Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zeiss ZF 18mm

tetsrfun

Re: Zeiss ZF 18mm

Quote Originally Posted by mwalker View Post
    Gezzz ...I 'm just about to pull the trigger on a Nikon 14 -24.....is it that massive? Do any of you regrete the purchase the 14-24?
    It is huge..and the very large front element is marginally protected...I am still thinking about it.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tetsrfun View Post
    It is huge..and the very large front element is marginally protected...I am still thinking about it.

Steve
    No filter protection will work correct...
    Mike

website under construction

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Yes its huge, and no filter will protect it.

If its worth it or not, is a question only you can answer.

I own it and wouldnt want to be without it, its such a fun lens.

However if you want to travel light, or want to be able to use filters, or do alot of shooting with the sun in the frame its not the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting the worst prior to testing it, but I didn't find it that bad at all. It's short and fat, but perfectly portable.

I know the chap at Lee filters is working on a solution for it - there is one now that works well at the wider end of the range, but still needs some fine tuning (see the FM thread in the alternate forum on 14-24 pics on EOS).

Gezzz ...I 'm just about to pull the trigger on a Nikon 14 -24.....is it that massive? Do any of you regrete the purchase the 14-24?

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This lens looks pretty darn nice, thanks for filling us in. I am still waiting for Photokinia though and if nothing else in the market that I can use i may just get the D700 this lens and a few others. Primarily backup to the MF system and also some gigs for it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's a photo of the two side by side. Remember, the Zeiss hood reverses for storage in your bag, the Nikon hood is fixed. In the bag, the Zeiss is much smaller than the Nikon ... especially if it's mounted on a D700 or D300 in the bag.

I don't regret the 14-24 at all ... I use it at weddings on a D3 ... it's well balanced on that camera, and it provides a range of focal lengths to work with plus a bit more max. aperture (not much really). I would not want to travel with the 14-24 nor would I want to carry it all day even at a wedding ... it stays in the wedding roller bag until I need it.
    Last edited by fotografz; 6th November 2008 at 15:30.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks, very useful side by side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice thing about the hood Zeiss is it comes off and anything that wide the hood is worthless anyway. So for me i would be going naked without it and use my hands. Man that just does not sound right does it. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Thanks, very useful side by side.
    Hey your on vacation at the beach your not supposed to be peeping in but relaxing and getting a break.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow its half the size
    Mike

website under construction

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

wow its half the size
    Now I'm confused. Was that a comment to Guy going naked

Paul.R.Lindqvist

LOL

Post Thanks / Like

It does cover only one FL vs 14-24, is 1/2 stop 'slower' and has no AF hardware within, so......

On another note, given the performance of the zoom's design as a starting point, I'm curious to see what Nikon does in WA primes come Photokina..

wow its half the size

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't wait to get this lens, it looks fantastic!!!
    the bad News is until today no camera shop sell this lens in Indonesia
    maybe by mid/end of september 2008, I will be able to buy it here.
    please post more pictures from this lens

Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    I really can't wait to get this lens, it looks fantastic!!!

... please post more pictures from this lens

Andree
    Okay-dokey Andree ... a couple more from my outing to "Sweetest Heart Of Mary" Catholic church currently undergoing a major renovation ... and a severe crop shot of my little doggie "Schnuffy" as we left to go home ... the only thing on her mind was getting some of that Chicken I had in my pocket and if I got closer she'd lick my lens

Two things I've noticed, these files require less sharpening than those from comparable Nikon focal lengths, and this 18mm vignettes less than I expected.
    Last edited by fotografz; 6th November 2008 at 15:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can someone shoot a interior so I can see what the distortion looks like. I got a call yesterday that can lead to a ton of interior shooting , meeting with theses folks thursday. Now i have the Alpa TC with 47mm now but I am thinking get a 24mm Alpa Schnieder cost 4500.00 OR maybe cheat here and get a D700 and 18mm. Obviously I lean to the Alpa 24mm with my dig back but still like to know. Not sure this job is hit and run or get down to real business which i hope is the later. The bottom line is i could still use a D700 in other work. The other issue is for me finding a Alpa 24mm used which is so rare i have a better chance of meeting God on the corner of South and Main Streets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

I am almost embarrassed to post these but it's all I could do in the few minutes I had today.

So if these have no utility for you feel free to say so.

Just trying to help

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody that is perfect my friend and thanks for doing this. I do see some barrel distortion going on. Look at your last one That left wall is distorting. The middle image looks pretty good except for the frame. The top one you may have been a little on the high side looking down but still some barrel in the cabinet up top. Seriously though this was very helpful. Thanks again. The lens does look nice though . The middle one the very left side and the middle post and right side are dead on the money.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    Interesting stuff (and I'm interested too).

