Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 3 Nikon mount lenses @ 18mm (for Guy)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

3 Nikon mount lenses @ 18mm (for Guy)

Guy, just did a controlled Interior shoot test of my entertainment center using the Nikon 17-35/2,8, 14-24/2.8, and Zeiss 18/3.5. After all this work, I didn't want to have this get lost in the other thread

Method: HD tripod with D700 mounted. Mounted 17-35/2.8 @18mm and squared up as best I could ... locked down the tripod ... manual focused using LV @ 10X ... manual metered @ f/6.3 ... then without moving anything ... swapped out for the 14-24 set at 18mm at same f stop ... focused at 10X ... then swapped out for the Zeiss 18mm at f/6.3 ... focused @ 10X ... opened all 3 in ACR and adjusted nothing ... toggled between each to see the differences.

(Any slightly off kilter squaring up is irrevelant as all 3 lenses were then shot without changing anything.)

Conclusion: generally, for this type application, the Nikon 14-24 is the superior optic of the 3. Slightly less distortion over the Zeiss, and much better than the 17-35 ... less vignetting than either lens.

Zeiss is slightly cooler (as we all already know) ... however, the Zeiss was more "color accurate" to the real thing. The white brick walls were dead on the money where both Nikon lenses had a very slight reddish cast when closely inspected.

Note 18mm setting on 14-24 is not exactly accurate compared to the 17-35 and Zeiss 18mm ... it reads 19mm when set dead center on the 18mm marking ... but from looking at the images I think that is even ambitious and the field of view is even narrower than 19mm.

Out toward the edges sharpness/resolution of detail is very close between the Zeiss and 14-24 ... but here is an observation that everyone will love to hate ... the 17-35 beat both the Zeiss and 14-24

So, were I doing interior architecture work my weapon of choice would be the my Rollei view camera and Schneider Digitar 28/2.8 with the H3D/39 back ... BUT if I had to use a DSLR it would be the 14-24/2.8.

For travel and street photography it'd be the Zeiss 18, and for landscapes where verticals and distortion were less of an issue I'd use the 17-35 ...at least my copy of that lens since it seems to be excellent.

Solution: buy them all
    Last edited by fotografz; 6th November 2008 at 15:30.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: 3 Nikon mount lenses @ 18mm (for Guy)

Thanks for the comparison Marc! This is the kind of stuff I like to see. I only have the 17-35 out of this bunch, but I think it is all I need. I would probably sell it and go for the Zeiss if the Zeiss had AF, but I just can't get used to the backwards focusing on all the Nikons. Distortion is a bit of a pet peeve for me -- most of my photography has been on rangefinders with Leica or Mamiya 7 lenses, so I am just not used to seeing it. One thing I like about the 17-35 is that it seems better to me at 24-28mm than the 24-70 zoom -- it is not as sharp, but it has less distortion. Since 24mm is my favored wide angle focal length, I prefer the 17-35 at that setting if I have the choice. The 17-35 even fared very well versus the 19mm Elmarit when I tested them both. The 14-24 looks like it has the least distortion of the bunch at 18mm though. Not too surprising...most of these types of zooms have the least distortion in the middle of their range.

Thanks again for the comparison, it was very helpful.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Solution: buy them all

Thanks for the comparison, Marc

(and the conclusion as well ).

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting the Nikon 14-24 seems to have less barrel and that is a zoom. Makes no sense. Not surprised by the 17-35 it is a great optic designed for Full Frame Film. Marc thanks for running this test. It proves one other thing to me at least use my Phase back and a digitar lens. Interesting you have the 28 2.8 digitar. I heard that lens was not as good as the 24mm. I would rather have the 28mm for interiors.

Just looking back look at the 18mm on the right side bowing out
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nice self portraits on the television screen .

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Nice job Fotografz.

I dont own the 17-35/28 anymore, so i havent had a chance to compare it.

Im a little suprised that @*F/6,3 the 17-35/2,8 is best in the corners.

The Nikkor falls behind in the corners from F/3,5 even up to F/8. The Zeiss has a more even performance across the field, so it would be my choice for landscapes.

The Nikkor certainly has a more reddish tone to it, and is my first choice for interior, becuase its a zoom and it can go to 14mm. Its also a lens that has excellent center performance upclose wid open and can become a very creative tool.

