Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon AF WA lens for film, please advice

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon AF WA lens for film, please advice

I have sinned. Spent money that should have been used for food, rent and other unexpected expenses to buy a nice second hand F6. For me, it has been the ultimate camera since it was launched back in 2004, but apart from that, finding sensible reasons to buy one hasn't been easy. It still isn't, but I did anyway.

I will mainly use it with AF lenses (I have a rather complete OM setup for when I want to go all manual), and will mainly carry 3 primes. I already have a 50 and an 85, both f/1.8. What I need now is a WA lens in the 20-28mm range. The f/1.4s are out of the question due to high price, so the main candidates are the Nikkor 20, 24 and 28mm f/2.8. They have gotten somewhat mixed reviews on digital cameras, but it's my understanding that they all work better with film.

That leaves me with the question: Apart from the obvious difference in focal length, which of those lenses will give me the best results on film. I'm not too worried about bokeh when it comes to WA lenses, but sharpness, preferably corner to corner, is of great importance.

There are obviously outsiders that I may consider as well. The Sigmas spring to mind. Then there are a couple of Nikkor zooms and I seem to remember that the Tokina 17mm got good reviews back in the days.

Any opinions?

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon AF WA lens for film, please advice

Nikon 14-24?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Nikon 14-24?
    Too big, too expensive and I don't need the extreme wide angle. If I had that kind of money available, I wouldn't hesitate buying the 24mm f/1.4.

BCMielke

Sigma has 3 prime lenses that are all 1.8s? I think. 20, 24 and 28. I have owned the 24 it is quite good. It doesn't AF like the Nikon AFS lenses, but just as good as the other lenses that you have listed. I recall the reason I got the 24 was that the 20 didn't get good reviews.

I think it was Galen Rowell who loved the Nikon 24mm I think he did some pretty good work.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

AF-D 20/2.8?

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon 20-35 f/2.8.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
    Nikon 20-35 f/2.8.
    Now that is a lovely lens, but it's heavy, uses 77mm filters, isn't really sharp in the corners at wide angles, is still relatively expensive but most importantly: I'm mostly looking for a prime.