-------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D4

$6K = OUCH
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The wireless capabilities look great. Fully built in. See top video

http://nikonrumors.com/2012/01/06/ni...nRumors.com%29

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D4

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post

$6K = OUCH

yeah

D3s was 5200 USD at its introduction two years ago
    and prices for electronics are supposed to fall, aren't they
    like with computers and laser printers etc. ...

oh well, I guess this extreme machine is specifically aimed at professionals who need the speed at any price

it will be interesting to see the price of the D800
    I guess that price will reveal whether the D800 is actually meant to be the D700 successor or if it is a totally new high-end landscape and studio lighting product segment
    and in that case what will be the next entrance ticket to 'full frame' for Nikon enthusiasts, a "D700s" - or a Canon - or a Sony ...

watch your back, Nikon, stay competitive

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Carlos and Steen: You guys are no fun.

A nikonite site says:

JOIN IN THE EXCITEMENT OF THE NEW NIKON D4!

Steen, Nikon are taking luddite technology to new heights. The D4 is not an electronic camera. It still is a hybrid and sports an old pentaprism optical finder.

The price is comparable to a Leica M9. Their fast primes are a real bargain compared to the Leica primes as well.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I have mixed feelings and am a bit underwhelmed about this one, but that may be partially due to my own personal needs, not the actual capability nor features of the D4 in particular. I've always been enthusiastic (and used) all the Pro D series from the original D1 onward (some had their issues) but each full new model made substantial jumps in both still image capabilities and image quality. Without of course having yet used the D4, my initial reaction is that it's a ultimate pro sports and PJ camera (partly due to the demands of both wireless capability and/or advanced video)....but for those who use this series of cameras strictly for "stills" yet need the capabilities of a pro oriented body, I'm not sure at it's price point it would be much favored over a D3 or D700 or even a well priced D3s.

Something tells me if the D800 is a high MP landscape type camera, especially at a possible price point of $4000, they will need as Steen and others have suggested, a full frame D700s type camera (when the D700 is officially discontinued) that is a successor/upgrade path to the current D700...and price this competitively. It may take a year or more to release all their new bodies already somewhat near production, but something tells me Nikon has already thought very carefully about their strategy regarding price points, features and capabilities of their future "full frame" line of cameras. At least I hope so!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

While the specs look impressive and those who have gotten their mitts on one are raving about it, the $6K price is off-putting for me and I could really benefit from this camera shooting ballet. The D800's rumored specs make it a no-go for me as well. Depending on what Sony does with the A99, I may jump ship with the A77 if the G glass is up to snuff.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here come all the used D3 cameras.
    Brad Husick

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Brad, if you run across a pristine, low mileage D3S for cheap, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it's about big and bright optical viewfinders

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

(...) Steen, Nikon are taking luddite technology to new heights. The D4 is not an electronic camera. It still is a hybrid and sports an old pentaprism optical finder. (...)

Yes, Vivek, and I do believe you are right that pentaprism optical finders may very well disappear even from new full frame 35mm camera generations within few years.

I just personally happen to like big and bright optical viewfinders and this new 2012 generation of DSLRs may be my last chance to buy a new real 35mm full frame DSLR.

It's a free world and you need not to share my fascination with old-fashioned optical viewfinders, but here's at least an attempt to illustrate my fascination

click for natural size of this crop

captured with Nikon D300 • Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM at 10mm • 1/2 sec. at f/8 ISO 200 • Capture NX

click for natural size

captured with Nikon D300 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/20 sec at f/5.6 ISO 200 • Capture NX

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very nice, Steen.

I still have a DW-2 boxed up along with a nice F2. Totally different era.

