The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the V1

M

momo9394

I'm new to this forum and was just looking around when I found this thread. Love the water shots. I typically shoot an M9-P\35 Chron combo but recently purchased a V1 and EP3 for tooling around. Returned the EP3; the V1 is simply a better performing camera. Nikon has done a nice job with this camera. Hopefully they will come out with a few fast primes as well...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I'm new to this forum and was just looking around when I found this thread. Love the water shots. I typically shoot an M9-P\35 Chron combo but recently purchased a V1 and EP3 for tooling around. Returned the EP3; the V1 is simply a better performing camera. Nikon has done a nice job with this camera. Hopefully they will come out with a few fast primes as well...
I shot the EP2 over the last 2 years and the EP3 as it hit the market. I was at the time when the EP2 became available (2 years ago) very happy with that camera. I found the EP3 despite all the hype about its "fastest AF" etc absolutely not overwhelming.

When I tried the V1 3 months ago I immediately liked this camera (system), returned all my m43 gear and am a very happy V1 user since then.

Great camera indeed!

retow

Same here, had the EP3 and after I got the V1 sold the Olympus. I miss the excellent Olympus 12mm and 45mm prime lenses, though. An EP4 with integrated EVF and state of the art 16MP sensor could win me back to mft.

tjv

It's not all roses, though. Right? After a few weeks using the V1 I very much like the image quality but there are a few things I really wish were different. For example:

1: Wish I could assign minimum shutter speeds in auto and P modes. Why does the camera insist on shooting at, for example, 1/20th at ISO 400 and f2.8, even when I've specified my max ISO as 3200?

2: The mode dial is stupidly easy to knock and change accidentally.

3: I wish the F button could be user assigned for quick access to more frequently altered options.

I got the V1 to use as a larger sensor point and shoot and as such will probably never use it in manual modes – if I wanted a small camera to shoot manually I'd just use a Leica.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great little camera. These are just the things I wish got more attention from Nikon when on the design table.

G

Gardenerbob

2: The mode dial is stupidly easy to knock and change accidentally.

I have to agree, that mode dial needs some more tightening down or what.:mad:

Hopefully, a firmeware update can address the others....:D
Bob

Terry

I've been out shooting with it today. Whenever I pick it up it seems the mode dial has moved. The good news is I shoot only RAW and a bunch of the modes don't work in RAW so I know it has moved. But yes, that dial Is a bit of a fail.

Terry

First real outing with the V1 and I found one thing even more irritating than the mode dial. That is having to hit OK after dialing in exposure compensation. I kept wondering why my setting wasn't holding. Duh because I wasn't really ever setting it. So, some of these have some blown highlights.

This was my first outing with the FT-1 and 70-200.

There were two of these dogs that were part great dane. They were huge and were actually service dogs.

I had never seen the Monarchs in Pacific Grove before

Crap no exp comp!

100% crop (shot at 200mm - effective 540mm)

raist3d

First real outing with the V1 and I found one thing even more irritating than the mode dial. That is having to hit OK after dialing in exposure compensation. I kept wondering why my setting wasn't holding. Duh because I wasn't really ever setting it. So, some of these have some blown highlights.

This was my first outing with the FT-1 and 70-200.
"Crap no exp comp!" - that's what this bird is saying:

- Raist

tjv

Yes, I've noticed the annoying "must press ok" menu... Not very Nikon to over look that, is it?

Terry

A few more in my practice with the 70-200 on the V1

crop

Kind of reminded me of a penguin walking

Terry

2nd to last shot is my favorite. Quite different from the typical bird shot.

- Raist
Yes,
I like that one as well. The others are really me getting comfortable handholding that lens at that focal length and getting sharp images. Yes, everything was handheld. I had very fast shutter speeds but it is big to work with. Nice setup to get me a very fast long lens setup for when I need it. For day to day shooting in regular situations the 30-110 is teeny and meaningfully smaller than any m4/3 covering that range.

retow

A few more in my practice with the 70-200 on the V1

crop

Kind of reminded me of a penguin walking

Great shots and the file quality looks amazing considering the small sensor. How would you compare shooting the V1 with the fast zoom versus the mft set up you were using for the safari.

Terry

Retow - It is definitely heavier and bigger. So far I've been in really good light which wasn't always the case when I was on Safari. However, I have two stops to spare with the V1 and 70-200 because all of these shots would have been at f5.6 on m4/3 instead of f2.8 here. I think the VR II on the Nikon is better than the OIS on the Panasonic.

If I want to give up one of the stops - I can add a teleconverter - effectively I could do this with the GH2 and ETC mode by dropping the resolution.

The V1 shoots faster and has a much deeper RAW buffer but there are some annoyances that need a firmware update.....like not being able to turn off image review.

So, there is no pound the table definitive answer yet.

Terry

Haha Joe -
And that was straight out of the camera with no sharpening added. Think about what a little PP can do.

Seriously if you still have your Nikon gear and want longer reach than your 70-200 a V1 is a very interesting addition....and you can go really long if you have a teleconverter.