first opens the NEF and it shows on the screen (with the loading message) I like the color. Then when it is finished loading I'm not wild about the initial conversion of the files (they get warmer with more red). Anyone notice the same thing? Hopefully the color will get better when they get the formal D700 support in or it will be time for a custom profile.
That'll be time to convert to DNG and use Aperture then :ROTFL:

robmac

Was talking to a D3 shooter via email and he mentioned same thing with LR2 Terry - colors warmer than with C1V4, Aperture, etc.

A

asabet

Sadly my D700 fun will be delayed by a week or so. I had a small problem with mine and sent it in for an exchange. In the meanwhile, I'll stay tuned and enjoy the great photos from everyone.