The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

jonoslack

Sadly my D700 fun will be delayed by a week or so. I had a small problem with mine and sent it in for an exchange. In the meanwhile, I'll stay tuned and enjoy the great photos from everyone.
Hard Luck Amin
Incidentally, you may be set on the brightscreen, but I'm finding focusing really easy on mine - even in pretty poor light.

I hope it gets sorted out soon.

A

asabet

Thanks Jono. I agree that the focus confirmation light works very well. I found it to be both more accurate and precise than a typical microprism/split screen for focusing on static objects. However, I enjoy seeing the image snap in and out of focus on a nice coarse grind screen. Unlike most folks, I don't like the rangefinder-esque quality of having everything appear in focus. I'm also not convinced that the focus confirmation lights will work well for moving objects (ie, my kids). The microprism is effective for that application, at least in my hands. Finally, I don't enjoy having to keep an eye on those lights in the bottom left corner. I'd love if they could optionally overlay the dot and two arrows at the location of the selected focus bracket.

Despite the above, for reasons I don't want to go into in detail at this time, I did end up asking Brightscreen to leave the custom screen out of my replacement D700. I've decided to go with the stock Nikon screen/focusing light approach. Also just ordered a 135/2.0 Ai-S to give those lights a workout ;).

The good news is that I have plenty of work work and family work to occupy me until my new D700 arrives :). I trust that Brightscreen will ship my new D700 as soon as they receive the one I shipped out today. Preliminary impressions of both the D700 and Zeiss 50 macro were extremely positive.

All the best,
Amin

Last edited:

jonoslack

Thanks Jono. I agree that the focus confirmation light works very well. I found it to be both more accurate and precise than a typical microprism/split screen for focusing on static objects. However, I enjoy seeing the image snap in and out of focus on a nice coarse grind screen.
HI Amin
I never use the focus confirmation - you can see the screen snap in and out of focus really easily on the basic screen. I'd much rather rely on that.
I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is. My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
I hate split screens / microprisms - may be easier to focus, but I find it impossible to compose with them.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

HI Amin
I never use the focus confirmation - you can see the screen snap in and out of focus really easily on the basic screen. I'd much rather rely on that.
I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is. My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
I hate split screens / microprisms - may be easier to focus, but I find it impossible to compose with them.
Amen to that, i really dont need a split/microprism for the D3 VF, its so clean and big that one easily see whats in focus or not.

jonoslack

Amen to that, i really dont need a split/microprism for the D3 VF, its so clean and big that one easily see whats in focus or not.
HI Paul
Absolutely, and although the D700 isn't quite 100% like the D3, I really didn't notice a step down in quality or brightness focusing is a breeze (and it's really nice that it's not connected with focus points)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to agree from my very limited time with the d700 with both of Terry's CV lenses focusing was a breeze and did not even look at the green light. A lot better than the D300 to manually focus.

A

asabet

HI Amin
I do play a little game where I focus manually, and then half press the shutter to see if the focus confirmation is right - it nearly always is.
I hope that I have the same experience. I've yet to see a modern camera with a steep parabola of focus in the default screen, and I've been told that the default D3 screen is slightly inferior to the Canon Ee-S in this respect. All I know for sure is that I was much more accurate/precise using the focusing lights in the D700 than I have been with the Ee-S screen in the 5D.

My criticism is that the focus confirmation is to optimistic, I'm pretty sure I can focus more accurately without it.
I only had the D700 for a single evening, but my experience was that the slightest nudge of the manual focus caused the focus confirmation to complain. Sounds like you have sharper eyes than I. If I feel as you do once I have the default screen, I will be one happy customer.

Regards,
Amin

jonoslack

On the Way to the Pub:

Last night we went to the pub for the quiz - of course we walked, so that nobody had to drive home.

Sometimes it get's tiring, so a piggy-back is in order:

(and that was before the drinking!).

Both shots with the D700 and the Zeiss 25 f2.8

jonoslack

A little nature is always a good thing.

Mind you, I think I disturbed these two at a tender moment:

Not too many butterflies this year, but here's one:

Both taken with the D700 and the 70-300 cheapo nikkor

robmac

Very nice Jono. Between my Scottish wife and business, I've spent a bit of time in the UK, and am starting to wish I'd traveled more in your neck of the woods vs. London and north of the 'border'. You picked a nice spot to live sir.

Getting more and more respect for the 70-300.

jonoslack

Very nice Jono. Between my Scottish wife and business, I've spent a bit of time in the UK, and am starting to wish I'd traveled more in your neck of the woods vs. London and north of the 'border'. You picked a nice spot to live sir.

Getting more and more respect for the 70-300.
Thank you Rob - my wife is 1/4 Scottish, so I can identify with all your troubles :ROTFL:
If you don't use telephoto all that much, that 70-300 is a bit of a no-brainer really. We're off to the Cambridge Folk Festival this evening, I don't want to travel heavily, so I think I'll take:

25 ZF
40 Ultron
58 Nokton
70-300 (well, you do have to take a few pictures of the artists!).

It IS lovely around here, but it's rather an acquired taste - flat - really flat, there's almost no landscape to speak of, so you have to rely on trees. When we first moved here 20 years ago I had been living in London, and I just didn't see how to take pictures - nowadays I'm doing a bit better, but it's still a bit of a challenge.

Cornwall (where I was brought up, and where we have a house) is quite different - so beautiful . . . but then I sometimes finds it hard to actually say anything . . . . I guess it isn't meant to be easy, is it!

jonoslack

I only had the D700 for a single evening, but my experience was that the slightest nudge of the manual focus caused the focus confirmation to complain. Sounds like you have sharper eyes than I. If I feel as you do once I have the default screen, I will be one happy customer.

Regards,
Amin
Hmm, I hope for your sake that I don't have sharper eyes! Mine used to be perfect, but nowadays I'm quite long sighted - I've taken to contact lenses for photography - which does help. Focusing on the default screen still seems easy though. Let's hope you're the happy customer.

S

sebasco

Here's a pic of the George Eastman House taken today while on a walk. It was about to storm. Behind me it was sunny and ahead of me it was threatening.

A

asabet

Received my replacement D700 today, and so far so good :). I only had 30 minutes or so to go outside after work. Just took some in-camera JPEG snaps of the kids. While waiting for the D700, I picked up a Nikon 135mm f/2.0 Ai-S used for just $350, and I am really impressed with this lens! Here's my f/2.0 test shot:

Jono, you were right. The default screen is pretty nice for focusing!

One with the Zeiss 50/2 macro:

Last edited:

helenhill

Aside from the shots being OUTSTANDING
I can't believe how the Boys have Grown Up.....They Look Great!

best- h :)

A

asabet

Aside from the shots being OUTSTANDING
I can't believe how the Boys have Grown Up.....They Look Great!

best- h :)
Thanks Helen :)!

I'm glad you got the camera sorted out. Is the younger one the terror of the household?
The younger one Philip is definitely a rascal. His first complete sentence was "You're not the boss" directed at me. Everyone says he is exactly as I was at that age (3 years old). My mother loves to tell me "Amin, payback is a bitch" :D.