The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I switched: D3 --> D700

Maarten

Hi,

Although I don't post many messages I do read the threads. One of my questions to this forum was wether to take the D3 or the Leica M8 on my trip to Japan (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1515&highlight=m8+d3+japan). In the end I traveled light and took the M8 with a 15mm CV, 35mm Summicron Asph and a Noctilux. Although this proved to be a versatile travel set I did miss a more easy and lazy way of picture taking. And in Japan the people are to scared of cameras, everybody takes pictures. I was tempted to buy a D300 with a 18-200mm lens, but resisted.

Next month I will be doing a workshop with Jay Maisel in New York. Again I was in doubt which camera to take with me. The huge D3 or the M8. But after reading many posts on the D700 I finally made the choice to use buy the smaller D700 and sell the D3. Although I will loose a lot on the sale of the D3 I think that I will be much happier with the D700. If both cameras would have been released at the same time I would have chosen the D700. I loved the F100 and never even thought of buying an F5 in the analog days.

Thanks for providing the info. Maybe without even knowing your messages are read and used by many others.

Maarten

robmac

Congrats. Would love to hear your thoughts on the 700 once you get a chance to shoot with it.

Maarten

One of my first, subjective, impressions is that the mirror slap is more noticeable then on the D3. It sounds a little different. Maybe this is just my camera. Did anyone else had the same experience?

The files are wonderful, of course. I really like the smaller size of the camera and although 300 grams of weight difference might sound small, at least that's what I thought, I really makes a difference. It is much more portable.

jonoslack

Hi Maarten
Congratulations on your financial catastrophe . . . I just made exactly the same one :ROTFL:

One of my first, subjective, impressions is that the mirror slap is more noticeable then on the D3. It sounds a little different. Maybe this is just my camera. Did anyone else had the same experience?
I thought that to start with - especially on the return, where you can feel the camera vibrate . . . but now it seems to have settled down, and seems nicer and quieter - I wonder if shutters 'wear in'
The files are wonderful, of course. I really like the smaller size of the camera and although 300 grams of weight difference might sound small, at least that's what I thought, I really makes a difference. It is much more portable.
I never much minded the weight, but the difference of people's attitude is huge - point a D3 at someone and they hide under the table!

I've had my D700 for about a month now, and haven't regretted the change for a minute.

robmac

You guys are killing me - my mouse keeps hovering on/off the 'add to cart' button on this beast....

I'm (edit) 'not' surprised you feel a bit more slap - I find the extra mass of Canon 1 series or Nikon DX helps tame perceived slap.

Last edited:

Maarten

Hi Jono,

Hi Maarten
Congratulations on your financial catastrophe . . . I just made exactly the same one :ROTFL:
:cry:

I read all about it. I promised myself not to buy anymore photogear this year and no new camera before 2010.... at least I promised myself I will try.. I hope... :p

I thought that to start with - especially on the return, where you can feel the camera vibrate . . . but now it seems to have settled down, and seems nicer and quieter - I wonder if shutters 'wear in'
I hope so. Maybe it is also the weight difference between the D3 and D700. I will keep a close watch on it and fire my F100 to see if it feels similar.

I never much minded the weight, but the difference of people's attitude is huge - point a D3 at someone and they hide under the table!
Are you sure this was caused by the look of the camera?! ;)
I've had my D700 for about a month now, and haven't regretted the change for a minute.
I remembered your advise to take both the M8 and the D3 on my backpacking trip (semi-luxury version) through Japan, but I took the German camera to the land of Nikon and Canon (and Sony and Pentax and...). There were a couple people really interested in the Leica. I went to an Eliot Erwitt exhibition in Kyoto and someone even asked me to try it! So much for the shy Japanese!

bradhusick

I didn't have a D3 but I find the D700 a little "thick" to hold. I wish it was the same thickness as the Canon 1D series at the grip. Other than that, the experience so far has been great.

jonoslack

Hi Jono,

Are you sure this was caused by the look of the camera?! ;)
What COULD you be suggesting :ROTFL:

Actually, as it's still me, and they ain't hiding, I can only assume it's because the D3 hid more of my angelic features :)

I remembered your advise to take both the M8 and the D3 on my backpacking trip (semi-luxury version) through Japan, but I took the German camera to the land of Nikon and Canon (and Sony and Pentax and...). There were a couple people really interested in the Leica. I went to an Eliot Erwitt exhibition in Kyoto and someone even asked me to try it! So much for the shy Japanese!
Well, I'm glad you had a good trip - I'm now anguishing about what to take for a trip to Crete. Current favorite is the E3, 12-60 / 70-300 and a small Leica kit - cv15 zm50 sonnar and 75 cron. But I'm not going for 3 weeks and I change my mind every day!

jonoslack

You guys are killing me - my mouse keeps hovering on/off the 'add to cart' button on this beast....

I'm (edit) 'not' surprised you feel a bit more slap - I find the extra mass of Canon 1 series or Nikon DX helps tame perceived slap.
Hi Rob - there is a bit of vibration after the mirror return, but it's a good noise, and seems well damped on the up stroke. Sound is quieter than D3, but not quite as smooth. Not like some cameras (stamping on a tin can).

But why oh why can't they make them like the Olympus E1 (which is much quieter than an M8).

sigh

Oh yes - press the button, you KNOW it makes sense
:D:D

Maarten

Kyoto is a smorgasbord of art museums and galleries. Where in Kyoto is this exhibition?

Thanks.
It ran from April 18th - May 18th in the Kahitsukan, Kyoto Museum of Contemporary Art (http://www.kahitsukan.or.jp). They published a catalogue which is really nice. I bought it. I assume you can still buy this. Elliot Erwitt has a special relationship with Kyoto. I think it was his father who lived in a monastery in Kyoto.

The photo below I took at the exhibition. (I hope this is allowed.)