The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Getting the most detail out of D700 NEFs

A

asabet

After playing with these apps some more, I'm even more impressed with RAW Developer. Using RD with the Richardson Lucy method for sharpening (RD gives several options) is giving me the kind of "per pixel sharpness" in D700 files that I was used to seeing with the 5D and Capture One. Makes me wonder what 5D files look like in Raw Developer!

etrigan63

Forgive me for being dense. How are you opening D700 files in Aperture? I have some sample D700 files and Aperture (latest version) reports them as unsupported formats.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
What do you all feel about Adobe Lab's recent profiles for ACR, the CS3 version? I am finding that the Beta does a really nice job on the D700 files, and (echoing Guy) for me it's all about the workflow. I have not tried Aperture or Lightroom even though I am all-Mac based (in the middle of a big project), but Bridge and batch processing work well for me. cheers to all, KL

A

asabet

Forgive me for being dense. How are you opening D700 files in Aperture? I have some sample D700 files and Aperture (latest version) reports them as unsupported formats.
Hi Carlos, Jono gave a method here. Another way is to use a program like Exif Tool to change the EXIF to Nikon D3 as the camera model. I've been using this method because D3 NEFs are supported in all of my RAW apps.

A

asabet

What do you all feel about Adobe Lab's recent profiles for ACR, the CS3 version? I am finding that the Beta does a really nice job on the D700 files, and (echoing Guy) for me it's all about the workflow. I have not tried Aperture or Lightroom even though I am all-Mac based (in the middle of a big project), but Bridge and batch processing work well for me. cheers to all, KL
Hi Kit,
I think they did a really nice job matching the NX2 colors with the beta ACR profiles. If I were a pro handling large numbers of files, I'd probably be using ACR/Lightroom more than anything else.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Amin. There are times of course where you can spend hours on a single image, and it is time well spent. Other times other criteria apply; then it's workflow all the way. Cheers, KL

Terry

Kit,
I am using Lightroom and downloaded all of the profiles from Adobe. I have not found one that is a general "go to" for all files however. I am not sure how many of these ACR gives you access to. If you have them all have you tried the ones called D2x?

robmac

The more I play with RD (trial version) the more I like it - on NEFs and CR2s. CS3 will always be the 'next step' package for image origami if the image/intended output necessitates it.

However, as a simple, clean and exceptionally fast 'raw developer' that excels as wringing-out detail and gives you just enough (but not too many tools), I'm really starting to develop some respect for it.

A

asabet

If Alien Skin develops plugins for Aperture or Lightroom, then I may fully commit to a self contained RAW/DAM environment. However, as things stand, I bring a lot of images into Photoshop in order to apply color film simulations in Alien Skin Exposure. I tried using Color Efex in Aperture and the color film simulations in Color Efex just don't so it for me. The Exposure simulations by comparison take a long time, even on a quad Mac Pro with plenty of RAM, but they're worth waiting for IMO. Since I'm bringing files into CS3 anyway, it makes sense to use a lightweight RAW processor, and RD excels in that aspect.

If anyone experienced at using Aperture is willing to try a file of mine, I'd be very interested in seeing the results. I've uploaded a D700 NEF along with my version processed in Raw Developer. Mine lost a touch of detail because of a subsequent red/cyan CA removal step in CS3, but it is still noticeably more detailed than anything I've been able to get out of an Aperture workflow.

I used the Nikon 24mm f/2.8 AIS at f/11 ISO 200, and some of the foliage is blurred due to windy conditions and a slow shutter speed. Still, there's enough detail for these purposes. I'm interested to see whether someone who knows their way around Aperture can get the same kind of apparent detail using that program that I'm getting in Raw Developer. I don't doubt that someone more experienced with RD could get more with that app also.

The NEF and my version (saved as 8-bit TIFF) are here.

Regards,
Amin

Stuart Richardson

I am interested in RAW developer, but it just seems too pricey to me. 125 dollars for a very slim featured program. Lightroom only cost me 99 dollars with a student discount (I had taken classes at ICP), and lightroom does so much more...

H

hermie

Kit,
I am using Lightroom and downloaded all of the profiles from Adobe. I have not found one that is a general "go to" for all files however. I am not sure how many of these ACR gives you access to. If you have them all have you tried the ones called D2x?
Both Lightroom and ACR use the same set of profiles.

Herman

woodyspedden

I am interested in RAW developer, but it just seems too pricey to me. 125 dollars for a very slim featured program. Lightroom only cost me 99 dollars with a student discount (I had taken classes at ICP), and lightroom does so much more...
Stuart

For my money Lightroom and RD have somewhat different purposes. Llghtroom is a wonderful DAM tool and does a credible job at raw conversion as well. Raw Developer, much like C1, seems to get the most from the files that you want to work on for later printing etc. Colors are more accurate and the detail seems better at least to my eyes. Given that C1 Pro is $400, and Lightroom is $199, Raw Developer at $125 is priced competitively in my opinion. I love the program and Brian is a super responsive guy if you ever do have any issue.

I would say give the trial a real hard try to see if you maintain that $125 is too pricey. JMHO and YMMV

Woody

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Woody. I will give it another try. I tried once, but I don't remember it being worth the expense or the hassle of learning another software program.

robmac

The nice thing about the RD trial is it uses a discrete watermark vs a time limit so you can play with it ad infinitum.

What I like about it is the simplicity and (as result) speed: Raw in -> TIFF into CS3/Aperture/LR for DAM/further bending.

Having CS3, Aperture 2 and C1V4 on my Mac, I'm reluctant to buy yet another package - especially as am now eyeballing Nik's Silver Efex and Viveza (if I don't go Nikon), but RD is looking better and better the more I play with it.

A

asabet

I'm now using Aperture for most images. It's fast, easy, has the great plugins, and does a great job with D700 colors. However, when I really like an image, I export the NEF from the Aperture library and rework it in Raw Developer. They make a great combination!

jonoslack

I'm now using Aperture for most images. It's fast, easy, has the great plugins, and does a great job with D700 colors. However, when I really like an image, I export the NEF from the Aperture library and rework it in Raw Developer. They make a great combination!
Hi Amin
I'm sure that's the right way to go about it (mind you, I keep all my files 'in their current location').

DAM first - exception afterwards