Any chances of posting 100% crops of the corners ?

Ill try to post some comparison pics later today.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Marc
    Thank you for that - excellent work, especially with respect to distortion.

However, My interest with these lenses is mostly landscape, and I think you have simply missed testing the weakest point, which is the corners.

I got rid of my 17-35 a couple of years ago, because the corners were impossibly soft on the Kodak SLR/n - the EDGES were fine - simply an arc around the corners. This wasn't really improved by stopping down either.

The remarkable thing about the 14-24 is that it doesn't suffer from this (see my shots in the other thread).

So, although the distortion issue is, of course, very relevant, I still haven't really any clue as to how good the 18mm zeiss is in the corners (the 25mm for instance is not really that great - even stopped down)

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Marc
    Thank you for that - excellent work, especially with respect to distortion.

However, My interest with these lenses is mostly landscape, and I think you have simply missed testing the weakest point, which is the corners.

I got rid of my 17-35 a couple of years ago, because the corners were impossibly soft on the Kodak SLR/n - the EDGES were fine - simply an arc around the corners. This wasn't really improved by stopping down either.

The remarkable thing about the 14-24 is that it doesn't suffer from this (see my shots in the other thread).

So, although the distortion issue is, of course, very relevant, I still haven't really any clue as to how good the 18mm zeiss is in the corners (the 25mm for instance is not really that great - even stopped down)
    Good observation, I will test all three for corner sharpness.

This test was for Guy who needs an Architectual solution and was considering the 14-24 or ZF18 (I just added the 17-35 because I have one) ... I assumed distortion was a major consideration (who wants to sit there correcting every shot for barrel or pincusion distortion?) Vignetting is a no brainer fix and can be batch processed out as it is a constant. I have actions preset for certain W/A lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Nice self portraits on the television screen .
    I likes Irakley's better :-)
    -bob

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Sadly i dont have beautiful room to show for, nor a scenery, im still a bit under cause of the flue.

Anyway here is a scene(my office)
    Camera: Nikon D3
    Whitebalance: Auto
    Exposure: Manual
    Support: Studio tripod, cable relase, mirror lock up.
    Focus: Live view 10x (manual)
    Format: Raw
    Converter: ACR
    Post processing: NONE

Full scene Zeiss @ F/11

Full scene Nikkor @ F/11

Center crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 02:50.

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Top left corner crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Bottom right corner crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I assume the usual sample variation argument will fit like a glove for some.

Should be noted though that My D3 + 24-70+14-24 was turned in for a checkup last month. All adjusted and checked to be within spec. NPS has its treats. :-)

Conclusion
    Well this is only one test...

Corners: Zeiss without doubt
    Center: A wash
    Barrel distortion: Nikkor, check the right side (doors)
    Flare: Yet to test
    Vignette: Without doubt Nikkor

And your offcourse entitled to form your own, based on the material.
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 03:00.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.R.Lindqvist View Post
    Nice job Fotografz.

I dont own the 17-35/28 anymore, so i havent had a chance to compare it.

Im a little suprised that @*F/6,3 the 17-35/2,8 is best in the corners.

The Nikkor falls behind in the corners from F/3,5 even up to F/8. The Zeiss has a more even performance across the field, so it would be my choice for landscapes.

The Nikkor certainly has a more reddish tone to it, and is my first choice for interior, becuase its a zoom and it can go to 14mm. Its also a lens that has excellent center performance upclose wid open and can become a very creative tool.

Any chances of posting 100% crops of the corners ?

Ill try to post some comparison pics later today.
    I didn't say "best in corners", I said "out toward the edges."

I wasn't testing for the corners ... this was for Guy to see relative distortion @ 18mm between the ZF18 and 14-24 ... I just added the 17-35 for kicks ... which is a lens I use at weddings on the D700 because I like the range to size ratio and balance on the smaller D700.

No axe to grind on any of the three ... I paid my money for all three so am relatively unbiased

When I get a minute, I'll try a controlled corner test.

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I truly didnt mean to critize your test in anyway, i fully understand that it was a test for Guy, and a good one at that it seems.

Sorry about the mixup, i assumed edges was same as corners, my bad.

