The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the V1

Haha Joe -
And that was straight out of the camera with no sharpening added. Think about what a little PP can do.

Seriously if you still have your Nikon gear and want longer reach than your 70-200 a V1 is a very interesting addition....and you can go really long if you have a teleconverter.
Terry I have the 70-200 and the 300 f4 - even without a TC, the 300 would give me 810mm @ f4 - not bad! I also have all three Nikon TCs - 1.4, 1.7, and 2.0 so could really go long :D

Terry

Well, it is at least worth borrowing a V1 and heading out for a morning at your local bird haunts.

jonoslack

Excellent stuff Terry - it certainly works well with the 70-200 . . . these new cameras surprise us at every turn (at least, they surprise me at every turn!).

ustein

Contributing Editor
All three photos from an evening walk. For photographing the cat high speed shooting was very helpful.

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
We have most evening a short walk. The Nikon V1 is nearly ideal to carry with me (next to the iPhone). The 2 previous photos were from last nights walk. These ones too:

jsnack

I had the V1 for about a week but sent it back. There's just nothing about it that makes it a better fit for me than m4/3s models.

But, a nice camera nevertheless.

markowich

I shot the EP2 over the last 2 years and the EP3 as it hit the market. I was at the time when the EP2 became available (2 years ago) very happy with that camera. I found the EP3 despite all the hype about its "fastest AF" etc absolutely not overwhelming.

When I tried the V1 3 months ago I immediately liked this camera (system), returned all my m43 gear and am a very happy V1 user since then.

Great camera indeed!
i bought a V1 when it came out and while i do like some aspects of it (AF etc) i am a bit concerned about IQ. i see quite a lot of noise in grey image areas at base iso. well, i have no experience with small sensor cameras but still, this leaves my somewhat concerned.
your take? maybe in comparism to micro 43?
peter

ptomsu

Workshop Member
i bought a V1 when it came out and while i do like some aspects of it (AF etc) i am a bit concerned about IQ. i see quite a lot of noise in grey image areas at base iso. well, i have no experience with small sensor cameras but still, this leaves my somewhat concerned.
your take? maybe in comparism to micro 43?
peter
Peter,

the m43 cameras I had from Olympus (EP2 and EP3) were both not really better WRT noise than the V1.

The GH2 I also shot for a while had a much better noise performance although it uses a 18MP sensor. I assume that the new OMD, which uses a 16MP sensor (similar to GX1 and G3) should also do better, but still has to prove.

What I like about the V1 is the overall ease of handling (for me) and that the lenses are pretty small. Especially the 30-110 is a real marvel.

What I did NOT like from m43 was the plastic finish of the kit lenses, especially with the EP3. Maybe this improves again when the OMD and kit zoom and other "high end" m43 glass hits the market. Anyway that system will end up much bigger than the 1 system from Nikon.

markowich

peter,
right, photography with the V1 is a lot of fun.
have you printed (if yes, what size&iso)?
peter

Peter,

the m43 cameras I had from Olympus (EP2 and EP3) were both not really better WRT noise than the V1.

The GH2 I also shot for a while had a much better noise performance although it uses a 18MP sensor. I assume that the new OMD, which uses a 16MP sensor (similar to GX1 and G3) should also do better, but still has to prove.

What I like about the V1 is the overall ease of handling (for me) and that the lenses are pretty small. Especially the 30-110 is a real marvel.

What I did NOT like from m43 was the plastic finish of the kit lenses, especially with the EP3. Maybe this improves again when the OMD and kit zoom and other "high end" m43 glass hits the market. Anyway that system will end up much bigger than the 1 system from Nikon.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
peter,
right, photography with the V1 is a lot of fun.
have you printed (if yes, what size&iso)?
peter
Printed yes, but only small like 10x15cm or similar. This of course was ok.

But I assume (judging from what I can see on my Eizo screen, that it should nicely go up to A3.

Terry

Playing around with some heavy processing. Need to use better selection tools in Photoshop. This was done in LR4

Last edited:

Swissblad

Agree - especially with the FT1 - the 2.7x crop factor is a real boon for bird photographers

Life at 1000mm....

Last edited: