The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D4

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If I were buying back in to Nikon right now it would be a tough call between the D3s and the D4. I really think that Nikon have got a lot right with this camera and I'm happy that they haven't gone megapixel mad. The workflow improvements across the board with this thing are very impressive. As a go anywhere, shoot in any condition, under any light, super flexible platform it seems like a winner to me. (I readily confess to being a Nikonian / FanBoy).

However, if D3s's start hitting the boards at realistic $4k prices I'd be hard pushed to go the extra to the D4 because the D3s is still an amazing camera, as are it's D3 and D700 peers. Yet again it's another great time to be shooting Nikon.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
If I were buying back in to Nikon right now it would be a tough call between the D3s and the D4. I really think that Nikon have got a lot right with this camera and I'm happy that they haven't gone megapixel mad. The workflow improvements across the board with this thing are very impressive. As a go anywhere, shoot in any condition, under any light, super flexible platform it seems like a winner to me. (I readily confess to being a Nikonian / FanBoy).

However, if D3s's start hitting the boards at realistic $4k prices I'd be hard pushed to go the extra to the D4 because the D3s is still an amazing camera, as are it's D3 and D700 peers. Yet again it's another great time to be shooting Nikon.
+1

plus more - waiting for the D800

kuau

Workshop Member
if I was still shooting sports, i.e skiing and bobsled at night under artificial light I would for sure go for the new D4 in a second for the better AF performance, even if its just a little better then the D3s I use to own and shot with last year.
Though if I was a mostly daylight sport shooter, then I may stick with the D3s, only of course if I needed video then again the D4 would be for me

S

sjms56

been there and done that. waiting for finalized version this month.

on the D3s, i never got going with it. for the times i used one i felt my D3 would have done the job as well. it always felt like an interim build product or beta build. the D4 is the finalized version. the only thing that sorta bothers me is the dual different slots. but it is a forward step rather then canons previous approach sideways of CF/SD. now that was not a good option in my opinion and i had one of those.

Last edited:

D&A

In working with the D3 and D3s side by side for demanding low light work, the D3s was a exactly what a "s" version of a Nikon body was supposed to be...a refinement of it's predecessor, not a major revamp of the body and it's performance. The higher ISO performance for specific applications was clearly evident and often an advantage, as was the tonality of the file for studio work. For general use, both cameras were close in many respects. The D3 & D3s are superb cameras but like all things, a complete model revamp was eventually due. I too am not 100% thrilled with the choice of dual card slots on the D4 but guess time will tell if it was the right decision.

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
two different card formats in the same camera ?

Can anyone figure out why the manufacturers implement two different card formats at all in the same camera :confused:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Re: two different card formats in the same camera ?

Can anyone figure out why the manufacturers implement two different card formats at all in the same camera :confused:
I always thought CF + SD made sense, since it would enable me to use SD cards if needed. I often carry a GH1 together with my Nikon cameras, which means I have the SD cards available if I should run out of CF.

CF + XQD makes sense simply because many photographers have piles of CF cards that they want to use, while long term, they will change to XQD. Many will probably use the D4 together with another, older camera, and having the possibility of using cards across cameras... see above.

On the other hand, should I want to buy a D4, I would probably have to sell all my other cameras and all the old cards, so no, it wouldn't make sense for me anyway (yes, I have considered the option :confused: ).

Lee Love

I find it interesting that people trash any camera just because its not a fit for the style of shooting they need. This is why companies make multiple models with different features.

The D4 is a home run for Nikon and they will sell everyone they can build. It doesn't take but a few brain cells to see the target market for this camera. That doesn't mean it won't be purchased by wedding photographers or used for other applications but that is not its intended audience.

As far as $5999, that's cheap depending on the comparison. A D3s is $5200, a Leica M9-P is $8000 and a Canon 1Ds III is $7000. Now if you take into account the D4 as a product that will be purchased by the video market it gets even more interesting.

A Panasonic AF-100 is $5000, the Sony FS-100 is $5700, etc. etc.

The point of course is price all depends on what you are comparing it too and as a professional how it will impact your business.

Just a piece of anecdotal information, orders for the D4 have already exceeded those of the D3 when it announced.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Re: two different card formats in the same camera ?

I always thought CF + SD made sense, since it would enable me to use SD cards if needed. I often carry a GH1 together with my Nikon cameras, which means I have the SD cards available if I should run out of CF.

CF + XQD makes sense simply because many photographers have piles of CF cards that they want to use, while long term, they will change to XQD. Many will probably use the D4 together with another, older camera, and having the possibility of using cards across cameras... see above. (...)

Yeah, I guess that may be the reason, though in my opinion it seems a bit silly to incorporate an old format card slot just because a lot of us have a number of old format cards.

I mean if a card format is old and replaced by a new one, it is old and replaced.

Just my 0.02