The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800

pophoto

Hi Po,

I have been to a Nikon NPS event here in the Netherlands where the D4 and both the D800s were introduced. A couple of photos were shown with regard to the differences between the D800 and the D800E. Mind you, these photos were not printed ones, but shown via a projector.

What I noticed is:
* more depth (call it a more three dimentional look of the photo). This is quite noticeable and IMO very attractive;
* a bit more clarity;
* a bit more detail at 100%.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Remko
Thank you Remko. Yes, I think the majority are having to base their opinion from the Nikon official website samples, so your opinion is very helpful. That is if you are saying the 'E' version is more attractive :p

Stefan: My original opinion was based of this thinking model with DMF in mind. I also use C1, but I am finding LR4 to be very good.

Shashin: Yes, unfortunately these direct comparisons will come after release, from other reviewers. From samples alone, I felt either would do and choose the cheaper of the two. Remko's experience might add a bit of light!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Folks,

AA filter or not? This question is clearly answered for anyone who has shot without AA filter or at least with only weak AA filter. Once you have been through that exercise (should I call it eye opening pleasure) you will never again start asking.

So for me a camera with weak or no AA filter clearly wins. This is a NO BRAINER!!!!

And to add - I never had any issues with Moire on cameras without AA filter!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'll probably buy both in the end. But I'm sitting on a 60mpx tech cam system so I really don't need the E model and for what the D800 needs are for fashion , people and events where having the AA might be of help. Although I shot 1k frames in studio the other day of three models and many changes of cloths and no Moire but I was dealing with material that should not really cause a issue either. It's going to come to for many shooters on what's in the other bag of gear.

Now if I did not have the tech cam than E model all the way and deal with it. Thing is I hate AA filters too but it will depend on what gear you have and what subject your dealing with

Now from experience and I tested this the smaller the microns in MF the less Moire issues. This is 4.9 microns I believe and the IQ 180 is 5.2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
D800 - pixel binning ?

Quoting from top of this page # 2:

imaging.nikon.com - The D800/D800E

"There are three image sizes – large, medium, and small – and you can choose the one that suits your needs.
In FX format, the large size enables shooting with about 36.2 megapixels, while about 20.3 megapixels are used for the medium size, or maybe if you're taking snapshots you'll find you can get by with the small size, which is about 9 megapixels.
Both the medium and small settings use data from the full extent of the 36.3-megapixel sensor optimally processed to a smaller size using EXPEED 3.

Therefore, we suggest selecting medium or small for normal use and choosing large only for, say, group portraits or very high resolution landscape shots."

Data from the full extent of the 36.3-megapixel sensor optimally processed to about 9 megapixels ...
Doesn't that smell a bit like a cluster of 4 pixels combined into a single pixel, i.e. pixel binning ?

On the other hand I suppose that for marketing reasons they would have used the term pixel binning if it really was that ...

pophoto

Folks,

AA filter or not? This question is clearly answered for anyone who has shot without AA filter or at least with only weak AA filter. Once you have been through that exercise (should I call it eye opening pleasure) you will never again start asking.

So for me a camera with weak or no AA filter clearly wins. This is a NO BRAINER!!!!

And to add - I never had any issues with Moire on cameras without AA filter!
MF, and M9 certainly. I was asking because of the examples shown on the Nikon website, which to me didn't show this as 'clearly answered.' To be honest, their JPEG examples didn't show this me at all. In fact, it even crossed my mind, that this offering, based off their sample images, that I should save a few hundred because how close the image differences were if any. Remko, explained he had saw otherwise, which was 'clear' to him!

Having seen the images for myself with the M9, it was 'clearly' sharper with its lenses to other 35mm that I had. MF I have film to compare which isn't the same at all, and of course images here.

etrigan63

Antonio,

I just finished looking at them under LR4 and I have the following comments:

1. Although the shots were done with the same lens, the lighting conditions and exposure values differed between the two cameras. The shots were at two different apertures as well.

2. The targets, while mostly the same, are laid out slightly differently, which makes an apples-to-apples comparison a bit more difficult.