There does seem to be a bit of barrel distortion. I was interested to compare my 25mm with the nikkor 14-24 at 24, and to my confusion the Nikkor seemed to show less distortion.

Marc or Woody (nice shots both). . do you have a feel for the corner sharpness? I know that the 25 is not the best of the Zeiss lenses, but I've found it to be quite soft right out at the corners - even when it's stopped right down to f8.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Thx Fotografz and Woody!!
    Those are beautiful shoots

@Jono : yes, i agree with you, ZF 25/2.8 is soft at the corners. Mine is the same
    Andree
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI There
    Interesting stuff (and I'm interested too).

There does seem to be a bit of barrel distortion. I was interested to compare my 25mm with the nikkor 14-24 at 24, and to my confusion the Nikkor seemed to show less distortion.

Marc or Woody (nice shots both). . do you have a feel for the corner sharpness? I know that the 25 is not the best of the Zeiss lenses, but I've found it to be quite soft right out at the corners - even when it's stopped right down to f8.
    Hi Jono!

Early tests (indoors) at 18mm shows a clear advantage to Zeiss at the corners from F/3,5 to F/11.

I can't really see a diffrence in the center, but will have test some more though.

Will be interesting to see how it compares outdoors @infinity, im quite confident the zoom will appear sharper @ minimum focusing distance (in the center) @ F/3,5. Since the 14-24/2,8 is impressive wide open upclose.

And yes, the ZF 25/2,8 is loosing against the 14-24/2,8 in the corners, but is sharper in the center especially at the wider apertures.

Kindest
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 20th August 2008 at 23:02.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.R.Lindqvist View Post
    Hi Jono!

Early tests (indoors) at 18mm shows a clear advantage to Zeiss at the corners from F/3,5 to F/11.
    Hi Paul - do you mean over the 12-24?! If so it doesn't look like it from the shots posted. Mind you, maybe I've got a really good 12-24 (I think that sample variation makes all these conversations problematical.

I can't really see a diffrence in the center, but will have test some more though.

Will be interesting to see how it compares outdoors @infinity, im quite confident the zoom will appear sharper @ minimum focusing distance (in the center) @ F/3,5. Since the 14-24/2,8 is impressive wide open upclose.

And yes, the ZF 25/2,8 is loosing against the 14-24/2,8 in the corners, but is sharper in the center especially at the wider apertures.

Kindest
    The truth seems to me though that they are ALL great in the centre (although I accept the ZF may be a little sharper), but it's the corners that are the weak point, so that I'd generally be willing to sacrifice a little at the centre for the sake of good corner sharpness (it really matters for the kind of landscape work I do). It's no good leading the eye in from the corners if they're smudgy!

It's what keeps bringing me back to the 12-24, big though it is.

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

No i meant compared to the 14-24/2,8.

I dont own any DX lenses.But i highly doubt the 12-24/DX would fair any better then the 14-24/2,8 @ 18mm on fx.

Should be noted, that its impossible to evaluate anything from the websized images posted here as far as detail and sharpness goes.. I will provide 100% crops comparisons later when im done testing.
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 21st August 2008 at 01:27.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No i meant compared to the 14-24/2,8.

I dont own any DX lenses.But i highly doubt the 12-24/DX would fair any better then the 14-24/2,8 @ 18mm on fx.

Should be noted, that its impossible to evaluate anything from the websized images posted here as far as detail and sharpness goes.. I will provide 100% crops comparisons later when im done testing.
    going mad!
    Of course I meant the 14-24 I haven't had the DX lens for a long time

I'm surprised though. My 14-24 beats the Zeiss ZF 25 for corner definition so thoroughly.

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

going mad!
    Of course I meant the 14-24 I haven't had the DX lens for a long time

I'm surprised though. My 14-24 beats the Zeiss ZF 25 for corner definition so thoroughly.
    LOL, i must admit i got a bit confused...

Yes im a little suprised to see the diffrence in the corners aswell, not that i think my 14-24/2,8 is bad in any way. In fact iv was pretty much blown away about the corner to corner performance (and still is) when i got it.

Still seems like the ZF 18/3,5 raised the bar a little @ 18mm, wich isnt that odd given its a prime.

Now i havent tested at infinity, not that i think the result will be much diffrent, just worth noticing.
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 21st August 2008 at 03:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Guy

I am almost embarrassed to post these but it's all I could do in the few minutes I had today.

So if these have no utility for you feel free to say so.

