The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 ISO 6400 - Four RAW Processors Compared

A

asabet

From top to bottom my guess would be:

(1) Aperture
(2) Capture One 4
(3) Lightroom 2
(4) Raw Developer
You nailed it ;).

Looks like we have some small differences in the compromise between optimal Noise Reduction and optimal Sharpness.
In this case I think my favourite compromise is number 3 (or maybe numbert 2) from the top, both being pretty clean but still with good and crisp sharpness.
Anyway, the differences are subtle and being an ISO 6400 actual pixels crop I think you have done an excellent job with all of them, Amin :thumbup:
Thanks Steen! I agree with you that probably C1 and LR look best as processed this way, but I don't doubt that Aperture could be used to give a similar look.

archiM44

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the skin tone rendition in properly white balanced RAW files. I have found that to be quite different for each of the processors and have had to tweak profiles in CaptureOne Pro profile editor and now often must do the same in Lightroom2 using the Adobe DNG editor.
For subjects where skin tones are not essential all three give very acceptable results.
Sorry for butting into this thread as I use a Leica M8 at max 2500 ISO but am thinking of adding a Nikon DSLR.

Maurice

Terry

I would be interested in seeing a comparison of the skin tone rendition in properly white balanced RAW files. I have found that to be quite different for each of the processors and have had to tweak profiles in CaptureOne Pro profile editor and now often must do the same in Lightroom2 using the Adobe DNG editor.
For subjects where skin tones are not essential all three give very acceptable results.
Sorry for butting into this thread as I use a Leica M8 at max 2500 ISO but am thinking of adding a Nikon DSLR.

Maurice
Hey,
Thanks for butting in. Do you have a good M8 DNG profile for LR2 that does well with skin tones? Wanna share it :grin:?

Terry

archiM44

I will be happy to share them but I don't know how to post or send them.
Some I made by shooting the Macbeth chart, others using portrait shots.
I have one which I made to compensate for magenta cast on blacks when not using the IR filter but it doesn't work on all files. Because you can always trash them it won't matter if they don't work for you.
So tell me how to send.

Maurice

archiM44

here are two profiles to start
View attachment 7039

My iMac 20" monitor is calibrated to 80 cd/m2 using x-rite I1 photo which gives me a perfect match with the output of my Epson 3800 printer and any of my profiled papers.

archiM44

View attachment 7040Mike and Terry,
Loading the profiles into LR2 by simply placing them in the user\application support\adobe\camera raw\camera profiles folder doesn't seem to work. (I just tried it!)
It does work if I send you the recipe, download it to your desktop then open it from the DNG profiler it and then export it as a M8 camera file.
Let me know if this works.

Terry

Awesome, thanks I will give it a whirl today.I love getting Leica help on a Nikon thread. :LOL:

Also, I use Eye 1 and print on a 3800.

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Thanks!! I'm using a mac and a 23" monitor and print from a Canon ipf6100, I'll try it this evening.

archiM44

The adjustments I made to the profile are very gentle. Generally I find the skin tones in LR (1 and 2) slightly too magenta and that is what I corrected for.
As far as I am concerned, the new profile in LR2 for the M8 is even worse than the former one.

maurice