I was just curious regarding the 17-35, cause i never found the 17-35/2,8 to be that good until you stopped it down a bit.

Just for the record, i didnt steal any of my lenses... I think most of us pay for our gear.
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 02:51.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I truly didnt mean to critize your test in anyway, i fully understand that it was a test for Guy, and a good one at that it seems.

Sorry about the mixup, i assumed edges was same as corners, my bad.

I was just curious regarding the 17-35, cause i never found the 17-35/2,8 to be that good until you stopped it down a bit.

Just for the record, i didnt steal any of my lenses... I think most of us pay for our gear.

What I meant was that I have all three lenses.

I like your corner test ... saves me doing one for myself. Shows the merits of the ZF18 for certain applications. The Zeiss is clearly the winner there by a good margin.

Whew, good thing too, it wasn't a inexpensive investment ... although my main reason for getting it was it's size compared to the other choices.

Most of my 35mm DSLR stuff is more casual applications that aren't that demanding in terms of enlargments. I really like the ZF18 for over-all snap and separation of colors ... which is also important to me when converting to B&W ... I hate color casts ... especially reddish color casts when using channel conversions on photos with people in them ...

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Hehe np

Yes my main reason to acquire the ZF18 was size and filters for trips, i will be using it mostly for scenery.

With a H3D i can totally understand that.

Yes removing color casts can bee tideous especially when it comes to people pictures.
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 03:47.

Post Thanks / Like

How is the curvature of field on the Zeiss 18mm? One problem I've found with my Canon wide angle zooms and the Oly 18mm, was that the field of focus was not flat. It is extremely difficult to hold depth of field in a near/far composition when you are low to the ground, and it's not just depth of field calculations coming into play. It's also because as you reach the extreme corners on some wide angle lenses, the point of focus curves inward.

Should be noted though that My D3 + 24-70+14-24 was turned in for a checkup last month. All adjusted and checked to be within spec. NPS has its treats. :-)

Conclusion

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great tests folks. Bottom line it looks like the Nikkor has the best distortion , less vignetting and good color . Plus you have other focal lengths to use. So for interiors or when distortion counts the best choice out of the three. The Zeiss like the Zeiss 18mm for the M8 is very sharp across the board but suffers vignetting and distortion much worse but overall for most folks maybe a better choice. Since most folks don't need the best at distortion anyway. It's smaller and travels better. What I find interesting is there is a real difference it seems between them. This maybe a simple choice between the type of shooting one does for sure. Awesome test folks and i know I appreciate everyones efforts and so do the other forum members. This is what makes this place great is the sharing of info we do and even better the respect we have for each other.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Conclusion

I don't much like the look of the Zeiss corners, but they're much better than the nikkor, which are horrid.

Paul, one thing I can say categorically, is that you should take your nikkor back - I'm not getting corner results even faintly like that:

Admittedly, it's f8, but it's 100% crop at 18mm - it doesn't look much like yours does it!

My opinion is that this indicates a real problem with any lens testing, that the sample variation often varies more than the difference between one model and another.

I just can't see that your lens is okay though, if it were mine I'd be straight back and on to Nikon

Unless, of course, it's simply out of focus?

All the best

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Remeber folks this is ONE test, it may very well be that the corner diffrence is due to the FC that many of "wider" ZF lenses have.

I suspect it is, time will tell when i have had time to test some more.

Jono:
    I can assure you that nothing is wrong with my lens, you simply dont have any material that is matchable as far as comparisons are concerned. Iv compared it to a friends just when i got it, and they performed more or less identical.

I live very close to Nikon Sweden, and probebly spent more time there during a year then most will in a lifetime.

I know your thoughts on sample variations, despite what you may think the tolerance for error when they check for it is very small.

Again this was one test, and the substantial diffrence in the corners may very well be due to FC.

