Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: What Lenses for the D800?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Lenses for the D800?

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Jack,

I had the 1.4 together with the 70-200VR2 and it just rocked. I tried the 2x and it did not convince me, as so far no 2x ever convinced me. This was on my D700 and D7000. So I think it will be worse on the D800.

If one is extremely critical regarding image quality, even the incredable performing current Nikon 2x (TC-EIII) might be somewhat disappointing on the 70-200 f2.8 VRII...although for a lot of uses its remarkably decent....but put that same converter on the 300 f2.8 VR, or the bigger fast Nikon primes, and it results in astonishing performance....not far off from the 1.4x...that good! Again performance is both light quality and subject dependant (of course). I used and tested these combinations and I too am not only "not a fan" of 2x teleconverters, but try and avoid these converters unless it becomes absolutely necessary. This high level of performance with the new 2x was also confirmed by some other top pro's using Nikon long primes. Nikon's 1.7x which was leagues ahead of the older 2x (TC-EII), fell find behind performance wise once the new 2c TC-EIII was released, espcially on those longer tele primes. It too is scheduled for an update from what I hear.

It was it's predesessor, the 2x TC-EII that was simply horrible in my opinion, boardering on almost being useless for most applications.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 28th March 2012 at 05:27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hope to be reporting back in April re performance of the Hasselblad V Zeiss lenses on a D800E with the Fotodiox Pro Zeiss=>Nikon lens adapter. I will be curious to see how lenses like the Zeiss 40mm CFE IF, 100mm CFi and 120mm CFi Makro-Planar perform on the D800E.

It's a slippery slope....D2X, D700, D800E.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 27th March 2012 at 23:36.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is coming down to this generalization for me: The D800 is extremely hard on existing lenses. If you are a pixel-peeper you will likely not find any lenses that suit across all criteria; it seems that right now there is no lens that delivers what this sensor can handle, so all come with a grocery list of compromises. Moreover, it appears NONE of Nikons previous gen D-series primes under 200mm can deliver resolution to the sensor capabilities except possibly the macros.

For future discussion, I'll list the issues I have seen:

1) Sharpness/optical resolution
    2) CA
    3) Bokeh -- nervous/bad
    4) Bokeh fringing (oof CA)
    5) Distortions
    6) Curvature of field

So my base advice is to consider what characteristics you want from a specific lens/focal range, and then look for the best offerings on those -- and know you will absolutely NOT get everything in any one lens...

For example, I am going to pick at arguably the single best lens available that I have seen at present, the 85/1.4g. It is extremely sharp, has very low distortions and beautiful primary bokeh. However it also shows some slight CA and then pretty obvious bokeh fringing. Doubtful much of this would detract from a print, but the fact remains this damn sensor picks up all the nits.

My frustration mounts...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    It is coming down to this generalization for me: The D800 is extremely hard on existing lenses. If you are a pixel-peeper you will likely not find any lenses that suit across all criteria; it seems that right now there is no lens that delivers what this sensor can handle, so all come with a grocery list of compromises. Moreover, it appears NONE of Nikons previous gen D-series primes under 200mm can deliver resolution to the sensor capabilities except possibly the macros.

For future discussion, I'll list the issues I have seen:

1) Sharpness/optical resolution
    2) CA
    3) Bokeh -- nervous/bad
    4) Bokeh fringing (oof CA)
    5) Distortions
    6) Curvature of field

So my base advice is to consider what characteristics you want from a specific lens/focal range, and then look for the best offerings on those -- and know you will absolutely NOT get everything in any one lens...

For example, I am going to pick at arguably the single best lens available that I have seen at present, the 85/1.4g. It is extremely sharp, has very low distortions and beautiful primary bokeh. However it also shows some slight CA and then pretty obvious bokeh fringing. Doubtful much of this would detract from a print, but the fact remains this damn sensor picks up all the nits.

My frustration mounts...
    Good info. This pretty much sums up my initial concerns regarding incapable optics for this sensor weeks ago before the camera was introduced. I have a demo loaner coming for the weekend and it will be interesting to see how my 3 PC-E lenses perform with this sensor, but am not holding out any great hope by any stretch of the imagination.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Aside from testing my Hasselblad Zeiss V lenses, I'll be using the 105/2.8G VR Micro-Nikkor (from which I expect good results) and the 85/1.8G. I also own the 50/1.8G, but might swap that for a 50/1.4G. Now I just need something on the wide end and perhaps a mid-range telephoto.

