Site Sponsors

Thread: Amateur Question d700

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amateur Question d700

I'm having trouble getting skin tones right inside using the built in flash. They look digital and muddy. Could it could be that I don't have some settings correct? I did some inside shots at church day care and they look like sh*t. Also with the 24-70 lens has anyone been getting shadows from I guess the lens hood on the bottom center of the image using the built in flash? I'm using NEF Lossless compression.

Jack, Guy, Would you consider a processing class in your area this January. I could use some training and get away from the cold.
    Mike

website under construction

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Amateur Question d700

Mike we will work on that been thinking Northern Arizona actually.

Mike I do think the 24-70 will create issues with the built in. One thing you can do is match the ambient to the flash output through shutter. So say you are at 5.6 with flash get the shutter down to output a good value at the 5.6 level by opening up the shutter longer . This way you get a better balance than relying solely on flash. Most times doing events I am at ISO 400 at 5.6 for flash but on manual I have the shutter down to 1/30 or so to let in a lot of ambient so take that flash only effect away somewhat. Matter of balancing the two together. Also the on camera flash is really better served as fill since it is straight on
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I read elsewhere that the 24-70 with hood on and built in flash has the problem you noted. If I can find the link, I will post it.

Also, what software are you processing with?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Guy I'll work with that...Terry, I'm using LR, I've got PS3 but I don't use it much, and really don't have to using the M8. I've seen some of the results Jono and others have posted so its me..I just got to figure out how to shoot it, or process it...Thanks for the help
    Mike

website under construction

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if you've moved up to LR2, download the DNG profiles from the Adobe site. Dont worry about the D2x naming as it just mimicing a set of picture controls. I haven't found a one size fits all profile but I do think some are an improvement. A couple seem to give give horrible color (IMHO).