The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D4

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

$6K = OUCH

yeah

D3s was 5200 USD at its introduction two years ago
and prices for electronics are supposed to fall, aren't they
like with computers and laser printers etc. ...

oh well, I guess this extreme machine is specifically aimed at professionals who need the speed at any price

it will be interesting to see the price of the D800
I guess that price will reveal whether the D800 is actually meant to be the D700 successor or if it is a totally new high-end landscape and studio lighting product segment
and in that case what will be the next entrance ticket to 'full frame' for Nikon enthusiasts, a "D700s" - or a Canon - or a Sony ...

watch your back, Nikon, stay competitive :lecture:

V

Vivek

Carlos and Steen: You guys are no fun. :rolleyes:

A nikonite site says:

JOIN IN THE EXCITEMENT OF THE NEW NIKON D4!

:ROTFL:

Steen, Nikon are taking luddite technology to new heights. The D4 is not an electronic camera. It still is a hybrid and sports an old pentaprism optical finder.

The price is comparable to a Leica M9. Their fast primes are a real bargain compared to the Leica primes as well.;)

D&A

I have mixed feelings and am a bit underwhelmed about this one, but that may be partially due to my own personal needs, not the actual capability nor features of the D4 in particular. I've always been enthusiastic (and used) all the Pro D series from the original D1 onward (some had their issues) but each full new model made substantial jumps in both still image capabilities and image quality. Without of course having yet used the D4, my initial reaction is that it's a ultimate pro sports and PJ camera (partly due to the demands of both wireless capability and/or advanced video)....but for those who use this series of cameras strictly for "stills" yet need the capabilities of a pro oriented body, I'm not sure at it's price point it would be much favored over a D3 or D700 or even a well priced D3s.

Something tells me if the D800 is a high MP landscape type camera, especially at a possible price point of $4000, they will need as Steen and others have suggested, a full frame D700s type camera (when the D700 is officially discontinued) that is a successor/upgrade path to the current D700...and price this competitively. It may take a year or more to release all their new bodies already somewhat near production, but something tells me Nikon has already thought very carefully about their strategy regarding price points, features and capabilities of their future "full frame" line of cameras. At least I hope so!

Dave (D&A)

etrigan63

While the specs look impressive and those who have gotten their mitts on one are raving about it, the $6K price is off-putting for me and I could really benefit from this camera shooting ballet. The D800's rumored specs make it a no-go for me as well. Depending on what Sony does with the A99, I may jump ship with the A77 if the G glass is up to snuff.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
it's about big and bright optical viewfinders

(...) Steen, Nikon are taking luddite technology to new heights. The D4 is not an electronic camera. It still is a hybrid and sports an old pentaprism optical finder. (...)

Yes, Vivek, and I do believe you are right that pentaprism optical finders may very well disappear even from new full frame 35mm camera generations within few years.

I just personally happen to like big and bright optical viewfinders and this new 2012 generation of DSLRs may be my last chance to buy a new real 35mm full frame DSLR.

It's a free world and you need not to share my fascination with old-fashioned optical viewfinders, but here's at least an attempt to illustrate my fascination :)

click for natural size of this crop

captured with Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 1/2 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

click for natural size

captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/20 sec at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

V

Vivek

Very nice, Steen.

I still have a DW-2 boxed up along with a nice F2. Totally different era. ;)

BTW, FWIW, here is how Nikon's announcement starts:

The new Nikon D4 digital SLR builds upon the legacy of the proven Nikon flagship D-SLRs before it, engineered to give today’s professional multimedia photographers a new apex of speed and accuracy with unparalleled image quality, low-light capability and Full HD video.

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's a DSLR survival kit, Nikon style. Big, heavy and with the kitchen sink built in. If I could afford it, I would buy it, but I can't. Very far from it. I picked up my D2Xs today. I'm surprised how superior it is to my D300 when it comes to ergonomics and functionality. There are many photographers who will demand this kind of combination of imaging device and sledgehammer for years still, just like there are photographers buying Leicas. And if it costs 5 or 6,000 dollars, who cares really? If one doesn't make serious money from photography (or is loaded with dollars), this isn't the right camera anyway.

My D2Xs was more expensive when new btw. The price tag was still on the box, 5.5 times the price I paid in mint condition. Maybe I'll be able to buy a D4 in 5-6 years :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Impressive camera, but actually I am looking for the D700 replacement (D800 ????) and more MP. I definitely do not need more than ISO 50000 or something around :) but rather a smaller form factor!

Lars

Disclaimer: I don't know if these are genuine or not!

D4 and 85/1.8 combo shots:

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon/Nikon-D4Nikkor-8518-af-s/20915871_LhHTdj#1661291650_VdDqgDb
The sequence on the soda bottle includes ISO up to 200K. ISO 50K looks pretty good, which in itself is pretty amazing. Not sure if it's better than D3s though.

Also worth noting is that Nikon now finally has an affordable 85 with a bokeh that doesnt look like a horse's ***. The 85/1.8D was so bad it still gives me the creeps.