Looking forward to testing some of the AIS Nikkors, such as the 55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor and the 300/4.5 ED-IF.

Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 28th March 2012 at 14:26.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone going to check out leica R lenses with adapters?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None of my Leica R lenses have had the Leitax-Nikon conversion done, but I since I have two Elmarit-R 135mm f2.8 lenses, maybe I'll have one of them converted. I would be curious to know how well they perform also.....but I would expect only the best Leica R lenses (and I don't have any of those) will be worth the trouble.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    None of my Leica R lenses have had the Leitax-Nikon conversion done, but I since I have two Elmarit-R 135mm f2.8 lenses, maybe I'll have one of them converted. I would be curious to know how well they perform also.....but I would expect only the best Leica R lenses (and I don't have any of those) will be worth the trouble.

Gary
    as an R lens newbie, what do you consider to be the best of the series?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

There are others here far more knowledgeable about Leica R lenses than I am.....but I'm sure the 100mm APO Macro Elmarit-R would be on that list. It's a lens which really appeals to me, but I'm going the cheap route and getting the Nikon AF-S 105/2.8G micro-Nikkor instead.

There is also a 180mm APO-Elmarit-R which would probably be very good.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually never believed that many Nikkor lenses would be up to this 36MP sensor. Having said that, I think they are rather capable of handling 36MP than even Canon L glass.

Nevertheless especially the 1.4/85G shows significant CA and OOF fringing unfortunately. All fast lenses show this, but it is far less if you take a 0.95 Noctilux on an M9 for example. Plus you can correct in Nikon Capture (question who really uses that).

Also a big amount of lens weaknesses can be corrected in LR4 via lens profiles in a very effective way. Just waiting to see Nikon add improved profiles for their top Nikkors in combination with D800.

But to expect too much of a 36MP 35-DSLR would be definitely the wrongest approach one can take. Know your gear before you use it ....

Post Thanks / Like

I just got a Nikon 105mm 2.8 micro-Nikkor and it is a fantastic lens for the D800. I am really impressed with the detail, bokeh and color. I used to use third party (e.g. Leica and Zeiss) macro lenses on my canon because I did not like the canon choices but I am just so pleased with the Nikon that I do not have to look at the zeiss or leica. I will say that I am a huge fan of the Zeiss 50mm f2 makro as a general 50mm focal length and at some point want to trade my canon for a nikon.

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    There are others here far more knowledgeable about Leica R lenses than I am.....but I'm sure the 100mm APO Macro Elmarit-R would be on that list. It's a lens which really appeals to me, but I'm going the cheap route and getting the Nikon AF-S 105/2.8G micro-Nikkor instead.

There is also a 180mm APO-Elmarit-R which would probably be very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    I just got a Nikon 105mm 2.8 micro-Nikkor and it is a fantastic lens for the D800. I am really impressed with the detail, bokeh and color. I used to use third party (e.g. Leica and Zeiss) macro lenses on my canon because I did not like the canon choices but I am just so pleased with the Nikon that I do not have to look at the zeiss or leica. I will say that I am a huge fan of the Zeiss 50mm f2 makro as a general 50mm focal length and at some point want to trade my canon for a nikon.
    The 2.8/105 Micro Nikkor VR is a superb lens. Easily outperforming any Zeiss counterpart. Not so sure about Leica APO Macro 100, but this is a different game.

Post Thanks / Like

I too love that Zeiss 50/2 MP and expect it will be the lens cap of my 800E. I am holding out hope that my beloved 105/2 DC will hold up and be my main lens in this range. I guess the nikon 105 VR will be on a short list otherwise, though the Zeiss 100/2 MP is really sweet.

BTW - For CA correction, C1 is highly recommended as a raw converter, it handles this problem extremely well. best...Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Picked up my 105/2.8 VR micro-Nikkor from the local shop yesterday. I'll be testing it out on the D700 while I wait for the D800E to arrive. It sure has an impressive "heft"! Macros have always been some of my favorite lenses, so I'm sure this one will be too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

105DC looks like a winner too -- VERY nice look and tunable, yet stopped down a few and zeroed, it is a razor sharp image.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by routlaw View Post
    Good info. This pretty much sums up my initial concerns regarding incapable optics for this sensor weeks ago before the camera was introduced. I have a demo loaner coming for the weekend and it will be interesting to see how my 3 PC-E lenses perform with this sensor, but am not holding out any great hope by any stretch of the imagination.

