Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

Hi There
    Well, maybe you remember the F100, but it was the ultimate film camera in a small tough package - I think the D700 is finally it.

I took it out for a couple of hours this morning - the weather was bright but hazy, not really ideal, still, we do what we can.

I thought the packaging was a little too retro:

nikkor 24-70 - all the others taken with the 105mm VR macro (I'm a lazy little bugger!)

it does come with built in games:

The version of PacMan is almost as good as the one on my phone.

It's going to be a good year for bramble jelly

A thistle and a swoop:

Continuous auto-focus works with macros and the wind:

Chris was so surprised he nearly ended up in the hedge:

Satellite dishes don't go on thatched roofs:

Mind you, there are a couple of new additions that I'm doubtful about:

PC Sync cap:

and finally the CF card door lock is a little unconventional

All these are jpgs out of the camera - cropped and slightly adjusted in Aperture.

PLEASE POST YOUR FIRST PICTURES BELOW!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D700 - Finally a Digital F100! (fun pictures with D700)

AWESOME Color/ Clarity & Detail - JONO

Please DO some B&W

Cheers & Congrats !!
    Helen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Helen said
    Congrats Jono !
    Btw. I would guess that if you just edit the camera model from D700 to D3 in Exif with an Exif editor, Aperture will probably be able to read the NEF files just like if they in fact were D3 files.
    Apart from that camera model specification I would think the files were identical, or what ... ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bondo View Post
    What Helen said
    Congrats Jono !
    Btw. I would guess that if you just edit the camera model from D700 to D3 in Exif with an Exif editor, Aperture will probably be able to read the NEF files just like if they in fact were D3 files.
    Apart from that camera model specification I would think the files were identical, or what ... ?
    Yes. Or you can edit the plist file, like people were doing on for the GRDs (I don't have a link, but you could search the dpreview forum), copy the d3 entry and change it to d700. However, it may be that this can confuse aperture once the camera gets supported - although i think it shouldn't.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congrats! These look great. My battery is charging as we speak but won't be able to post until tomorrow evening. Stuck the voigtlander on the camera. The lens is sweet. Feels solo good. More later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Those look great Jono. How are you liking the handling, responsiveness and viewfinder compared to the D3? I still have not gotten a chance to see one in person, so I am curious.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

great capture Jono!
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh my god!!!! Can I say I LOVE this camera. Sorry I can't post for the moment but tomorrow when I'm back in NY I will have plenty for show and tell. Shot 90% of the time with the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4. I blame that purchase on Jono. Thank you!!!!! The arrows along with the dot (from the D3) make life easy, I wasn't so fast but in the conditions I was shooting, I have waaaaay more keepers than I would have with the M8. Finally I need to get one of those little hand exercise balls because the 24-70 is a wee bit heavy and the grip is slightly bigger than my hand.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There - thanks everyone for the nice comments:

Steen
    I think someone has posted a batch utility for changing the name in the file - if there's no support for a while I might try that, but actually I quite like the challenge of getting jpgs right for a few days!
    Sizifo
    I tried editing the plist - duplicating the D3 entry and changing the name, but it doesn't seem to work anymore - I'm not sure why, but no dice.

Terry
    Glad you're having fun - that little lens is a darling isn't it, and the package is stubby and businesslike and not without charm. I must say I also find the focusing pretty easy.

Stuart
    I haven't noticed any reduced brightness in the viewfinder - manual focusing still seems fine. Like Terry, I find the grip a touch bigger than my small hands, the camera is heavy and feels very solid, but (for me) it's much nicer than the D3 . . . . but that's largely because I didn't like the ostentatious feeling of carrying such a big camera.
    Responsiveness really is the same - shutter noise is not so eggcrackingly delicious, but still better than some stampingonatincan cameras - and I think it's a little quieter as well.

Hi Son
    Thanks - it's amazing to me that it's taken this long for this camera to appear - I guess Canon could really have made it 3 years ago if they hadn't been frightened of cannibalising 1Ds sales. Let's hope that Nikon will reap the benefit of their bravery.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots, Jono. And congrats to Terry, can't wait to see yours, too!
    Regards,
    Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Jono/TEB - Congrats on the new toy. Happen to notice any perceptible difference in OOC sharpness vs D3 (e.g. speculation of thinner AA filter)?

