Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon Micro Lenses for non-macro shots

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon Micro Lenses for non-macro shots

Hello :

Quick question using macro/micro lenses for regular/non-macro shots -

I am considering replacing my 50mm and 85mm "regular / non-micro" lenses with the ones mentioned below - This way, I can use them for close-up as well as for images shot between the range from 3ft to infinity.

Would I experience deterioration in IQ using the macro/micro lenses as explained above as these lenses would be optimized for close-range distances and not for regular distances ( i.e. 3Ft to infinity ) ?
    The lenses in question are :

1. Nikon 60mm f/2.8G ED AF-S Micro-Nikkor Lens
    2. Nikon 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
    Await your replies hopefully based on your experiences.

Thanks,

Jai

ps : I have asked a similar question on a different forum - Idea being I'll get more replies.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon Micro Lenses for non-macro shots

Modern macro lenses are mostly plenty sharp at all focusing distance in my experiences. I do have a couple of issues with them though:

- With manual focusing, focus throw tends to be very long at macro distance and very short at portrait or longer distances, making them more difficult to focus manually at those distance.

- AF is mostly slower than with other prime lenses.

- They are usually heavier than other prime lenses.

For these reasons, I sold my Micro Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 AF and replaced it with a Nikkor 105mm f/1.8 AIS, which is heavy too, but more than a stop faster and much easier to focus at the distance I usually operate.

Even the excellent OM Zuiko 50mm f/2.0 Micro, I tend to use less these days (on m4/3), due to the difficult focusing near infinity.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen´s right, of course. And; I´ve used several Micro-Nikkors over the years, mostly MF, but also the 2,8/60mm. I started with a 2,8/55 some time in the early 80s, being obsessed with wild flowers.

The most surprising of them all was a 3,5/55 from 1964 that I used on a digital. Amazing image quality on all distances, really. This one is of course rather close, but still; sharp´nuff.

This summer two of my other lenses have been in for CLA, so I´ve been using my "newest" 2,8/55 a lot - bought for a song on ebay. Love the lens. This is on Arista/Tri-X via my old FM2n

leif e
    F2, FM2, D700, 3,5/20 UD, 2/35, 3,5/55, CV 2,5/75 (all ai or ai´d), 1,8/85 af-d,
    2,8/60 af-d

Post Thanks / Like

Hello :

Thanks for the replies - Glad to know that using the Macro/micro lenses for regular uses will not be an issue !

Jai