The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D700 error

rayyan

D700 having Cha error with all cd cards
No manual with me

Any suggestions as I am in and out
Of all communications.

Computer crashed. iPhone misplaced!!
M took a knock and is misaligned.

Help appreciated. Using wife's iPhone
In a small village.

Fall has me limping and hand in plaster.

Else lovely time and place.

Thanks.

Udo

just checked the manual. This error message is related to a likely defective memory card. The manual recommends to check memory card's electrical contacts and/or to use a new card. That's all I could find. Sorry.

Does a camera reset help to solve that issue?

Good luck and best regards,
Udo

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Hi Rayyan,

incidentally stumbed upon your post... no D700 mauals around, but it's a known random (though rare) issue.

Here's what you can try:

- use a card formatted in camera.
(the issue mostly happens with cards not formatted for a long time or out-of-camera)
- remove battery/batteries then insert them back in place.
(if you use a grip, simply take it off and try bth batteries one after another)

If both fails and you still have the option to reinstall a fresh firmware, do that.
Then format card in-camera etc.

Not much, but hopefully this can help.

Best of luck my dear friend!

(no doubt our Master of Archives (Steen B.) will have further insight if he's around)

petetsai

Get a flashlight and look inside to inspect the pins where the CF card goes, if you have bent one then that is your problem. Inspect before trying another card as once you bend it it will usually crack or possibly get crushed flat into other pins creating shorts.. Hopefully its just a single defective CF card, but better to be safe before jamming another one in.

rayyan

Thank you all.

The Old dawg has bit the dust.:cry:

When did y'all say the D800 was due!!:D

See you folks after the car gets repaired.

Thanks once again for your kindness.

p.s tried all suggestions and advice. Grateful for that.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

D700 having Cha error with all cd cards
No manual with me …
Computer crashed. iPhone misplaced!!
M took a knock and is misaligned …
Fall has me limping and hand in plaster …
See you folks after the car gets repaired …

Wow, if there’s no local Camera store, I suggest you go see a local Astrologer, looks like a severe case of Unfortunate Planet Positions :shocked:

- - - - -

Honestly Rayyan, I wish I could take at least some of your present misfortune, such an amount of bad luck at the same time seems unfair for one single person to carry.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the CHA error message.

CHA error means Error accessing memory card, or Unable to create new folder, according to the Manual p. 413.

The Manual suggests you Check that contacts are clean, Delete files, or Insert new memory card.

Others have already suggested this, and I know you have already tried all these things.
The scary part is that you say it happens with all your cards.

Does the green access lamp on the back light briefly when the CF card is fully inserted, as it should acc. to the Manual p. 41 ?
Otherwise maybe a good blast of a dust blower or maybe even canned air on the contacts in the camera might help, though I guess you have no access to canned air right now.

Did you by any chance buy too big memory cards for your trip out in the wilderness ?
Here you can see the Approved memory cards for D700 acc. to the Manual

And here are the Approved memory cards for D700, acc. to Nikon’s Support Article No : 26795 Published on 12/09/2011.

So what’s left, I think I would take out the battery for the entire night and the next morning try a button driven format by the Mode button on the Top Right, along with the Delete button on the Back Upper Left.
They both have a red Format stamp beside them meaning you should press both buttons at the same time for about two seconds and when a blinking “For” appears in the control panel you need to press both buttons again for a second time.
(For security reasons we have to press both buttons twice to make sure a Format is actually intended).

Personally I use to format cards via the SETUP MENU, that’s the only reason why I describe the button possibility in detail here.
If one of the format methods doesn’t work, maybe the other method does.
Nah, I admit it’s not very likely. Still that’s what I would try if I were in your situation.

Btw., where are you, can I come by with a replacement camera :)
Are you in a dry desert, or in a humid rain forest, could it by any chance be too much humidity ?

Hope you will have a small miracle help you out.
Good luck, Rayyan

~Steen

rayyan

Hi steen

Very very kind of u to go thru all this
Trouble to reply. Much appreciated.

Pls join us. We r in Berber land in the
Atlas mountains on Maghreb.

But cutting the trek short due to star
Misalignment!

We shall continue vacations in main
Cities. I have confiscated the wife camera!

Small mishaps don't bother us

Tks again for your help

Best regards.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Rayyan, sounds like a great trip, the kind of experience that reminds us of the fragility of modern technology. Would have loved to be there, so I could become wiser too :)

Rayyan: Just now back from my visit to the US, I incidentally hear about your problems with the D 700/cards. So sorry that I/we can't really help! All the more I am pleased to find out that you enjoy your journey nevertheless.
Stay safe!

rayyan

Jorgen, Hermann

My apologies for late response. Things were in the way!!:D

Thank you both sincerely. Wish you were with us..honest.

Regards.

rayyan

Just to let you good folk know that the D700 has been resurrected!!:D

It was returned last evening.

The cf card reader was replaced. A full check-up and cleaning.

Total cost..$110.00

I would like to thank all friends that chimed in to help me out.

Thank you.:salute:

p.s The D700 is raring to go on another adventure!!