Happy to see the dot and arrows focus indicator vs the (useless) D300 flickering dot system. On my D1/H the arrow+dot system was VERY accurate.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Files look really nice for jpegs . Looking good folks, this maybe more a home run for Nikon than the D3 was.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jono,

Nice shots. These are very encouraging. It is also tempting for me, but I'm going to hold out until I see if Nikon does anything with their primes.

If Nikon comes out soon with a few great new primes, this camera might really take the place of my M8.

The D3 was and is a great camera, but I'm with you for it being just too large for what I want to do with it. The same thing goes for the the 24-70. (Great lens but just tooooooooo huge.) I normally shot the D3 with ZF primes, the 105 Macro, or the 70-200.

The issue is if I go back to Nikon in a nice size body like the D700, I want new modern primes that are auto focus and VRII for the longer focal lengths.

When I compared the D3 to my M8, the M8 won at lower ISO if I was using the 24-70. If I was using ZF primes, then they were virtually identical at the low ISO and the D3 would win with high ISO.

Nikon - Please give me an updated 35/1.4, 50/1.4, and 180/2.8 VR. I'll buy all three tomorrow and the D700. I still have the 105 Macro and the 1.7X convertor, in hopes of this happening.

Best,

Ray

Post Thanks / Like

I'm right behind you Ray - primes get announced, my 1Ds2 will likely hit the block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Jono,
    congrats with new toy, seems you've put it to good use already
    Generally images I've seen are very similar to the D3, but I guess subtle differences might emerge after more use. I'll be watching this space...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    I'm right behind you Ray - primes get announced, my 1Ds2 will likely hit the block.
    Me too although I am not too sure about getting rid of the M8. As a travel companion there is still nothing as lightweight and unobtrusive as this baby. I can get five lenses and a body in a small A&A bag. So I expect that when the dust settles i will still have the M8 although if it breaks one more time and Leica N.J. screws up the repairs I may well go over the edge.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There - thanks everyone for the nice comments:

Sizifo
    I tried editing the plist - duplicating the D3 entry and changing the name, but it doesn't seem to work anymore - I'm not sure why, but no dice.
    That's strange. The only thing I can think of is to be careful of where the plist file is. I know at some point, I think with Leopard, it moved from System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Raw.plist
    to

/System/Library/CoreServices/RawCamera.bundle/Contents/Resources/Raw.plist

Maybe the old file still exists for some reason.

Googling brings up this discussion most of the time, which doesn't help...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    That's strange. The only thing I can think of is to be careful of where the plist file is. I know at some point, I think with Leopard, it moved from System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Raw.plist
    to

Hi There
    Well, I can go back, find it, edit it, and the D700 bit is still in there . . . but it still doesn't work!

Mind you - I've been using the little exe file which changes the nef, that DOES work, so I'm cool for a while. . . . see next post

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi There
    here are a couple of landscapes which have been processed in Aperture from RAW with the D700, using a little exe file to change the camera name in the RAW file. As far as I can see they're pretty much identical to the D3 files (lovely in fact).
    I first tried to process these from the jpgs - of course, the minute I tried to do anything they fell to pieces.

Anyway, So, here are my first D700 RAW files processed in Aperture!

All were taken with the wonderful bulbous 14-24 - no perspective correction applied (it really is a remarkable lens).

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Joan
    Thank you - I can't wait to see Terry's either (where IS she hiding!)

Rob
    I'm not sure about sharpness - I've just been importing raw files 'pretending' that they're D3, and they certainly look sharp . . . . I think I'll leave it to those with better pixel-peeping credentials to tell us!

Guy
    I think the D3 WAS a home run . . . or perhaps it's the sensor. I just think that bringing out two bodies with the same sensor is a wonderful idea, and I hope they do it with the high res body as well. . . . tempted?

