The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Checking out the Nikon J1

R

RRRoger

The good quality of my V1 images is really surprising me.
This is my back yard pond project

ustein

Contributing Editor
>good quality of my V1 images is really surprising me.

I find the corners with the 10-30mm zoom a bit too soft.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
We had this discussion WRT edge softness of the 10-30 already!

I can only reiterate that mine does not show any significant edge softness, so I am quite happy with that lens.

Paratom

How do you like it overall.
If one would look for a "foolproof" camera for taking images of kids etc but still expecting decent IQ- how good is the AF and the metering etc if one puts all on auto? (I am looking for a camera for my wife and she doesnt like to think about f-stop/ISO and things like that)
Thanks, Tom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Tom,

if you (or your wife) looks for such a camera as you describe, IMHO the V1 (J1) is the perfect camera available today.

AF is fast down to decent light, absolutely not working in dark conditions, IQ is superb, for me even up to ISO3200 and the auto setting is really fool proof.

I sold meanwhile all my m43 gear and I am SO happy I made that switch to the V1. Was photographing an advent concert the other day and the results are stunning. Of course you have to adopt to the operation of the Nikon 1 system, but as soon as you have done that (mentally) it is a really capable system.

Also up till yesterday I was only using JPEG and the OOC JPEGs are even better what we are used from Olympus. So that might be another decision point for a camera for your wife.

But I warn you - you will get addicted yourself and there might be danger you even would prefer using it more than your S2 ;):D

Paratom

Peter,
do you use the v1 ir the j1?
I would personally prefer the v1, but I am not even shure how often my wife uses the viewfinder.
Regarding the S2....lets compare: v1 better high ISO, faster AF, more sophisticated exp metering, smaller, lower price....for somereason I still prefer the S2 for some things-I dont remember why.

Tom,

if you (or your wife) looks for such a camera as you describe, IMHO the V1 (J1) is the perfect camera available today.

AF is fast down to decent light, absolutely not working in dark conditions, IQ is superb, for me even up to ISO3200 and the auto setting is really fool proof.

I sold meanwhile all my m43 gear and I am SO happy I made that switch to the V1. Was photographing an advent concert the other day and the results are stunning. Of course you have to adopt to the operation of the Nikon 1 system, but as soon as you have done that (mentally) it is a really capable system.

Also up till yesterday I was only using JPEG and the OOC JPEGs are even better what we are used from Olympus. So that might be another decision point for a camera for your wife.

But I warn you - you will get addicted yourself and there might be danger you even would prefer using it more than your S2 ;):D

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If Nikon launches a pro body (V1 with articulated screen and more buttons) plus an ultrawide lens, this might mean a change from m4/3 for me. I've seen nothing but goodness from this system so far. Very impressive.

But then, there's whatever Fuji comes up with... decisions, decisions.

R

RRRoger

I have the V1 and like the heavier body than the J1.
The extra weight helps me stabilize my shots.
The V1 ViewFinder is very good and can be used outdoors for Video when the LCD is nearly useless.
The other thing is that it shares my D7000 battery
I took a HD1080i Video at 60fps and after 1 hour it was not close to running out of juice.
The D5100 battery would be nearly empty and I expect the same from the J1.

However, the J1 is cheaper, lighter, and comes in multiple colors.

R

RRRoger

If Nikon launches a pro body (V1 with articulated screen and more buttons) plus an ultrawide lens, this might mean a change from m4/3 for me. I've seen nothing but goodness from this system so far. Very impressive.
That would be the V2 and it might have a slight physically larger Sensor that could be used for much better 6400 ISO images.

7 prototype lens may soon be available.
They include:
14mm f/2.8
18mm f/1.4
32mm f/1.2
40mm f/2.8 Micro
60mm f/3.5 Micro
7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
9-43mm f/2.8-5.6

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter,
do you use the v1 ir the j1?
I would personally prefer the v1, but I am not even shure how often my wife uses the viewfinder.
Regarding the S2....lets compare: v1 better high ISO, faster AF, more sophisticated exp metering, smaller, lower price....for somereason I still prefer the S2 for some things-I dont remember why.
I am using the V1, as I prefer the additional EVF. But the J1 should do the job equally good.

And you can get it in pink - for your wife ;)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
That would be the V2 and it might have a slight physically larger Sensor that could be used for much better 6400 ISO images.

7 prototype lens may soon be available.
They include:
14mm f/2.8
18mm f/1.4
32mm f/1.2
40mm f/2.8 Micro
60mm f/3.5 Micro
7-13mm f/3.5-5.6
9-43mm f/2.8-5.6
Some of these look very appealing to me. Where do you have this list from?

Thanks

Peter

Terry

The bummer is on the specs of the F mount adapter. I was initially considering V1 + adapter as a long lens wildlife fast lens solution.

From Thom Hogan

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/december-2011/nikon-1-firmware-update-110.html

First, AF-S lenses require that the camera be set to Single Servo autofocus (AF-S) and the only focus mode available is Single-point. This means that using F-mount lenses for sports, birds in flight, and other subjects where tracking focus might be important is going to be less useful than originally thought. Likewise, if you pick continuous shooting, focus is frozen at the position of the first shot in each burst. That's a pity, and makes the Nikon1+FT1 combination a lot less desirable.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I never really considered mounting any Nikkor F bajonet lenses to the V1 (or J1) - this is just not my way of shooting and combining systems. So I actually do not care about that.

But I understand that many others are looking for this and the full functionality - maybe we are lucky and see a FW update.

R

RRRoger

There is already a non-AF AfterMarket adapter available for under $100.
I can live with Single spot AF-S for stills, but want FullTime focus for Video.
I want to use the N1 adapter for my faster, wider lens and Video
unless something faster CX is released first.

I like the CX 18mm f/1.4 for indoor Video
And the CX 7-13 f/3.5-5.6 & 9-43 f/2.8-5.6 for Trips, Hikes, and Landscapes.
If the 9-43 is a "Power Zoom" I could also use it for Video.
I am surprised there is no Telephoto lens on the list?
I wonder if Nikon has a patent on one?

R

RRRoger

[QUOTE

Are there some nice sample movies for the Nikon V1[/QUOTE]
Lots on Vimeo
Just google V1 Videos

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>I can only reiterate that mine does not show any significant edge softness, so I am quite happy with that lens.

Good to hear. Also full open?

Do you have the 30-110mm lens?

My loaner 10-30mm would second these results:

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_1_nikkor_vr_10_30mm_f_35_56_review/sharpness_1/

Are there some nice sample movies for the Nikon V1
Cannot complain also wide open.

Have also the 30-110 and this lens is even better than the 10-30. Especially the range you get from such a small lens.