BTW, FWIW, here is how Nikon's announcement starts:

The new Nikon D4 digital SLR builds upon the legacy of the proven Nikon flagship D-SLRs before it, engineered to give today’s professional multimedia photographers a new apex of speed and accuracy with unparalleled image quality, low-light capability and Full HD video.
    Last edited by Vivek; 6th January 2012 at 08:59.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's a DSLR survival kit, Nikon style. Big, heavy and with the kitchen sink built in. If I could afford it, I would buy it, but I can't. Very far from it. I picked up my D2Xs today. I'm surprised how superior it is to my D300 when it comes to ergonomics and functionality. There are many photographers who will demand this kind of combination of imaging device and sledgehammer for years still, just like there are photographers buying Leicas. And if it costs 5 or 6,000 dollars, who cares really? If one doesn't make serious money from photography (or is loaded with dollars), this isn't the right camera anyway.

My D2Xs was more expensive when new btw. The price tag was still on the box, 5.5 times the price I paid in mint condition. Maybe I'll be able to buy a D4 in 5-6 years

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    Brad, if you run across a pristine, low mileage D3S for cheap, let me know.
    fredmiranda is the place for nikon and canon gear sales
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

Impressive camera, but actually I am looking for the D700 replacement (D800 ????) and more MP. I definitely do not need more than ISO 50000 or something around but rather a smaller form factor!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bradhusick View Post
    Here come all the used D3 cameras.
    That's good for some, since the D4 preliminary images appear visibly noisier than the D3s's.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RichA View Post
    That's good for some, since the D4 preliminary images appear visibly noisier than the D3s's.
    Can you give the link that shows the comparison? I would be very interested in seeing that.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Disclaimer: I don't know if these are genuine or not!

D4 and 85/1.8 combo shots:

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...291650_VdDqgDb

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't know if these are genuine or not!

D4 and 85/1.8 combo shots:

http://www.bezergheanu.com/TestNikon...291650_VdDqgDb
    The sequence on the soda bottle includes ISO up to 200K. ISO 50K looks pretty good, which in itself is pretty amazing. Not sure if it's better than D3s though.

Also worth noting is that Nikon now finally has an affordable 85 with a bokeh that doesnt look like a horse's ***. The 85/1.8D was so bad it still gives me the creeps.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Only two things would be enough to buy this camera when you need it:

Fast Ethernet and Full HDMI direct uncompressed 24 Mbps output.

http://3.s.img-dpreview.com/files/ar...070.jpg?v=1295

Additionally for industry customers: 400 000 shutter cycles

For Nikon people who do a lot of shooting, fashion, sports, technical usage this will be _the_ machine.

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post
    ISO 50K looks pretty good, which in itself is pretty amazing.
    My F6 is loaded with Pan F Plus 50. That looks pretty amazing too, but I guess it's another kind of 50

Post Thanks / Like

ordered it with NPS early pro. will see....

Post Thanks / Like

The video from this camera maybe very impressive.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D4 720p 60

yeah, take a look at this, Uwe

http://vimeo.com/34666308?12121099

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I were buying back in to Nikon right now it would be a tough call between the D3s and the D4. I really think that Nikon have got a lot right with this camera and I'm happy that they haven't gone megapixel mad. The workflow improvements across the board with this thing are very impressive. As a go anywhere, shoot in any condition, under any light, super flexible platform it seems like a winner to me. (I readily confess to being a Nikonian / FanBoy).

However, if D3s's start hitting the boards at realistic $4k prices I'd be hard pushed to go the extra to the D4 because the D3s is still an amazing camera, as are it's D3 and D700 peers. Yet again it's another great time to be shooting Nikon.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    If I were buying back in to Nikon right now it would be a tough call between the D3s and the D4. I really think that Nikon have got a lot right with this camera and I'm happy that they haven't gone megapixel mad. The workflow improvements across the board with this thing are very impressive. As a go anywhere, shoot in any condition, under any light, super flexible platform it seems like a winner to me. (I readily confess to being a Nikonian / FanBoy).