Kindest
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 06:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Please don't take this as an offense Paul, but I don't think this corner test is particularly useful, other than as an indication of how the lenses perform in the corners of the out of focus areas in front of the plane of focus. You focused on the monitor, right? Because the upper left corner crop you provided is a good 2m or so in front of that monitor -- you are not evaluating the corner performance at the plane of focus, but rather in front of it. This a practical real-world evaluation for this situation, but not really a fair test of corner performance. Different lenses have different apparent depth of field even at the same focal length and aperture -- for example, the Leica ASPH lenses tend to have less apparent depth of field than their older counterparts because they are better corrected for curvature of field and spherical aberration. In this case, the Nikon might be doing worse in the corners because it is actually better corrected in the corners! If the Zeiss has curvature of field it might look better in the corners if they are outside the plane of focus. Anyway, I guess my point is that you can't really judge their corner performance fairly until you do it with something flat, so that you can look at the performance all the way across the actual plane of focus.

I do realize this is just one test though, and I do not mean to denigrate your effort -- thank you for doing it, as it is still very interesting for distortion, vignetting and center performance.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Paul.R.Lindqvist

No offense taken at all Stuart!

And i agree, ill test some more when i can go out, sadly i dont have any brickwalls in my flat. .-)

Kindest

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey we banned brick walls from GetDPI. Com

Just kidding

Paul.R.Lindqvist

LOL, thats a good thing imo!

Ill try to upload my latest test later tonight, wich was shooting a "flat" subject, a wall if you will (not brickwall though lol)

Kindest

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We will let you be the exception to the rule Paul. LOL

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I feel special alredy!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono:
    I can assure you that nothing is wrong with my lens, you simply dont have any material that is matchable as far as comparisons are concerned. Iv compared it to a friends just when i got it, and they performed more or less identical.

I live very close to Nikon Sweden, and probebly spent more time there during a year then most will in a lifetime.

I know your thoughts on sample variations, despite what you may think the tolerance for error when they check for it is very small.

Again this was one test, and the substantial diffrence in the corners may very well be due to FC.

Kindest
    Reading Stuart's message, I realise you didn't refocus for the corners - if that's the case your lens may be fine . . . or it may not, but to conclude that the Zeiss has sharper corners on a test done with the focal point two meters in front seems a little rash - a slightly more convex plane of focus would account for that!

I had, of course, assumed that you had refocused for the corner shots to get the lens in focus . . . . my bad!

On the other hand, I've never even been to Nikon Sweden, so I'll allow that you know much more than me about sample variation.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Hey we banned brick walls from GetDPI. Com
    Ooops! Ban coming up - I'm extremely sorry Guy.

P.S. Vivek told me to do it.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pardon Granted. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think Stuart hit the nail on the head. Here's a couple of shots with my 14-24 at 18mm. The box in the lower left corner is on the same plane as the brochure in the center.

The overall scene at 2.8:

Center at 2.8:

Center at 4.0:

Lower left at 2.8:

Lower left at 4.0:

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Seitz View Post
    I think Stuart hit the nail on the head. Here's a couple of shots with my 14-24 at 18mm. The box in the lower left corner is on the same plane as the brochure in the center.
    Hi Greg
    Excellent stuff - that's what I'm seeing with mine.

quite a difference from:

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Reading Stuart's message, I realise you didn't refocus for the corners - if that's the case your lens may be fine . . . or it may not, but to conclude that the Zeiss has sharper corners on a test done with the focal point two meters in front seems a little rash - a slightly more convex plane of focus would account for that!

I had, of course, assumed that you had refocused for the corner shots to get the lens in focus . . . . my bad!

On the other hand, I've never even been to Nikon Sweden, so I'll allow that you know much more than me about sample variation.
    No its my bad, iv should have stated where and how i focused.

I think you find my latest test to be alot more fair.

Kindest

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jono. The 14-24 always puts a smile on my face - pretty amazing lens considering its range.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ooops! Ban coming up - I'm extremely sorry Guy.

P.S. Vivek told me to do it.
    How are we going to see distortions and/or vignetting if there are no brick wall shots involved?