Rob
    I would love to hear how the PC-E lenses fare on the D800. Do share your findings when you're done
    My images on 500px : http://500px.com/ghoonk
    H4D-40 | Xpan | Leica M9P | Leica M Monochrom | X100 | Hasselblad 500CM | 501CM | 503CXi

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried out a Zeiss 35mm f2?

I would think this lens would be worthy of the D800 if any lens is...
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainjoe View Post
    Anyone tried out a Zeiss 35mm f2?

I would think this lens would be worthy of the D800 if any lens is...
    Just bought a used one which will sit all by it's lonesome self till the D800E arrives. I'll report my findings then, but this lens is exceptional and could be one of those that really delivers to this sensor. Check out Reid Reviews (worth the fee) where he tested it on a D700 and said he wished the AA filter was weaker so he could really see how the lens shines.

Post Thanks / Like

It think the 50mm/2 zeiss is a great all around lens that can do macro. I like the 100mm zeiss but I am not as impressed -- primarily background-bokeh-- transitions. There are a a lot of alternatives that are better in the 100mm range that I think are better.

Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    I too love that Zeiss 50/2 MP and expect it will be the lens cap of my 800E. I am holding out hope that my beloved 105/2 DC will hold up and be my main lens in this range. I guess the nikon 105 VR will be on a short list otherwise, though the Zeiss 100/2 MP is really sweet.

BTW - For CA correction, C1 is highly recommended as a raw converter, it handles this problem extremely well. best...Peter

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

105DC looks like a winner too -- VERY nice look and tunable, yet stopped down a few and zeroed, it is a razor sharp image.
    one if not the favorite lens on my d700.

Post Thanks / Like

It think the 50mm/2 zeiss is a great all around lens that can do macro. I like the 100mm zeiss but I am not as impressed -- primarily background-bokeh-- transitions. There are a a lot of alternatives that are better in the 100mm range that I think are better.
    I'm with you Mark. I sold my Zeiss 100 MP, preferring the 105 DC on my D3, while the 50 MP became one of my all time favorites. I'm hoping the 105DC fares as well on the D800E, and suspect it will. I prefer the transition from sharp to unsharp, the bokeh, and even the colors of the 105 DC over the Zeiss 100.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by innerimager View Post
    Anyone going to check out leica R lenses with adapters?
    Yes, I am going to try my 100mm Macro-Elmarit as soon as I get my D800E.
    Do you think any of the Leica R wide angles will work well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, after a few days of dorking around with glass, here is what I've settled on for the time being. Lenses are pretty personal, so I am not suggesting this is an ideal set for everybody, it's just a good beginning point for me and my needs with this camera. And of course, all of this is subject to change as I shoot the camera more

Next point is I have refrained from sharing images because the weather in sunny California has been anything but this past week, lots of rain and total ugly overcast skies. (Plus I've been busy with the paying gig!) Hopefully the coming week is good weather and I have some free shooting time and can get some test images up -- stay tuned.

24-120 VRii: This lens is just so versatile, I expect it to be on the camera 80% of the time.

20mm f2.8D: While the 16-35 VR is probably a better net performer at 20 than this lens is, this lens is still quite good. Plus -- and this is the important part for me -- I do not shoot wider than 24 very often at all, so carrying a larger, heavier lens that may get used 5% of the time is not very attractive. Plus there is the cost difference! The 20 is tiny, so is floating around the bottom of the bag taking up no room or weight and will be there when I do need it. Oh, and I do like the way this lens renders!

80-400 VR: I found a used one at my local camera store and its performance pleasantly surprised me, especially at the long end. The 70-200/2.8 VRii is a phenomenal lens, but when I need a tele over 120 I usually end up wanting around 300, so the 70-200 needs a converter. Now the 70-200 with a converter is probably still be a better performer than this 80-400, but this lens is a bit shorter and lighter (a lot shorter than the 70-200 with converter mounted), and covers the entire range without the need to swap the converter on and off. It does give up optical speed at the lower ranges, so the look is different, but again my main desire for this lens is the 300 range.

105DC: This is my look lens, I love the way this lens renders period. And it is a tunable look which is very cool. Plus when set to zero it is laser sharp with great bokeh. In this, it also makes up for not having the speed in the lower regions of the above zoom.

