The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon AF WA lens for film, please advice

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have sinned. Spent money that should have been used for food, rent and other unexpected expenses to buy a nice second hand F6. For me, it has been the ultimate camera since it was launched back in 2004, but apart from that, finding sensible reasons to buy one hasn't been easy. It still isn't, but I did anyway.

I will mainly use it with AF lenses (I have a rather complete OM setup for when I want to go all manual), and will mainly carry 3 primes. I already have a 50 and an 85, both f/1.8. What I need now is a WA lens in the 20-28mm range. The f/1.4s are out of the question due to high price, so the main candidates are the Nikkor 20, 24 and 28mm f/2.8. They have gotten somewhat mixed reviews on digital cameras, but it's my understanding that they all work better with film.

That leaves me with the question: Apart from the obvious difference in focal length, which of those lenses will give me the best results on film. I'm not too worried about bokeh when it comes to WA lenses, but sharpness, preferably corner to corner, is of great importance.

There are obviously outsiders that I may consider as well. The Sigmas spring to mind. Then there are a couple of Nikkor zooms and I seem to remember that the Tokina 17mm got good reviews back in the days.

Any opinions?

B

BCMielke

Sigma has 3 prime lenses that are all 1.8s? I think. 20, 24 and 28. I have owned the 24 it is quite good. It doesn't AF like the Nikon AFS lenses, but just as good as the other lenses that you have listed. I recall the reason I got the 24 was that the 20 didn't get good reviews.

I think it was Galen Rowell who loved the Nikon 24mm I think he did some pretty good work. :)