Though, I appreciate all the test samples that everyone here have showed so kindly by investing their time and effort (and caring to share with us), as the disagreements show, home interiors do not answer those two issues (distortion and vignetting) adequately.
    Last edited by Vivek; 23rd August 2008 at 09:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay ban lifted on brick walls . Go get them , but can we add some color to them. LOL

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay ban lifted on brick walls . Go get them , but can we add some color to them. LOL
    Ouch - now he tells me that walls ARE okay.
    but that my 1690 wall with hollyhocks isn't colourful enough

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That one was good. I like Hollyhocks

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Flat wall test

So to eliminate FC i tested with a flat subject, a wall.. .-)

Camera: Nikon D3
    Whitebalance: Auto
    Exposure: Aperture priority, due to the use of flash.
    Support: Studio tripod, cable relase, mirror lock up.
    Focus: Live view 10x (manual)
    Format: Raw
    Converter: ACR
    Post processing: NONE

Full scene Zeiss @ F/11

Full scene Nikkor @ F/11

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Center crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Top left corner crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Bottom right corner crops

F/3,5

F/5,6

F/8

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Paul
    Now I'm going back to my previous comment - I think your lens is not right.

Unlike your rigorous and careful preparation, this was hand held at 1/50th second and focused manually on the ground glass screen, just to see.
    (so you should probably add a little camera shake into the equation, and assume that the picture is worse than the reality).

100% crop - 18mm f3.5

here's the whole photo

Greg's shot seemed to me to be what I was expecting to see, yours certainly isn't
    Last edited by jonoslack; 23rd August 2008 at 11:29.

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

I will have to repeat the test, just to see i didnt mess up on the manual focus.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI There
    incidentally, if it seems like I'm being picky about this, it isn't because I have anything against the Zeiss, quite the contrary, I'd love one, but I've bought several wide angles recently which I've been assured ARE sharp at the corners, only to find that they really aren't at all - even at quite small apertures.

I'm not trying to 'defend' the Nikon, but it's the only one out of a number of lenses I've tried on the D3/D700 which has been good enough, For lots of people corner sharpness isn't much of an issue (not because they care less, but because of the subject matter).

I do quite a lot of landscapes with just a sliver of land, and if that sliver is smudgy it really doesn't work that well! (especially if you print them out big):

D700, 14-24 at 20mm f9 ISO 200

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Well Jono im uploading new images soon. I analyzed the 3 test series i did with each lens, and noticed a inconsistensy on both the lenses, wich i only can blame on my mf ability.

Thats why the content is offline for a while.

Im now redoing it and checking the focus in between every f-stop, and a couple of shots at each f-stop to get the best out of 3.

Im not defending either, im keeping both. But if had to choose the Nikkor would be the pick, simply because i need it for my comercial work.

Kindest
    Last edited by Paul.R.Lindqvist; 23rd August 2008 at 12:57.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well Jono im uploading new images soon. I analyzed the 3 test series i did with each lens, and noticed a inconsistensy on both the lenses, wich i only can blame on my mf ability.

Thats why the content is offline for a while.

Im now redoing it and checking the focus in between every f-stop, and a couple of shots at each f-stop to get the best out of 3.

Im not defending either, im keeping both. But if had to choose the Nikkor would be the pick, simply because i need it for my comercial work.

Kindest
    Hi Paul
    Good Luck - I hope it pans out.
    I've had supper and a couple of glasses of wine.
    Now I'm off to bed

Just this guy you know

Paul.R.Lindqvist

Content online again.Please empty the cache of your browser

It seems that AF did a MUCH better job then me using liveview x10....

I actually foucused manually using liveview and then switched over to af, couldnt see a diffrence in the VF nor did i see the lens scale move. Still the diffrence was significant.

So i skipped mf on the Nikkor and relied on the AF. (seems that Nikon did a very good job when they had it all in for check up..)

Well i think the images speaks for them self, the substantial diffrence is gone, left is marginal diffrences depending where(for example look at the text top left of a sheet, and now compare the Zeiss logo at the lower right corner of a sheet) you look on the sheets you will find that the appearance of "sharpest" goes to one or the other.

But overall i think the nod goes to the Nikkor.

Paul.R.Lindqvist

First test re-done aswell. So focus errors can now be ruled out.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First test re-done aswell. So focus errors can now be ruled out.
    IMHO this needs a in-studio test using a test target ... I find it hard to believe there would be such a huge margin of manual focus error @ f/5.6 or smaller... especially using the 10X Live View ... it also needs an electronic release with a squared up, leveled and locked down camera stand.

Like I mentioned, my test for distortion was for Guy's purposes, where f-stop is mostly irrevelant ... but for center, edge-to-edge or corner sharpness, a different type of test is warranted.