The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First post in the Nikon Forum and introducing myself

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Yesterday, Jim Lakey confirmed that he had the BL-3 battery caps in stock, and he is sending that with the new 24/3.5 TS, and a Brightscreen (Proscreen) for the D3 for me to test. I am excited! I am very much looking forward to trying the ZF lenses on the D3 (I just have not had time in the last five months) and the Proscreen is just a great reason to play.

All this new stuff will arrive while I am in another city (book shoot and a workshop in the same city) so will have to wait, but if I like it, then I will get one for the D300, too, but send the body to Jim for fitting, testing and calibration. Even when AF-ing, I like the way the huge centre microprism goes completely clear as it focusses, just another confirmation.

I sold that 80-200 and the new owner loves it. I replaced it with the 70–200 VR, and the TC 1.4 II extender. Both work fine on both bodies—my testing setup may simply have been at the minimum focussing distance and I was confusing the results. cheers, kl

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Kit, is it easy for the user to change the screen on the D3, I thought it was built in and that you needed a bit more advanced camera surgery to change it ?

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Piece of cake: pull clip, remove and swap screen, close clip. Had to do it in the field last week (very dusty). Takes seconds. Cheers, KL

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
:eek: whoa, thanks Kit, I'm surprised to hear this, never saw that in the specifications when the camera was announced and released. In my mind a very important detail.
But with the D300 it ain't quite that simple, right ?

harmsr

Workshop Member
Kit,

I'll be very interested in what difference the focusing screen actually makes on the D3. I find the D3 much easier to manual focus than the D300. I have no issue manual focusing anything up to 50mm on either camera, but found the 85/1.4 difficult with the factory screen.

When I had the D200, I had one of Jim's screens with the split image and microprism collar. However, I did not like the split center when using autofocus lenses. I often also moved slightly to use the microprism collar when focusing if there were no straight lines to split. I guess this means that maybe I should have tried the 13mm microprism only spot.

Please let me know if it improves your focusing ability any on the D3.

Best,

Ray