Just trying to help

Woody
    Guy

I did have the camera on a tripod and the tripod and head were both dead level according to the bubbles on the Gitzo and the RRS BH51. So what you see should be representative of the actual distortion of the lens.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy

I did have the camera on a tripod and the tripod and head were both dead level according to the bubbles on the Gitzo and the RRS BH51. So what you see should be representative of the actual distortion of the lens.

Woody
    HI Woody
    That definitely seems to have more barrel distortion than the 14-24 at 18mm. Much more.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Woody
    That definitely seems to have more barrel distortion than the 14-24 at 18mm. Much more.
    Seems that way Jono but that is one of the downfalls of giving quick and dirty shots for first impressions. I took little care other than assuring the camera was level.

I am going to do some more serious tests and post the results. Not only is there apparent barrel distortion but these were taken with the D300 so not nearly at its limit! I am waiting for my D700 and will do more testing with the FX sensor
    Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Couple more shots from around the house but I tried to be very careful with leveling and angle. I think on the earlier shots i was not square to the walls.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are the photos

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody, Are you making use of the virtual horizon feature to level?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems that way Jono but that is one of the downfalls of giving quick and dirty shots for first impressions. I took little care other than assuring the camera was level.

I am going to do some more serious tests and post the results. Not only is there apparent barrel distortion but these were taken with the D300 so not nearly at its limit! I am waiting for my D700 and will do more testing with the FX sensor
    Woody
    Hi Woody
    I can't really see how it can have been your fault - converging lines or whatever, but if the camera was level (which it certainly looks like) then I don't see how you could have done anything to give the impression of barrel distortion (and, let's face it, it's pretty clear).

Unless, of course, you have bendy walls in your nice house?

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I fail to see how you can evaluate barrel distortion between the 14-24 and the 18 ZF if you dont have the exact same scene ?

From my testing i cant see a diffrence as far as barrel distortion goes.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I fail to see how you can evaluate barrel distortion between the 14-24 and the 18 ZF if you dont have the exact same scene ?

From my testing i cant see a difference as far as barrel distortion goes.
    Well, I agree, I can only guess, but with internal shots at 18mm I'm not seeing significant barrel distortion - in fact, very little distortion at all - especially with objects as far from the edges as are showing distortion in Woody's shots.

Of course - if you are seeing different they you are right and I am wrong (I'd like to see comparisons though).

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Of course - if you are seeing different they you are right and I am wrong (I'd like to see comparisons though).
    All in due time :-)

I repeat every test at least 3 times, to get a consistent result, iv been sick the past week so iv only repeated 1 test indoors checking corner sharpness between the two at infinity and minimum focusing distance.

And judging from that test there is little to no diffrence if any between the two as far as barrel distortion goes. (should be noted that barrel distortion wasnt the base for the test)

So eventhough it may very well be a diffrence, im quite sure its not as huge as we want it to be. .-)
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 22nd August 2008 at 05:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody the stairs look pretty darn good. Folks don't go by the picture frames because they lean forward from the top because of the wire mount so they are not flat to the wall. Thanks again this helps a lot

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brick walls, folks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Vivek
    I shot these with the D300 which doesn't have the virtual horizon feature.

All in all these brief tests may or may not allow any conclusions to be drawn. I shot these as a favor to Guy who requested i do so.

Make judgements at your own risk.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Brick walls, folks!
    I CAN'T - I haven't got a ZF 18mm - but to kind of back up my 'kind of feeling'. Here is the 14-24 at 18mm of a brick wall.

There are a couple of problems though - the wall is neither vertical, nor flat, nor anything much else (the house having been built in 1690), although I can, categorically say that it doesn't have built in barrel distortion.

The Hollyhock, has been smashed by the rain.

Anyway, judge for yourself - couple of 100 percent crops for good measure.

f8 (FWIW?) D700 - so it IS full frame.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see a 14-24G shot my mouth starts to water (and my wallet starts to mew like an injured kitten).

As someone who's undertaking a home reno by his (and her) little self, I can categorically state 'they' knew how to build them in 1690.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Every time I see a 14-24G shot my mouth starts to water (and my wallet starts to mew like an injured kitten).

. . and your shoulder start's to sag like an old mule's back.

As someone who's undertaking a home reno by his (and her) little self, I can categorically state 'they' knew how to build them in 1690.
    Hmmm. 'they' may have known how to build them, but I don't think it was the same 'they' that built our place! Mind you, it has survived through some tough times, but it was certainly as cheap as they come: Just a couple of labourer's cottages back to back around the central chimney (with big fireplaces). Still, we like it, and it is ours!

