The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N?

P

Pontus

May a suggest the Micro-Nikkor AF 70-180mm f/4.5-5.6D ED.

This is the setup that I'm going for:
Sony NEX-5
NEX 16mm pancake - wide
NEX 18-55mm kit lens - travel and casual
70-180mm - macro and tele
Contax G 35/2 - normal
Hexanon 57/1.2 - low light and portrait

bensonga

Re: Which Nikkor Prime lens for Sony NEX 5N - or D800 .-)

my vote goes to Nikkor 2.5/105 :lecture:

for the way it walks
and the way it talks

an excellent lens for portraits and the like
The 105 f2.5 is one of my favorite AIS lenses too.

Another unique AIS Nikon lens to consider is the 55mm micro Nikkor. On an APS-C sized sensor (NEX 5N?) that would be equivalent to approx. 85mm FL.....one of my favorites for a full frame camera.

Here are a couple of shots taken with an older 55mm f3.5 micro Nikkor on a D2X. This lens works so well, I've never felt the need to replace it with the newer f2.8 model.

Gary

Last edited:

bensonga

Beautiful colors and shots Daniel. That 105 really shines in your hands. I see many of your shots are with film....were these also?

Gary

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Beautiful colors and shots Daniel. That 105 really shines in your hands. (...)
+ 1 ... and that goes for your own 'rusty car' shots as well, Gary.

Interesting to hear that you share the same impressions of the 2.5/105 AI-S Nikkor, Gary and Daniel, it's a remarkable piece of glass.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I've done a '180' and sold my recently purchased MF Nikkor lenses (at a profit, of course!). Still need to sell the Novoflex Nik/Nex adapter. I've decided that the V1 kit works quite well for me.

Congrats on your new V1 kit, Matt :thumbup:

Are you saying you have sold everything F mount now ?

Godfrey

I've done a '180' and sold my recently purchased MF Nikkor lenses (at a profit, of course!). Still need to sell the Novoflex Nik/Nex adapter. I've decided that the V1 kit works quite well for me.
Interesting! I'm curious to hear more and see your results.

My only reservation with the Nikon V1 and likewise the Pentax Q is that the small sensor format limits DOF control more than I'd prefer. FourThirds format is generally as small as I want to go so I can get good focus zone control; DX and FX provide more, my primary reason for being interested in them.

m_driscoll

Congrats on your new V1 kit, Matt :thumbup:

Are you saying you have sold everything F mount now ?
Interesting! I'm curious to hear more and see your results.

My only reservation with the Nikon V1 and likewise the Pentax Q is that the small sensor format limits DOF control more than I'd prefer. FourThirds format is generally as small as I want to go so I can get good focus zone control; DX and FX provide more, my primary reason for being interested in them.
Steen/Godfrey: Sold every thing Nikon F (except the old Nikkormat FTN and 50mm on my mantel). The V1 does have DOF limitations, but, my M9 and Sony's don't. M4/3 definitely has a better set of fast lens choices at the moment. I've been posting some V1 photos in the Nikon Images thread, and, I'm generally pleased with them. More 'noise' then I'm used to, but they clean up reasonably well all the way up to ISO 6400.

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com

Cheers, Matt.

momo

Nikon Forum:
I just ordered a Nikon lens to Sony Nex E adapter for use with my 5N. Now, I want to get a unique Nikon prime lens. Any reccomendations?

I figure with this combination, I can come back to the Nikon forum (which I miss :cry:)?

Cheers, Matt

http://mdriscoll.zenfolio.com
Hi Matt, I'm wondering, which adapter did you buy?...have fun with the lens hunting...I've got the 105 2.8 ai-s...just about my favorite lens...

TechIV

Personally, I find the 50 f1.2 to be overpriced for what it is. I like the voigtlander 58mm f1.4 better (ends up as a nice 85 equivalent too).
My list:
1. (Already mentioned) 105 f2.5 (105 f1.8 is not worth the size or weight, the only worthwhile increases in quality are the 105 dc and 105 f2.8 VR which are too big)
2. 35mm f1.4
3. 28mm f2
4. Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 (remains my favorite 50mm in any line outside of leica or hexanon)

BTW, beautiful F3HP... man I wish nice viewfinders--not these stupid dx subway tunnels.

2007.pierre

I think it is a good idea to mount nikon ai lens to a nex5N. The fact that you switch to manual is not an handicap since you can see the results immediately and correct accordingly....unless you are in the rush for automatics.
A year ago I sold my leica M4-2 and the lenses 28, 50and 90. The reason: This equipment was no better than my Nikon F and the 28-85, 105 and 200.
I agree with many members that the 85, 105 and 200 are very good lenses, certainly equal to my Leica gear. I am considering the Nex 5N for my wife with the standard zoom to make her life easy. On my side, using a good adaptor, I would like to mount my Nikon AI lenses that are far more better but require more handling. My question for those who like me are not in real love with numerics, is the Nex5N a good buy or a good second hand canon 5D Mark 1 better, considering that I have all the lenses to suit the full frame?
To ease the answer, I use my Nikon F most all the time, the numeric approach would be for pictures that are more familly oriented. Tks for your advice.