Ray
    I've done lots of testing with the new zooms, and it seems to me that they are just as good as the old primes - of course, we'd all like to see some smaller lenses to go with it, but I won't be letting go of the 14-24 and the 24-70 easily!
    If I'm going to use primes, then the M8 still delivers the best results (IMHO). Still, I'd like to see a couple of new primes, especially if they reflect Nikon's apparent new appreciation of the art of bokeh!

Arne
    There may be subtle differences, but if so, they're too subtle for me! To be fair, the weight advantage is not that great - it's the size which matters to me, and getting rid of the damned vertical grip (which I always had switched off!).

Woody
    I hear you - my M8's aren't going anywhere just yet awhile!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lets have some B&W shots too PLEASE

Some Refined , Some Gritty........

cheers! helen

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    I'm hiding out in the parking lot of the Barnes Collection or Foundation (I think you can find the info either way) in a wicked thunderstorm and can't get out of the car to to in. Google it, a wonderful art collection. Then headed back to NY and my wired apartment for some processing fun and picture posting.
    I don't have a windows machine to even run the exe file so it looks like I'll be posting the jpegs.

Terry

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Joan
    Ray
    I've done lots of testing with the new zooms, and it seems to me that they are just as good as the old primes - of course, we'd all like to see some smaller lenses to go with it, but I won't be letting go of the 14-24 and the 24-70 easily!
    If I'm going to use primes, then the M8 still delivers the best results (IMHO). Still, I'd like to see a couple of new primes, especially if they reflect Nikon's apparent new appreciation of the art of bokeh!
    Jono,

I agree that the new zooms are very similiar to the old primes. What I'm hoping for are new AF & VR primes that are as good as the ZF primes. In other words, that they repeat the home of the 105VR Macro. I really want a smaller camera system than the big zooms provide and a little more IQ, with the Nano coating (popping colors and great flare resistance), plus as you mention the smooth OOF areas.

I love the new shots you just added with the 14-24.

Best,

Ray

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    Lets have some B&W shots too PLEASE

Some Refined , Some Gritty........

cheers! helen
    OOPS - sorry Helen
    I'll try something this evening. Barbeque coming up!

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Looks GREAT Jono, thanx for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi There
    Well, I can go back, find it, edit it, and the D700 bit is still in there . . . but it still doesn't work!

Mind you - I've been using the little exe file which changes the nef, that DOES work, so I'm cool for a while. . . . see next post
    This is probably anyhow a better solution long term than changing files which an upgrade will overwrite.

What I was trying to say is that there may be two copies of the plist file, and the one you're editing is different to the one aperture is reading. Both directories I mentioned still exist, just the first one no longer has the raw.plist file. But if you messed with it beforehand, maybe the update didn't erase it and you have both. Anyway, it's unlikely.

The photos look fantastic by the way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ok, the d3 goes on the block
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For Helen . . . .
    Well - the first four were taken in the dark . . . with a table with 2 candles, at 6400 ISO:

Sim

Charlie (Sim's mate)

Saul

by the light of my iphone:

Silas

this was taken in the kitchen - at 3600 iso

Sim

all manually focused using the standard screen with the voigtlander 58mm f1.4

N.B. these are grab shots taken between cooking the steaks and serving the wine

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono are those first two strong crops, or did you boost exposure a lot over the 6400? Because those look a lot noisier than the ISO 6400 that I have been getting on the D3. The last one looks more like the high iso of the D3...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Home

with the 14-24 at 14mm
    b&w were taken later on in the corner beside the house.

Right - off to bed!
    what a fun weekend

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Jono are those first two strong crops, or did you boost exposure a lot over the 6400? Because those look a lot noisier than the ISO 6400 that I have been getting on the D3. The last one looks more like the high iso of the D3...
    Hi Stuart - they were seriously underexposed - it really was DARK and I was trying to keep the shutter speed to 1/50th or so - and they're cropped as well - to be honest I'd have been better shooting at higher ISO still - . . . but Helen wanted to look at some gritty shots, so, I thought I'd oblige

Definitely not representative of what's possible at that ISO - as you say, the last one is more the ticket (it's really important not to underexpose . . . .unless you're going to end up with a shutter speed of 2 seconds!!!).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