How about your renovation?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Bought a Lindal home (cedar & fir beams, A-frame style, LOTS of glass, loft -style master bedroom) on 70 acre spread. House was modified to take old oak doors, wide plank flooring, WIDE moldings, etc., from area 19th century church being demolished, so lots of interesting character.

House is well built, but prior owner's idea of upkeep was shoveling driveway. Her decorating taste was also, shall we say, interesting. Her dry wall contractor and plumber (probably one in the same around here) should have been shot.

Gutted and re-did master bath, 2nd bath is 1/2 apart (winter project)
    Complete gut and re-do of kitchen
    Re-do of most drywall
    New floor in kitchen and re-finish of existing floors
    Re-do of cheap cedar molding in some rooms to match rest of house
    Custom cedar molding on 'wall of glass' (main wall of LR) as existing stuff was crap
    Existing moldings, etc all needed cleaning and with some sanding,prime and paint
    A lot of plumbing and wiring re-runs w/all new appliances
    Some windows replaced
    Pole-barn built
    1 acre of fence re-done and still needs expanding
    Slate tile in entryways
    About to tile kitchen counters
    Rebuilding & expanding stone wall
    Whole house needed cleaning, de-mossing (roof) and waterproofing (cedar shakes and shingles)
    Boatload of landscaping - but got/get to rent 6 ton excavator & bobcat - so almost fun
    Dirt bike trails started (see above - you have to love the power of hydraulics)
    @#$% cords of wood cut and split for hybrid wood/oil furnace
    1/2 fallen trees (Hurricane Juan damage before bought house) cut down and cut up.
    Existing shed needed remodel and moved w/crane
    Refinishing of salvage-yard find 2" oak door to replace existing front door

The list goes on and on and on -- and far more to do. Have more power tools than Home Depot. Been my job since leaving Wall Street. In return wife keeps me in photo gear, cigars, tequila -- and pain killers... ;>

Sadly enough, find it relaxing...
    Last edited by robmac; 22nd August 2008 at 12:31.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds fabulous . . . . pictures anywhere?

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bought a Lindal home (cedar & fir beams, A-frame style, LOTS of glass, loft -style master bedroom) on 70 acre spread. House was modified to take old oak doors, wide plank flooring, WIDE moldings, etc., from area 19th century church being demolished, so lots of interesting character.

House is well built, but prior owner's idea of upkeep was shoveling driveway. Her decorating taste was also, shall we say, interesting. Her dry wall contractor and plumber (probably one in the same around here) should have been shot.

Re-do of most drywall
    Custom cedar molding on 'wall of glass' (main wall of LR) as existing stuff was crap
    Existing moldings, etc all needed cleaning and with some sanding,prime and paint
    Some windows replaced
    Pole-barn built
    Slate tile in entryways
    Whole house needed cleaning, de-mossing (roof) and waterproofing (cedar shakes and shingles)
    Boatload of landscaping - but got/get to rent 6 ton excavator & bobcat - so almost fun
    1/2 fallen trees (Hurricane Juan damage before bought house) cut down and cut up.

The list goes on and on and on -- and far more to do. Have more power tools than Home Depot. Been my job since leaving Wall Street. In return wife keeps me in photo gear, cigars, tequila -- and pain killers... ;>

Damn my back is killing me just reading this.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, Thanks for the shot!

Woody, It was just a suggestion. I also (incorrectly) assumed that you were using your new D700.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Jono, Thanks for the shot!

Woody, It was just a suggestion. I also (incorrectly) assumed that you were using your new D700.
    It's terrible - I didn't realise that Brick Walls are banned . . . now I'm facing a suspension (or even the red card) and it's all your fault

It was a pleasure - I don't do much brick wall shooting these days!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re-do of most drywall
    Some windows replaced
    Pole-barn built
    Slate tile in entryways

Rob

Let me know when it is finished. I would love to have a house of this type but renovations for me (age 71) is out of the question. I would probably have to hire a neighborhood young man to do the snow shoveling! LOL

Seriously sounds like a major and wonderful project. When done I imagine it will be spectacular. Glad you are a shooter so you can post some before and after images for us to drool over. Also very glad you find it relaxing. Otherwise these types of things can drive you crazy.

Good luck

Woody

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pikers, the lot of you.

I'm living in the 3rd house that I gutted and renovated. Did a 5,800 sq. ft. Grosse Pointe Tudor built in 1926 with servants quarters and all that (a labor of love, even though I did not love the labor) ... a 4 story Post Modern home restored to the architect's original plans ... and my current Bauhaus modern style home where I lived in a upstairs bedroom for almost a year while gutting the entire interior and renovating the exterior ... an on-going wallet drainer.

Next home will be a prefab double-wide as far from Tornado Alley as I can get