The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the V1

Lonnie Utah

With the la-ea2 you have AF with all Alpha lenses on the NEX series.
Alpha lenses will AF. There is no image stabilization with the Alpha Lens plus NEX body combination.
I think finally it all comes down to how fast the AF really is in combination with the adapter. I have no practical experience so far for the V1 with adapter, but I do hope it is reasonably faster than m43 with 43 lenses mounted via an adapter - which REALLY sucks!
In this case, NEX with the LA-EA2 should easily beat all combinations for autofocus speed. It's basically Sony's translucent mirror and phase detect AF unit found in the A35/A55/A65/A77 cameras engineered to fit the NEX system. All other mirrorless offerings rely on at least some degree of Contrast Detect AF when using adapters to AF.

Pretty fast...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jagPH5axzDs

IS is a totally different discussion. However with the superior high ISO capability of the NEX cameras you can easily get a couple/three extra stops out of the NEX cameras that you can't get with the 1 and 4/3 cams, so it's kind of a wash...

bcaslis

It would be nice if this thread was a discussion about the V1 and it's pictures instead of a discussion about how awesome the NEX is.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>It would be nice if this thread was a discussion about the V1 and it's pictures instead of a discussion about how awesome the NEX is.

Pictures are welcome too :)

PS: On the other side the V1 has to be seen in the context of the NEX-5N/7 and the m43 cameras. The V1 is not a 5N in terms of detail but holds up very well and is a lot of fun to use (I own 5N and V1, we always have both with us).

retow

I would be interested to learn from Uwe or Terry how the IQ of the V1 compares to the X10. I believe the two own both. I'm quite happy with the V1 as a second system and think its IQ is at the level of the 12 MP mft sensor Olympus still uses. I had the EP3 and sold it for the V1.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>IQ of the V1 compares to the X10

I think the V1 is better. But even if they would be the same I would use the V1 for handling and much larger tele range.

jonoslack

Lovely rough weather pictures Uwe - especially the first one with the headland.

It's obviously an interesting camera - I'd love to play . . . . but!

ustein

Contributing Editor

Colors are quite real.

PS: V1 cannot focus on clouds and slow on low light (a known).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Lovely rough weather pictures Uwe - especially the first one with the headland.

It's obviously an interesting camera - I'd love to play . . . . but!
Jono,

you would get back into the color dilemma of Nikon which you do not like :D

Honestly, I would try it, I am SOOOO happy with mine.

BTW - I figured that the latest Nikon cameras as the V1, but also the D7000 have significantly different colors than the ones coming out from D700, D3 etc.

I really prefer the new rendering!

Terry

Funny to my eye the color rendering is similar to My D700. I actually want to shoot the color checker and make a new profile. I saw a whole series of pics in evening light that would drive Jono bonkers as they had exactly the same yellow "problems" he hated so much. I will find the link.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Funny to my eye the color rendering is similar to My D700. I actually want to shoot the color checker and make a new profile. I saw a whole series of pics in evening light that would drive Jono bonkers as they had exactly the same yellow "problems" he hated so much. I will find the link.
To me the colors look a bit cooler - not so yellow - as from previous Nikons. This in combination with LR3.5, which maybe also makes a difference.

The link would be fine ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I see!

But have to say I like these warm colors. Reminds me a bit on Leica colors. So obviously a matter of taste ;)

Anyway it seems difficult to make real statements about how the V1 performs color wise WRT D700 or D3, but I still have the feeling that it is rendering a bit cooler.

Finally, I would not care so much about OOC colors, as you can adjust those especially if you shoot RAW in any direction you want. And with C1 Pro even automatically during import. So why care?

RichA

Well a V1 happened to magically show up at my apartment as well. A few thoughts. Once again it will take me a while to think backwards when attaching/detaching lenses.

First very quick impressions
1)Kit lens seems to focus closer than some of my others (Sony/Panny/Oly)
2)The viewfinder is much "cleaner" in low light. Not sure if it is the fast readout or what but definitely better than m4/3 and NEX. Had all three side by side.

Nothing to post...it is dark out.
That is an issue with the m4/3rds. The increasing graininess of the view finder makes it harder to focus manually in lower light, but despite that, the "gain" of the viewfinder still makes it better in low light than any optical viewfinder.

tjv

Picked up the V1 and 10mm today. Loving it so far. Seems to be very good at white balance and the files don't need much adjustment in LR to look good - certainly less than my D700 did. I can't seem to post pics. Something to do with my quota being taken up?