With or Without Noise /Beautiful Detail & Delicacy
    in between Cooking Steaks & Serving Wine
    2,3,& 4 are DIVINE / But Really LOVE # 2

Thank YOU Jono..... xoxo
    Best- H

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono,
    I thought hobbit houses had round doors.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Jono,
    I thought hobbit houses had round doors.
    -bob
    Hi Bob
    It does (you can't see the doors)
    or are you talking about the windows? . . . . Get it straight man

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oh, right
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
    With or Without Noise /Beautiful Detail & Delicacy
    in between Cooking Steaks & Serving Wine
    2,3,& 4 are DIVINE / But Really LOVE # 2

Thank YOU Jono..... xoxo
    Best- H
    Thanks Helen . . . it was a pleasure

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, that's what I figured. I was just making sure. They are still good shots! I just wanted to have it clear. Thank you for posting all these images and impressions!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Ok, that's what I figured. I was just making sure. They are still good shots! I just wanted to have it clear. Thank you for posting all these images and impressions!
    Hi Stuart
    My impression is that it's IQ is identical to the D3. The files are just as lovely and will take the same amount of PP bashing. The joy for me is the size. Suddenly it seems worthwhile to stick on those sexy little Cosina lenses (read voigtlander and zeiss).
    There are some sacrifices. That batttery only lasted two days instead of two weeks, the shutter doesn't sound so nice (although I'm coming round to it) and it isn't such good protection against advancing hippotomas, (mind you, I'd bet on the camera against an irate father in law any day).

BUT. It's the nearest thing I've ever had to a 'lovable' Nikon. . And yes, I did have an F100!

(typed in bed on a sleepy iPhone)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Oh, right
    -bob
    Hi Bob
    And before you ask, Yes, we do have hairy feet

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is great to hear Jono, and basically what I was waiting for. The D3 IS fantastic, but it is overkill for people who do not need full-time 9fps, dual CF cards, permanent secondary grip, 300,000 shutter cycles and so on. If you just want a rugged full-frame Nikon with superb ISO performance, and the AF speed and accuracy of the D3 (as well as almost all the other features) in a smaller package, then the D700 seems to be the ticket. To their credit, Nikon seems to understand that it is better to give people a smaller, but still professional camera body. I know several female pros, and all of them eschew the huge 1D and D2/3 series cameras in favor of smaller bodies. I talked to Karen Kasmauski, a National Geographic shooter about it, and she said she just could not lug them along. At the time (last year) she used D200's. Bobbi Lane, a commercial shooter and very prolific educator (for ICP, Maine Workshops, Santa Fe, Calumet and so on) uses Fuji S2 pros -- she loved the size and color compared to other options. Both of these women used F100's in the past. I think the D700 is a step in the right direction -- instead of shoe-horning all pros into hypertrophied uber-bodies, there will be a truly professional body that bears more resemblance to the classic SLR's of the 60s-mid 80s.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Stuart
    My impression is that it's IQ is identical to the D3. The files are just as lovely and will take the same amount of PP bashing. The joy for me is the size. Suddenly it seems worthwhile to stick on those sexy little Cosina lenses (read voigtlander and zeiss).
    There are some sacrifices. That batttery only lasted two days instead of two weeks, the shutter doesn't sound so nice (although I'm coming round to it) and it isn't such good protection against advancing hippotomas, (mind you, I'd bet on the camera against an irate father in law any day).

BUT. It's the nearest thing I've ever had to a 'lovable' Nikon. . And yes, I did have an F100!

(typed in bed on a sleepy iPhone)
    Hey Jono

I really understand and I still have my seldom used F100. I bought it following the F5 to have the light weight of the smaller system and at that point the D1X reared its head (certainly not because of weight!!LOL) and I have been going the digital route ever since.

I will undoubtedly get the D700 at some point but I want to see the D3X before making any more commitments to Nikon. I just did a huge studio/product shoot for my daughter, shooting her hand dyed yarns with the D300 and frankly, with the105 VRII macro it performed like a champ. Sometimes it is nice to be surprised by the not so expensive and exotic glasses when you see what they can do!!

