The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

From D3s -> D700

ryc

Once again I have moved from a D3S to a D700 :) The D3S is king but at the cost of being big. So I moved on to a prince :) the D700 which is a much more manageable size and closer to an F6. None the less, this is the 2nd time I do this :)

Paratom

Once again I have moved from a D3S to a D700 :) The D3S is king but at the cost of being big. So I moved on to a prince :) the D700 which is a much more manageable size and closer to an F6. None the less, this is the 2nd time I do this :)
I went from d3 to d3x to d700.
Works fine for me.

darr

Thanks for posting this as I have a D700 that I love and thought about upgrading for a while to a D3x. I rented a D3x and enjoyed using it, but I did not want to give up my D700 to help pay for it. I feel pretty content now.

Lars

I got an aftermarket grip for my D700, $60 but all plastic and no weatherseal, otherwise a good value - came with holders fo EN-EL3, EN-EL4, and AA cells. I had a leftover batterypack and charger from my D2x, so I have the option of 8 fps which for me is useful from time to time. I think shutter lag seems shorter with the EN-EL4 but that might be an illusion from the more distinct sound the shutter makes with that battery.

Paratom

I am notsaying that the D3s or d3x might be better for some things.
It really depends what you do, which resolution you need,which high ISO, also which lenses you use (for real big lenses I would probably want a d3 for smaller lenses a d700 works very good)

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
On my most recent purchase I was all set to get the D3S until I handled the D700. The D3S has a similar body style to my old D2Xs and I wanted some relief from the brick-ish body.

I am so glad I did. I absolutely love the camera. Yes, an emotional response for an inanimate object. But I find myself itching to pick it up and shoot instead of dreading the massive carry of the larger "pro style" body on the D3S. Whatever small compromise was made in terms of sensor or finder is more than made up for by the natural feel and easy controls. I'm smitten and it will take a mighty D4* series to pry it loose from me.

Best,
Tim

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Obviously what we all want is the best possible high end technology (viewfinder + sensor) in a body as compact as possible, made modular with a detachable grip.
Just like Sony knew how to do it with their flagship model A900.
Sony got the message, Nikon is still a bit dense.
Wonder how long we will have to wait for really flexible Nikon modularity, instead of the usual annoying segmentation with a big, bulky version looong before the more manageable body size which is usually even downgraded in some fundamental respects (viewfinder + sensor) and which is even more or less old technology when it finally arrives ?

ryc

Glad I am not alone. :) Now I am looking at picking up a sony 850 for my landscape work :)