Still needed: A "look" lens in the 50 range. I am waiting on the 50/1.4G, but may end up with the Sigma 50/1.4 *OR* the Nikkor 35/1.4G. I had the Sigma on my Canon and really liked the way it rendered; Guy has the 35/1.4G and is really happy with the way it renders. The other option would be an MF Nikkor 50/1.2, but I am pretty certain I want to stick with an AF lens on this camera.
    Jack

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay I got to ask you this and I know the answer . M8 when you had it you loved the 28 cron. Which is FF 35 and you loved the 50 pre which was 65 I think. Jack since you have the 105 maybe 35 f2 which is supposed to be good although the 1.4 is a look lens have thought about the 60 macro which is really good even at infinity and maybe 650 dollars to boot. Just implant thought there. Lol

Btw folks Jack and I are always debating what lens next issue in all our systems . It's always fun to talk glass. We truly are gear slut lens whores.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Just a suggestion based on your posting "above". For whatever reason, an extremely large percentage of the 105mm DC lenses over the years (USA versions?) came directly from Nikon brand new with best sharpness at a DC setting one or two notches away from zero. It's well documented and many have opted to send them back to Nikon for "nulling" the DC control to zero or at the very least, leave their DC setting where simple testing showed best sharpness. If it's something other than zero, it's very easy and fast to test for with simple DC control bracketing on a stationary subject.

For "look" in a 50mm, I don't have to tell you about the Sigma 50mm (which you mentioned) but whether it has enough resolution when used wide or one stop down on the D800, it's hard to say.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

"still needed: A "look" lens in the 50 range. I am waiting on the 50/1.4G, but may end up with the Sigma 50/1.4 *OR* the Nikkor 35/1.4G. I had the Sigma on my Canon and really liked the way it rendered; Guy has the 35/1.4G and is really happy with the way it renders. The other option would be an MF Nikkor 50/1.2, but I am pretty certain I want to stick with an AF lens on this camera."

Jack - Let go of AF and try the Zeiss 50/2 MP, you'll be very happy ;>)
    best....Peter
    PS I concur with Dave, my 105 DC is sharpest at DC set -2.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE PS I concur with Dave, my 105 DC is sharpest at DC set -2.[/QUOTE]

Yes, correct Peter. It usually was generally -1 or -2 that was most often the setting many found where their 105DC lens would exhibit max sharpness (for those lenses that were off in their DC calibration from Nikon). Most definitely agree with your suggestion about the Zeiss 50 f2, if AF is not a requirement.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Okay I got to ask you this and I know the answer . M8 when you had it you loved the 28 cron. Which is FF 35 and you loved the 50 pre which was 65 I think. Jack since you have the 105 maybe 35 f2 which is supposed to be good although the 1.4 is a look lens have thought about the 60 macro which is really good even at infinity and maybe 650 dollars to boot. Just implant thought there. Lol

Btw folks Jack and I are always debating what lens next issue in all our systems . It's always fun to talk glass. We truly are gear slut lens whores.
    That's a damn good observation

In truth, I did love the 28 Cron, and I loved the 50 pre-Lux. But the 50 pre was always just a tad long for me. Given I have the 105DC, I will prolly end up with the 35/1.4 as my wider look lens -- I used the 28 Cron a lot more than the 50 Lux on the M. I really don't think the 35/2 will deliver the look I want, but if I could find one to try it is certainly worth looking at -- the 20 D renders nicer than I expected.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave and Inner,

Good to know about the 105DC and sharpness. I had sort of noticed that just playing around with it and decided to investigate further -- at least assuming that 2 stops to the left is minus 2 -???. However, I have it currently set to f2.8 to the right -- what I assume is plus 1 -- and really like that as my standard look for most things I am shooting with it. One thing is certain, the effect changes with focus distance too, especially at closer distances. Note number 2 is the lens back-focused on my body and needed a -7 offset to zero it on my body.
    Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I cannot vouch for "the look" (which I'm not sure if it has one), but the 60mm macro you mentioned is sharp, sharp sharp at all distances.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I meant 60 for sharp and 35 1.4 look
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Dave and Inner,

Good to know about the 105DC and sharpness. I had sort of noticed that just playing around with it and decided to investigate further -- at least assuming that 2 stops to the left is minus 2 -???. However, I have it currently set to f2.8 to the right -- what I assume is plus 1 -- and really like that as my standard look for most things I am shooting with it. One thing is certain, the effect changes with focus distance too, especially at closer distances. Note number 2 is the lens back-focused on my body and needed a -7 offset to zero it on my body.
    The 105 DC for the most part introduces spherical aberration when the DC control is rotated off it's null position, which in a properly calibrated lens would be zero. Additionally as spehrical aberation is added, there is a shift in the depth of field so that the subject focused on will shift position in the zone of focus relative to where they were positioned previously. Of course the more you stop down from wide open, the less SA is evident (and the less the effects of DC is noticeable) until the DC control has little effect if lens is stopped down enough. This explanation is of course an over-simplification of course.