However, if D3s's start hitting the boards at realistic $4k prices I'd be hard pushed to go the extra to the D4 because the D3s is still an amazing camera, as are it's D3 and D700 peers. Yet again it's another great time to be shooting Nikon.
    +1

plus more - waiting for the D800

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D4 - first impressions

D4, first impressions and thoughts, by John Caz on Nikon Glass

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if I was still shooting sports, i.e skiing and bobsled at night under artificial light I would for sure go for the new D4 in a second for the better AF performance, even if its just a little better then the D3s I use to own and shot with last year.
    Though if I was a mostly daylight sport shooter, then I may stick with the D3s, only of course if I needed video then again the D4 would be for me
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tried the preproduction version D4 - very impressed with this beast.

sjms56

been there and done that. waiting for finalized version this month.

on the D3s, i never got going with it. for the times i used one i felt my D3 would have done the job as well. it always felt like an interim build product or beta build. the D4 is the finalized version. the only thing that sorta bothers me is the dual different slots. but it is a forward step rather then canons previous approach sideways of CF/SD. now that was not a good option in my opinion and i had one of those.
    Last edited by sjms56; 31st January 2012 at 06:33. Reason: spelling

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

In working with the D3 and D3s side by side for demanding low light work, the D3s was a exactly what a "s" version of a Nikon body was supposed to be...a refinement of it's predecessor, not a major revamp of the body and it's performance. The higher ISO performance for specific applications was clearly evident and often an advantage, as was the tonality of the file for studio work. For general use, both cameras were close in many respects. The D3 & D3s are superb cameras but like all things, a complete model revamp was eventually due. I too am not 100% thrilled with the choice of dual card slots on the D4 but guess time will tell if it was the right decision.

Dave (D&A)

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

two different card formats in the same camera ?

Can anyone figure out why the manufacturers implement two different card formats at all in the same camera

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: two different card formats in the same camera ?

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Can anyone figure out why the manufacturers implement two different card formats at all in the same camera
    I always thought CF + SD made sense, since it would enable me to use SD cards if needed. I often carry a GH1 together with my Nikon cameras, which means I have the SD cards available if I should run out of CF.

CF + XQD makes sense simply because many photographers have piles of CF cards that they want to use, while long term, they will change to XQD. Many will probably use the D4 together with another, older camera, and having the possibility of using cards across cameras... see above.

On the other hand, should I want to buy a D4, I would probably have to sell all my other cameras and all the old cards, so no, it wouldn't make sense for me anyway (yes, I have considered the option ).

Post Thanks / Like

I find it interesting that people trash any camera just because its not a fit for the style of shooting they need. This is why companies make multiple models with different features.

The D4 is a home run for Nikon and they will sell everyone they can build. It doesn't take but a few brain cells to see the target market for this camera. That doesn't mean it won't be purchased by wedding photographers or used for other applications but that is not its intended audience.

As far as $5999, that's cheap depending on the comparison. A D3s is $5200, a Leica M9-P is $8000 and a Canon 1Ds III is $7000. Now if you take into account the D4 as a product that will be purchased by the video market it gets even more interesting.

A Panasonic AF-100 is $5000, the Sony FS-100 is $5700, etc. etc.

The point of course is price all depends on what you are comparing it too and as a professional how it will impact your business.

Just a piece of anecdotal information, orders for the D4 have already exceeded those of the D3 when it announced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: two different card formats in the same camera ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post

I always thought CF + SD made sense, since it would enable me to use SD cards if needed. I often carry a GH1 together with my Nikon cameras, which means I have the SD cards available if I should run out of CF.

CF + XQD makes sense simply because many photographers have piles of CF cards that they want to use, while long term, they will change to XQD. Many will probably use the D4 together with another, older camera, and having the possibility of using cards across cameras... see above. (...)

Yeah, I guess that may be the reason, though in my opinion it seems a bit silly to incorporate an old format card slot just because a lot of us have a number of old format cards.

I mean if a card format is old and replaced by a new one, it is old and replaced.

Just my 0.02

Post Thanks / Like

ordered 2 now, hope they show up soon. gotta dump my well used D3 bodies soon--they sure earned their keep.