The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800

Steve Fines

Good stuff.

Besides the things mentioned I'm glad to see the Eye-fi support, a 16mp dx mode with 5fps for action shots (wasn't too long ago that 16mp was an $8K landscape camera), ability to start/stop video with a pocket wizard (kids's performances).

After 2 years with the M9 I consider the moire to be a non-issue for what I shoot, and with the NX2 tool specifically designed with the D800e in mind I expect this won't be a big deal.

Ben Rubinstein

Not unless they make the 12 bit D-800 into a 16 bit camera and increase the film-gate by 2X ... the 16 bit, 40 meg MFDs will still produce tonal gradations, dynamic range and resolution-to-size ratio that 35mm DSLRs can't get to.

-Marc
Question is whether enough people care to pay the extra. The DR of the D7000 sensor which this is based on is already said to be better than MFDB's. I wonder whether the tonal graduations and look alone will be enough to pursuade people to pay such a huge difference in price and for such a huge degredation in useability anymore?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Question is whether enough people care to pay the extra. The DR of the D7000 sensor which this is based on is already said to be better than MFDB's. I wonder whether the tonal graduations and look alone will be enough to pursuade people to pay such a huge difference in price and for such a huge degredation in useability anymore?
+1

kuau

Workshop Member
I hope Nikon has "fixed" there LV MLU shooting process meaning when in LV and take a picture the mirror will no longer flop up and down.

UPDATE
I read over at Rob Gaibrath dpi

"Officially, the D800's mirror also stays up throughout the capture of a sequence of still pictures in Live View. But, for a reason we haven't yet figured out, the shutter activity and noise associated with each Live View exposure is more than the D4 when set to do the same thing."

This is a good thing !!

IMHO LV will be an absolute must for accurate focus.
I'm like Guy, I am for sure not selling my tech view camera anytime soon, though I may sell my Rollei HY6 system and pick up a D800E, and some Zeiss MF lenses
Steve

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hmm, I'd bet that Sony will deliver what we want in a FF sensor Alpha Jono ... then we get to keep using those delicious Zeiss optics rather than do a systems swap ... again.

Patience my friend, patience. :)

-Marc
Hi Marc
Thank you for a little moral support! I've actually had my first EVF disappointment up in the mountains with snow and high altitude sunshine (i.e. you couldn't really see it).

But, as you say - I'll wait until the real thing comes along!

Quentin_Bargate

"With the D800E, moiré and false color may be noticeable when there are repetitive and fine patterns on a subject such as kimono fabric. To avoid this, it is necessary to take measures, for example, changing the focusing point or shooting distance."
[Text taken form the Nikon D800/D800E website]

How do you guys feel about this? I know those who shoot medium format will probably have more experience about this, but since this is a Nikon product, I felt safer to post my related question here.

What is the advise for the landscape shooter who also shoots fashion with fabric and architecture? How to you shoot to avoid moiré and false colors?
Jono and I (amongst others) became very used to dealing with colour artifacts and such like when we both owned the now forgotten Kodak 14n cameras some years back

The 14n had a 13.5mp full frame sensor with no AA filter (mainly to save the cost of the filter). Over time you use various strategies to remove the occasional "sparkles" on fine details. I remember that distant tree branches coud cause quite a problem with the 14n.

However, critically the absence of an AA filter did aid sharpness and I preferred dealing with the false colour artifacts to loosing detail. My preferred software fix was Quantum Mechanic Pro.

Most medium format cameras have no AA filter and it is rarely an issue. It might be more of an issue for some studio photogs shooting fine fabric etc

Get the 800e

Quentin

ustein

Contributing Editor
Some of the sample D800/D800E photos used f/8. I have a strong feeling that this is already diffraction limited.

As others mentioned we need great lenses, good shooting skills and very good post processing. Add my Fine Detail Sharpen to these images and they got quite a bit better. But they also had fine halos baked into the JPEGs.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Actually a great supplement to the 1 System

Get an adapter to use your Nikon 1 lenses on it :)

Double Negative

Not Available
As a Canon shooter (who's been waiting for a "1Ds Mark IV" for YEARS), all I can say is... "Holy sh*t." I am really digging that D800E.

I know MP aren't everything, but 36MP w/o an AA filter (or rather "cancelled")? That's impressive. You'd have to shoot MF for more (not a bad thing).

Canon had better pull a helluva rabbit out of its a$$, and soon.

Lars

Not unless they make the 12 bit D-800 into a 16 bit camera and increase the film-gate by 2X ... the 16 bit, 40 meg MFDs will still produce tonal gradations, dynamic range and resolution-to-size ratio that 35mm DSLRs can't get to.

-Marc
Specs actually say 14-bit D/A converter, 16-bit processing. Perhaps you misread the 12 channels as bit depth.

Stefan Steib

If the alarm bells were not ringing before at Phase, Leaf and Blad they should be on defcon deep red now. The samples are good, really good:

http://chsv.nikon-image.com/products/camera/slr/digital/d800/img/sample01/img_06_l.jpg

the full sample page is here:
D800 / D800E -

the most important part is that the image quality will probably be still very good at 400 or 800 this actually means that this thing has surpassed an IQ180 at Sensor +...........double the file size at usable highspeed.

Anybody wants to take bets how fast the prices will fall for used 40Mpix backs ?

Regards
Stefan

Ben Rubinstein

Shush Stefan, they'll lynch you over on the MF board for saying this stuff though I happen to agree with you :D.

Oh and I'm about to order a Leaf Aptus II-8, tomorrow if they get their act together on the cheques, doesn't bother me because, a) I ain't paying b) I don't want to wait months to get this project moving c) I still think the IQ of the 8 is better than these samples by a substantial amount though lenses will be playing a big part of that d) it's a tethered studio camera that will rarely be detached from the Mayer Traveller, I don't need a dip in IQ for useability when I practically don't need any useability at all.

charlesphoto

What I'm wondering is the difference between a CCD sensor with no AA (such as my M9's or many/most of the MF backs) and a 36mp CMOS sensor without. I've had little to no problems with the M9 but the Nikon could be something else.

I kinda want one, but will wait to see more image examples between the two models and see what high iso is like. Could be a little overkill for what I do so maybe just stick to the good ol' D3 and wait a and see if they come out with D4 specs in a smaller sized body down the road.....

Quentin_Bargate

I watched the London launch video and they showed a pixel level comparison between the D800 and D800e. There was quite a difference in micro detail, with the clear advantage going to the no AA filter 800e, unsurprisingly.

It also appears the D800 uses a Sony sourced sensor which makes one wonder why Sony won't be releasing their own camera based on this sensor until early 2013.