What I personally would do is first determine the DC setting that gives you the the best sharpness wide open. Then I would adjust the D800's AF fine tune setting for the lens at that DC setting and finally go back and retest to confirm which DC setting is essentially "null"(zero). As you observed, some find the most attractive use of this lens is not at it's null setting but with DC slightly applied....and often along with this is an aperture setting of either wide open or slightly stopped down. Of course it's all personal preference and subject dependent,

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's a damn good observation

In truth, I did love the 28 Cron, and I loved the 50 pre-Lux. But the 50 pre was always just a tad long for me. Given I have the 105DC, I will prolly end up with the 35/1.4 as my wider look lens -- I used the 28 Cron a lot more than the 50 Lux on the M. I really don't think the 35/2 will deliver the look I want, but if I could find one to try it is certainly worth looking at -- the 20 D renders nicer than I expected.
    I'll send you my 35 bud if you want to give it a run. Heck may never get it back. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I own the 70-200mm VR I zoom. Can anybody comment on the improved VR and optical quality of the VR II version compared yo this lens?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

too bad the 60mm Macro is not VR.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I'll send you my 35 bud if you want to give it a run. Heck may never get it back. Lol
    You won't LOLOL! I may take you up on that, but I really need to wait a month before even trying it -- my CC needs some serious rest to cool off
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lol mine melted

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

On the 105DC what exactly is considered - and +?

I'm assuming rotation towards the F is - and towards R is +?

Dave do you have any links about Nikon shipping these with best sharpness at other than null? Thank you

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I own the 70-200mm VR I zoom. Can anybody comment on the improved VR and optical quality of the VR II version compared yo this lens?
    Hi Uwe,

Since I'm on my tiny cell phone at the moment, I'll only be able to provide you with the short answer at the moment. There is in my opinion a fairly significant optical difference between the 70-200 f2.8 VRI and VRII lens. Although both are notable performers, the VRII is significantly imporved at the longer end of its focal length range towards and at 200mm. This is especially so in the improved performance along the edges/sides and corners on full frame and it can be readily seen shooting most subjects that fill the entire frame. It also seems to do much better with Nikon's new 2x TC-EIII teleconverter, making that particular pair quite useful with more than aceptable performance.

As for differences in the VR effectiveness itself, I cannot speak specifically between the two versions of this lens and whether VRII is improved. I can though speak about VRI vs. VRII in both versions of Nikon's 300 f2.8 (VRI vs. VRII). Optically both lenses perform identically but found VR II provides maybe (approx) 1/2 to 3/4 stops improved performance in terms of hand holdability...although I rarely used this lens hand held. It wasn't significant enough to sell the VRI version and obtain the VRII. I found about the same difference with Nikon's 200-400 f4 VRI vs VRII. It's in the case of the 70-200 f2.8 lens, where significant optical improvements were made in my opinion.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,

thanks. Looks like it may get expensive for me :-).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shooting full frame with the 70-200 VR II is SIGNIFICANTLY sharper in the corners and also vignettes less too. The original 70-200 VR is a great lens on a cropped sensor camera but you'll very quickly notice the softness at the edges of this lens. Otherwise, everything else that Dave mentions applies.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

Any advice when to use Active VR on the 70-200mm VR I lens.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monza View Post
    On the 105DC what exactly is considered - and +?

I'm assuming rotation towards the F is - and towards R is +?

Dave do you have any links about Nikon shipping these with best sharpness at other than null? Thank you
    Hi Monza,

Nikon as far as I know hasn't made any statement about how these lenses are adjusted prior to leaving the factory, but for approx. 6 years or more, many who purchased this lens new have found "null" was not at zero as expected but instead found it (generally) at -1 or -2. Some lens samples varied even more. Although I have no statistically significant evidence, I've heard of more Nikon USA purchased units appearing this way (when new) than those purchased overseas. It wouldn't really make sense why, unless Nikon USA received these lenses in large unboxed batches from Nikon Japan and due to the nature of shipping, Nikon USA felt the delicate nature of the Defocus Control of each lens should be tweaked/adjusted prior to boxing up in Nikon USA boxes for sale and possibly something was "off" with their adjustment equipment.

For a time I though maybe Nikon Japan might have felt that since this was primarily a portrait lens, that the best "look" was when a slight bit of "SA" was introduced and this was adjusted to be "Zero" on the DC ring. Yet if I recall correctly, literature received with this lens mentioned that "zero" was where the DC in effect was off.

