Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: What Lenses for the D800?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Lenses for the D800?

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    Sorry if this question is silly:
    Focus breathing reduces focal length of the 200mm to an apparent 140mm at close distance. But what about the 70mm range ? does it appears widest too at close focus distance?
    Question is not silly, but a good one! The basic answer is "no". With the 70-200 f2.8 VRII set to 70mm, it's effective focal length is still 70mm throughout the focusing distance range of the lens....therefore focus breathing with this lens is almost exclusively at it's longest focal length setting. With this lens set to 200mm, it is only noticable at very close-to close subject distances and becomes progressively less as camera-to-subject distances become greater.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 11th May 2012 at 06:17.

Post Thanks / Like

70-200 VRII focus breathing

70 is 70 at close focus and 72 from +3 m.

Marked 200mm is really:

1.4m = 134mm
    2m = 147mm
    3m = 164mm
    5m = 176mm
    10m = 186mm
    Infinity = 192mm

(ref.: bythorm)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So let's go back to the 70-200 V1. It is also IF, so does it do the same thing? Looking at Photozone's reports, the V1 appears sharper centrally but worse edges than the V2, but the V1 appears to hold better center at 200 where the V2 falls back, and edges appear equivalent. So it appears from these tests at least, that the V1 may be the better option for 200mm than the V2. Unless I am missing something?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    So let's go back to the 70-200 V1. It is also IF, so does it do the same thing? Looking at Photozone's reports, the V1 appears sharper centrally but worse edges than the V2, but the V1 appears to hold better center at 200 where the V2 falls back, and edges appear equivalent. So it appears from these tests at least, that the V1 may be the better option for 200mm than the V2. Unless I am missing something?
    A Nikon guy once told me that the 70-200 VR was built while Nikon thought the future was the crop sensor, and full frame would die. Nikons prof body's were cropfaktor and VRI was therefore optimized for it.

But when the forecast did not seem to hold, they rebuilt the 70-200, so it functioned optimally at Full Frame.

Don't think it was beer talk, we drank bourbon.

I think i will look into the new sigma 180 macro with OS - soon to come.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BSEH,

Given the significantly poorer edge performance of V1, that actually makes total sense.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Interestingly, the VRI version does not exhibit significant focus breathing at 200mm like the VRII. From what I understand, a different set of optical principals and design parameters were incorporated into the VRII"s design in order to extrat additional performance but this resulted in some compromises, one of which was focus breathing.

It's not strictly due to internal zooming. Although the VRI did not have stellar performance in the corners on full frame, it also wasn't exceptional in this area on a cropped sensor either. Keeping it a full 200mm at it's long end was something Nikon and other lens manufacturers tried to preserve with regards to full focal length range on all tele zooms designed. From my understanding, they weren't sure how significantly shorter reach zooms than the focal length advertised or marked would go over with shooters. Currently, it's now widely used and accepted and as a consequence, better performance is possible. It's an optical compromise.

I'm sure many of the reasons posted here in this thread were also discussed and considered during initial development.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for the V2. This is the second one I've had, the first was sold when I got rid of the D7000. Both are reliably very sharp everywhere, seem to have little distortion, focus brilliantly, have the best VR I've used. I really feel safe with this lens: it rarely gets anything wrong.