The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Colorado

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Beautiful place Mike. I confess, I'm wicked jealous of that guy in the flat water. However, and it might just be my monitor, but they all look a bit dark to me.

Have fun!
Tim

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Tim, It probably isn't your monitor, I'm traveling only with a small laptop. Pick one out and fix it and I'll adjust.....Thanks

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I took a very fast swipe at this, there's probably a lot you can do with the RAW file. I just played with the levels a bit and might have even gone too far, but this will give you an alternative to look at on your screen.

Tim

hdrmd

Mike: More beautiful work. I m heading to Colorado later this week and I, too, am taking the 700 and D3 as well as Leica M8. The Aspens should turn in the last week of Septemember. Regards. DR

woodyspedden

I live only 60 miles from Grand Lake and find it one of the most beautiful spots in Colorado.

Although the image is a bit dark, the contrast in typical Colorado light (No clouds, ice blue skies, and very deep shadows) require either an nd filter or HDR to render properly. That's why we Colorado Photographers wait (sometimes not patiently) for the cloudy skies.

Woody

mwalker

Subscriber Member
dr, woody,
One of the things about that area is the pine beetle has devistated the trees. I would guess 80% of all the trees are dead.

Tim, thank you. It looks like I need to bump the midtones up a bit. One of things I have noticed is unlike the m8 the nikon files need a large tweak, has aanyone got a good begining preset in lightroom? thanks

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Mike I have been trying different settings in Lightroom . While I don t have a favorite , I like the standard 4.4 default. Part of my issue is that I still shoot mostly with the M8 and I would like the D3 files to look closer to the M8 raw conversions. Otherwise they don t aggregate well with the M8 files..for example my Spring Training collection includes M8 and D3 images. I found a preset on the LUF for getting a M8 look from a D3 file . The other area to look in are the beta presets for Lightroom...the D3 standard seems to do a good job of spreading the tones without burning the highlights or blocking the shadows. The standard beta setting seems to be a good starting point for high contrast,saturated files.

woodyspedden

dr, woody,
One of the things about that area is the pine beetle has devistated the trees. I would guess 80% of all the trees are dead.

Tim, thank you. It looks like I need to bump the midtones up a bit. One of things I have noticed is unlike the m8 the nikon files need a large tweak, has aanyone got a good begining preset in lightroom? thanks
Mike

The Spruce Beetle has indeed wreaked havoc on our trees. And it will take over 100 years for the infestation to die out and new trees to gain real ground. Or other varieties may spring up in the place of the spruce and take over the landscape. A sad event but one that happens in the greater time of the creator fairly often. Let's hope that what takes over is as beautiful as the spruce were.

Woody

mwalker

Subscriber Member
Mike

The Spruce Beetle has indeed wreaked havoc on our trees. And it will take over 100 years for the infestation to die out and new trees to gain real ground. Or other varieties may spring up in the place of the spruce and take over the landscape. A sad event but one that happens in the greater time of the creator fairly often. Let's hope that what takes over is as beautiful as the spruce were.

Woody
Even with the travesty of the trees , its still heaven on earth........