For example: the D800 image clearly shows a ding on the lens bezel of the Canon P&S camera. The ding is not visible on the D800E image. The lack of consistency between the two images makes it difficult to pin down the cause. However, the D800E image shows far more texture detail in the colored surface of the camera.

pophoto

Antonio,

I just finished looking at them under LR4 and I have the following comments:

1. Although the shots were done with the same lens, the lighting conditions and exposure values differed between the two cameras. The shots were at two different apertures as well.

2. The targets, while mostly the same, are laid out slightly differently, which makes an apples-to-apples comparison a bit more difficult.

For example: the D800 image clearly shows a ding on the lens bezel of the Canon P&S camera. The ding is not visible on the D800E image. The lack of consistency between the two images makes it difficult to pin down the cause. However, the D800E image shows far more texture detail in the colored surface of the camera.
I completely agree with your findings!
In fact it's very confusing to compare with these two images, and rather unpleasant subject matter even for a test for me to stare at!
I hope better tests will be posted soon from sites.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

(...) However, the D800E image shows far more texture detail in the colored surface of the camera.

Or could it be a highlight color pattern (rather than texture detail) like Antonio suggests ?

In that case it looks scary.

Strange that Nikon doesn't offer some more controlled comparisons before the first batch hits the shelves.

pophoto

It looks like both images from Antonio were from the D800, although LR does say one is from the D800E!
Here is the Polish site from which the RAWs are referenced:
Roadshow Nikon D4 I D800

*Updated* Rereading, the Polish site simply names it the D800.... is a special edition of the D800. Sorry this was coming from the Google auto translate!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Anyone know whether the D800 user manual is available on line?

I'd also like to see the user manual, e.g. whether the three image sizes - large, medium, and small - can be saved in RAW or only jpeg file format ?

Does anyone know this ?

Remko

I'd also like to see the user manual, e.g. whether the three image sizes - large, medium, and small - can be saved in RAW or only jpeg file format ?

Does anyone know this ?
Hi Steen,

The three image sizes are referring to JPEGs, not RAW. I guess you are referring to Canon's implementation of sRAW? Nikon certainly does not have that as it is no true RAW anymore.

Some time ago I read an article explaining why sRAW is a crippled RAW, not sure if I can still find it. If so, I will post a link.

cheers,
Remko

Guy Mancuso

Okay check imaging resource they have files as well. I downloaded the 800,1600 and ISO 100 ones and just for kicks I processed the ISO 100 put a touch of clarity on it and contrast than ran a sharpening action and damn its pretty darn good. ISO 1600 the noise looks pretty good in the test shadows without any work on it. Things are looking pretty nice. BTW it takes a LOT to impress me with a 60 mpx monster on a tech cam in the safe. LOL

ISO 100 with a little work on it

BTW it takes a LOT to impress me with a 60 mpx monster on a tech cam in the safe. LOL
What are some of your specific impressions, comparing it to your experience with the 60 mpx monster?

I was startled looking at the pics on this site comparing the d800 to the d3x. I expected minor differences but they were huge, especially looking at the fabric samples in the upper left. I don't know for sure if the lenses were identical.

Guy Mancuso

One is the file tends to be flat which in turn means good DR. When we have to add black to the file that is a good sign. The color palette also looks pretty neutral which is not a Nikon trait. This is very good. The primaries all look real with no bias. Noise looks good in the shadows another good DR sign. Now this is very soon in the game and I'm not a big fan of ACR but I have not seen anything bad in the files. Now how much getting beat around in a raw processor and clipping control is something we have to see plus how does it do in harsh light and very low light. So we have to see how this sensor actually preforms in real world. Studio stuff looks good so far but what happens when we push things. So still a lot a questions and answers to come.

No question I will put it up against a gold standard like the Iq 160 back and see how it measures up outside the resolution side. On the resolution side we have to see what are good sharpening setting that give a nice neutral file and look. People tend to push this area too hard. Finally we have to see how it prints at native size and larger.