Love it folks. I have what a friend calls a ghetto setup with regard to the product cage and it turned out some really nice shots. I'll post some results quickly as most folks who looked at the original results were impressed. Certainly not the quality of Fotografz work but then he is the master. I now have a total of $75 invested in my rig so I am pretty happy lOL

Best

Woody

sebasco

Hi Folks,

Shot as NEF, converted to JPEG in NX2 by removing all settings and then doing some post processing with DXO 5.2. Can't wait til the raw converters work, without hacks, etc., on D700 images! Getting the correct white balance on a day where it is sunny on 1 side as you look up and stormy on the other is difficult when you don't have a raw converter, other than NX2 (not my favorite) to adjust appropriately

Here's a couple of shots taken at our home in the Berkshires this morning. Enjoy

Indoors, Outdoors, Indoors, Outdoors

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, I'm back and here are a few shots from the weekend. My recently engaged brother threw a b-day party for his fiance and followed up with a brunch this morning....great get together to have all the friends meet before the wedding (hence the name tags)....

All jpegs as shot with default D700 settings along with AWB auto ISO maybe a crop or two....all with Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 lens

ISO 2000 f1.4
    Attachment 6497

ISO 6400 f3.5 (the happy couple)
    Attachment 6488

ISO 1400 f1.4
    Attachment 6489

ISO 320 f1.4 (my mother)
    Attachment 6490

ISO 640 f1.4
    Attachment 6491
    Last edited by Terry; 27th July 2008 at 19:15.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Next batch....

ISO 500 f1.4
    Attachment 6492

ISO 640 f1.4
    Attachment 6493

ISO 5000 f2.8 @70mm using 24-70
    Attachment 6494

ISO 200 f1.4
    Attachment 6495

ISO 200 f5.0 at 24mm using 24-70 and on board flast
    Attachment 6496

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, sorry folks. Looks like one of my monitors is out of whack....The one I posted from looks fine and this monitor on my MacBook Pro is showing problems in the jpegs and compression. Please do me a favor and tell me which ones look messed up to you. In the meantime, off to use the new eyeOne on the iMac.

All that being said, the D700 is really a joy to use. Everyone at the party kept saying "don't you need a flash?" It was so nice to be able to walk around for the evening without one.

All that being said, I want my regular workflow back....hopefully Adobe/Apple are quick with RAW support.
    Last edited by Terry; 27th July 2008 at 19:29.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sizifo View Post
    to

Hi Sizifo
    Not liking to be beaten . . . it doesn't exist in my system/library/frameworks etc. directory (but this machine had Leopard from the start).

Mind you, I'm not sure how to search for it if it's hidden in a bundle, so I suppose it could exist somewhere else and need to be updated.

I agree with you, it's frustrating to do a google and simply get one's own discussion! You'd think it would be higher priority on some poeple's list.

Thanks anyway - at least I do have it working, even if it is a bit clunky.

I don't suppose it'll belong until ACR supports conversion to DNG, but then, that won't pick up the D3 settings (which I'm assuming are correct).

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FAB shots Terry
    Love it...the roses were Lush...the oof was Divine...
    You & the D700 ..... a match made in Heaven
    Congrats ! H

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry these look really nice.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent folks. On behalf of all we fences-sitters, thanks and keep the impressions coming. Had been seeing comments about D3 users finding D700 shots requiring less USM, so speculation abounds about somewhat thinner AA filter - which I always consider a plus.

I'm pretty camera agnostic, but when it comes to Nikon this year, I'm impressed - and that takes some doing.

The D3, D700, new lenses, D3X all but a given, further lenses rumored, now chatter about some form of modular-sensor camera AND renewed rumors of a re-entry into digital RFs. Talk about momentum. Even giving the deserved credence to the various rumors/leaks, it certainly looks like Nikon has listened to it's customer base and is headed in the right direction with a vengeance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Terry
    Great shots - they look a little warm on my monitor . . . but I think that the Nikon AWB is rather kind and gives everyone a bit of a suntan!

Looks like you had a fun time. Glad you're enjoying it, I can't wait to get mine out again, today's looking tough though

Just this guy you know