I believe a rear varator (spelling?) group is responsible for purposly introducing SA, which results in the soft effect seen. As mentioned previously, the depth of field will move forward or backwards relative to the subject focused on, depending how much SA is introduced. Stopping down of course eliminates residual SA. Lastly there are multiple methods people also employ when using this lens. Focus on subject first and then introduce defocus by turning DC ring + or - to a # that matches the aperture used. Others first turn the DC ring in + or - direction and to the # matching the aperture used, then focus on the subject. Actually more is going on with the turning of the DC control and the introducton of SA, and this is especially relavent as to whether the DC control ring is moved towards the "Front" or "rear" direction.

Nikon suggests one particular method for correct focusing when the DC effect is employed, but both the methods described have been used, depending on the effect one is looking for....and even setting the DC control to a # other than the aperture set on the lens can also yield interesting effects. In relaity there really is no right and wrong when attempting to achieve a certain look.

Lighting plays a very prominant role when SA is introduced as the angle of lighting and reflections in the image, can very much influence "the look".

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 31st March 2012 at 21:59.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Shooting full frame with the 70-200 VR II is SIGNIFICANTLY sharper in the corners and also vignettes less too. The original 70-200 VR is a great lens on a cropped sensor camera but you'll very quickly notice the softness at the edges of this lens. Otherwise, everything else that Dave mentions applies.
    Thanks Graham for mentioning the vignetting differeces between the two versions...it's quite significanty. My comments were primarily reflecting using these two lenses on full frame.

The other issue I fogot to mention is "focus breathing" which is significant with the new VRII version and upset quite a few. Namely when lens is set to 200mm and focused on a subject closer than it's infinity setting, the actual focal length of the lens is something less than 200mm, and in fact I beleive gets as shot as 140mm. So at closer range, this lens is effectively only a 140mm lens (unlike the VRI version.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Again Monza,

I forgot to answer your +, - question with regards to the DC control. Left is "front" and right is "rear". Many of these lenses "null" position was found at one or two clicks to the "rear" position. This is what some refer to as the "-" position.....just the opposite of what you mentioned.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I just obtained one of these lenses, and have shot only one roll so far, should have first results in a day or two...all shot at f/2, -1. Yes, I know; a roll, how quaint, right?

Figuring out this lens works will be a good use for digital...heh he

Robert

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave. I just obtained one of these lenses, and have shot only one roll so far, should have first results in a day or two...all shot at f/2, -1. Yes, I know; a roll, how quaint, right?

Robert
    You're most welcome. Bet in less than one generation from now, the meaning of "shot a roll" will probably take on a whole new meaning...LOL

Robert, I love film too, but to be honest, it would be a lot easier if you could experiement with this lens first on a full frame DSLR and at least develop a foundation for what effects you obtain by the altering the various settings and their combinations that this lens offers. I admire though your approach and I can't say I haven't been there before with such a unique lens as the 105 DC. I own a couple of quite rare soft focus lenses (one is a fast f2.8 zoom) and I too learned about all their permutations while testing on roll after roll of film (as digital was just a twinkle in the eye of its inventor).

I'm not the biggest fan how Nikon technically implemented it's DC on its 105 and 135mm DC lenses and instead of it being straight forward, it often leads to more confusion and less consistancy than it should. Many simply end up using it essentually with DC turned off and as a normal high performance mid range telephoto lens....which in some ways is unfortunate. In any case enjoy your new acquisition and let us know how it goes.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I had a 70-200VRI when I used the d2h and d2x and never was totally happy. I found it somewhat flat wide open, finally sold it and then used a 180/2.8 and a 200/2.0 instead.
    Years later when I tried the 70-200VRII and found it a major improvement. Sharp and nice contrast even wide open, this lens is so good that I even sold the 200/2.0VR (because I found the difference in IQ to small and didnt really need f2.0).
    So IMO major improvement from a so&so fast telezoom to an exceptional lens. I dont know how it works with the high pixel density of the d800 though.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    it would be a lot easier if you could experiement with this lens first on a full frame DSLR and at least develop a foundation for what effects you obtain by the altering the various settings and their combinations that this lens offers.
    Yes, that's the plan...and hence my comment about a good use for digital.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert
    Robert,

is a roll?

FWIW, I prefer my lens set at +1 or +2 for look, perhaps -1 for max sharpness. I will hopefully -- weather and time permitting -- be posting examples later this week.
    Jack