The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF 18mm

V

Vivek

Marc, Please shoot with this lens against the Sun to check if it is as flare resistant as Zeiss claim.

fotografz

Will do.

It better be flare resistant :cool: I'll be shooting a lot of vintage, Chrome ladened Detroit Iron.

Rather than a D3, I'll be shooting with a D700 this weekend ... but still FX (if I don't take the 203/CFV.)

The idea of the Zeiss/D700 is that whole package is small and more mobile.

T

tetsrfun

Interesting, B&H list the $ prices as the same as the German Euro price. >$300 less expensive in US?

Steve

robmac

On FM there is a 'discussion' (actually not too moronic initially - sadly there is real Zeiss fanboy clique building over there) on the 18 that got VERY interesting when a chap who doesn't post often and who is (unbeknownst to most) a lens designer apparently popped up with some comments.

His view is that the 18 is likely not well corrected for lateral CA - based on the MTF charts.

As you'd expect, a lot of self-proclaimed experts got their knickers in a twist re: using MTF to judge CA, then oddly enough shut up real fast when it was pointed out by someone that the poster in question was a lens designer (for whom, no idea).

His comments (username brianc1959) on judging CA from MTF which I found interesting:

"When you stop down a lens all aberrations are reduced except for distortion and lateral color.

Distortion doesn't affect MTF. Lateral color does affect the MTF very strongly, but only the tangential curve in the outer parts of the field.

So if you look at a series of MTF curves for different apertures of a lens with lateral color you will see the sagittal curve improving much faster in the outer parts of the field than the tangential curve as you stop down.

If both the tangential and sagittal curves improve similarly as the f/# increases then its a sure bet that the lens has little or no lateral color. The MTF curves for the 21mm Distagon at f/2.8 and f/5.6 show this behavior.

There are caveats and complications to this explanation, but the basic idea is correct"

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Woody and Marc love to hear your comments on the 18mm. I am still in debate to go get a D700 but if there is a good 18mm than that may push me a little more. As far as the guy from FM which I know who he is and certainly do not trust his opinion on anything photographic. Sorry but I have dealt with him before and his tests are always by his beliefs and not fact. I trust my members and if Woody and Marc say it is good than that is all I need to hear.

robmac

Interesting to hear that Guy. I don't know the chap.
As you say, looking at it based on charts is one thing - need to hear what real-life delivers. Found the concept of CA vs MTF interesting.
That said, based on the 35/2 and 100/2 I owned, I would suspect some CA will creep into things - whether it matters or not we'll have to see what Woody and Marc say.

Guy - no interest in the 14-24G?

Guy Mancuso

Yes from all reports the 14-24 and what I have seen is actually better than the 24-70 but the thing is a monster. i would like a 18mm and a new prime 35mm for Nikon. Maybe a new 24mm prime also. Nikon just has a few holes in the lens lineup but since the D3 they are getting very aggressive to bring new product. I have a feeling we will hear from Nikon again next month at Photokinia

robmac

Figured the size was the hold-back. Assuming Nikon lays out a lens plan, as many suspect at PK, things will get very interesting.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Hi Guy,

I believe that you've mixed up the individuals on FM. I believe that the poster, brianc1959, is different from your old nemesis brainiac, who was a very obstinate fellow. This new poster, does appear to know what he is talking about at first glance.

Kurt

I

iekiek

Hi,
I am new here. I am pretty sure "Brian1959" is the designer of the Coastal Optics
U.V.Lenses. He posts in "NikonGear" and is a veru knowlagable fellow when it comes to lenses.

Ihor

Guy Mancuso

Thanks folks than my bad . I do have the two mixed up. But let's see some real images. MTF charts are only part of the story behind a lens. I had the Zeiss 18mm for my M8 and it did rock. Hopefully the same on the Nikon mount.

P

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Will be interesting to see how it fairs against the 14-24/2,8. .-)

Ill post some images when i get the time, just got home from a trip to gotland, and found out that the 18mm ZF arrived 1 day after i left... .-)

Last edited: