The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses for the D800?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
ptomsu: I agree with you that the D800E is very exciting at the prospects it brings to us, while I certainly feel that I am not buying it because it is bringing a MF camera, it is largely improved, and I most certainly care about that. Again, I look forward to the real world images.
Sure, if you have the luxury to bring (carry on long haul flights etc.) an MFD then this is for sure a preferred solution. Despite it costs a large amount of moony above a D800E system with several lenses.

V

Vivek

"Below are some of the lenses you can use for enhanced sharpness"

Sounds to me like marketing rather than recommendation. All listed lenses are AF-S lenses.
If it is marketing then they may need to fix that (department).

How come no T/S lenses are in the list? :shocked:

Lars

What will be the advantage of the D800E plus lenses compared to any MFD set? We all know:

1) size and weight (important if you have lots of flights with your gear, as my MFD stays almost always at home :(
2) speed
3) better high ISO
4) much more lens choices and all more lightweight compared to MFD
Umm... COST? Peter I'm sure you would never ignore that aspect but it's probably the most important criteria so it's worth bringing up.

I find it amazing how people can compare photography equipment ignoring a 4x-10x price differential. That hardly happens with cars, houses, home theaters, etc. What if you didn't care if you paid $4 or $20 per gallon at the gas pump? It's just irrational.

Shashin

None of the Nikon lenses will produce a worse image on the D800(e). If you like a lens, I would keep shooting with it. The resulting image will not suffer--pixel peeping is a fun activity, but it really does not define the image quality.

Shashin

Sure, if you have the luxury to bring (carry on long haul flights etc.) an MFD then this is for sure a preferred solution.
I just traveled internationally with a Pentax 645D and four lenses. They all fit into a LowePro Mini Trekker and I doubt it was significantly more troublesome then a regular DSLR the size of a D800 and a bunch of lenses. It was not a luxury.

Granted, when weight is a premium, like when going on extended trips in the wilderness, the D800 is going to be attractive, but it is not a clear-cut case. While the D800 looks like a great camera, I am not looking to trade in my 645D.

pophoto

"Below are some of the lenses you can use for enhanced sharpness"

Sounds to me like marketing rather than recommendation. All listed lenses are AF-S lenses.
Funny thing is to me, and possibly me alone, is that the 50mm f1.4G never made the cut on the short list here, since I personally think of it as trash! Okay, perhaps not to that extreme :p

What is very good, Nikon zooms are indeed very good and I am glad to see them all as being good enough :)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Any lens with relatively low contrast but good resolution (such as the 80-400 VR) will perform significantly better on the D800E than on the D800. Lenses with high acuity, like ZF.2 or 70-200/2.8 VR II will show less difference. So which lens depends on which of the cameras you're thinking of.

pophoto

I just traveled internationally with a Pentax 645D and four lenses. They all fit into a LowePro Mini Trekker and I doubt it was significantly more troublesome then a regular DSLR the size of a D800 and a bunch of lenses. It was not a luxury.

Granted, when weight is a premium, like when going on extended trips in the wilderness, the D800 is going to be attractive, but it is not a clear-cut case. While the D800 looks like a great camera, I am not looking to trade in my 645D.
I think the case now presents a newer scenario. Those who are buying into the Nikon D800/E have the choice, and now might actually find IQ is closer and perhaps good enough or indeed just different!

I don't think it's about trading stuff in to get or even to use this camera, it's just options!

Shashin

I think the case now presents a newer scenario. Those who are buying into the Nikon D800/E have the choice, and now might actually find IQ is closer and perhaps good enough or indeed just different!

I don't think it's about trading stuff in to get or even to use this camera, it's just options!
I agree, the D800 looks like a great camera. And certainly is going to excel with any kind of travel. And there are certainly pluses that come with a 35mm sensor. But likewise, traveling with MFD is not that difficult (the reason for my post). The point I was trying to make, and not successfully, is that I do not think the travel component necessarily rules out MFD over the D800--they can both be an excellent option--I do a lot of traveling with my gear and and the ease of moving with my stuff is really important.

Lars

A poor fellow who advertised his brand new IQ180 system for sale, purchased new in August last year probably for $50K-60K, just sold it on ebay. Highest bid was $26K. Ouch - like driving a new car off the seller's lot. Those backs might be the best ever made, but you better have deep pockets for the writeoff.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Umm... COST? Peter I'm sure you would never ignore that aspect but it's probably the most important criteria so it's worth bringing up.

I find it amazing how people can compare photography equipment ignoring a 4x-10x price differential. That hardly happens with cars, houses, home theaters, etc. What if you didn't care if you paid $4 or $20 per gallon at the gas pump? It's just irrational.
Fully agree!

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Maybe 645D is different, but H3D39 and 2 lenses plus TS adapter is already a big bag IMHO. In such a bag I could fit a D800 plus 70-200, 1.4/24 and 16-35 easily and still have space left.

And with the ever increasing airline restrictions traveling with MFD gear gets even more complicated.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
A poor fellow who advertised his brand new IQ180 system for sale, purchased new in August last year probably for $50K-60K, just sold it on ebay. Highest bid was $26K. Ouch - like driving a new car off the seller's lot. Those backs might be the best ever made, but you better have deep pockets for the writeoff.
What does it tell us? That all MFD gear is heavily overpriced. Part of it is the low production numbers of cameras, backs and lenses, part of it is that ALL vendors just want to earn a golden nose - no exception here!

I really got tired of all those offers, especially trade in programs, because it shows how much overpriced all that gear is!

tsjanik

Maybe 645D is different, but H3D39 and 2 lenses plus TS adapter is already a big bag IMHO. In such a bag I could fit a D800 plus 70-200, 1.4/24 and 16-35 easily and still have space left.

And with the ever increasing airline restrictions traveling with MFD gear gets even more complicated.
645D body and lenses are compact.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

I find the lenses similar in size to their Canon 35mm counterparts e.g. the 645 120mm FA macro (one of the largest for its focal length in the 645 system) and the Canon 100mm macro:

Weight Diam x Length Filter Size Min. Focus

735 g 82.5 x 110mm 67 mm 39.5 in 1x Pentax 120mm

600 g 79x 118 mm 58 mm 36 in. 1x Canon 100mm

I'm sure the D800 is a great camera, but I doubt I would choose it over a 645D and certainly not on the basis of size.

Tom

ptomsu

Workshop Member
645D body and lenses are compact.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

I find the lenses similar in size to their Canon 35mm counterparts e.g. the 645 120mm FA macro (one of the largest for its focal length in the 645 system) and the Canon 100mm macro:

Weight Diam x Length Filter Size Min. Focus

735 g 82.5 x 110mm 67 mm 39.5 in 1x Pentax 120mm

600 g 79x 118 mm 58 mm 36 in. 1x Canon 100mm

I'm sure the D800 is a great camera, but I doubt I would choose it over a 645D and certainly not on the basis of size.

Tom
Sure,

but in my eyes these are all arguments to justify the 645D system.

Be honest - a 645D body and a D800 body alone are significant in size and weight. Add the size of a say 1.8/50 compared to the 80 from any of the MFD systems and this is the next eye opener. And so on and on and on ....

D&A

I think for the time being, until the D800/D800e is in the hands of capable photographers, especially those that have the opportunity to shoot and compare files taken with the D800e along side such cameras such as the 645D, S2 and/or various other near 40MP MF cameras, it is an exercise in fruition to determine which system has the advantage. Of course among other things, lens selection will play a considerable role in these comparisons as will the intended application. There are just too many variables. One camera may actually end up with showing better acuity in details at low ISO or maybe lose that advantage at higher ISO. One camera or another may have more color depth or dimensionality or represent some subjects with more realism or better color and/or skin tones. We're also of course comparing different sensors (CMOS vs. CCD) and electronics that relate to output. It may be that with certain lenses and settings there is little difference on web viewed images or smaller prints but substantial differences can be seen in large format prints. I know what I observed with the early posted samples and what I liked or didn't like, but I personally will reserve judgement until better and more meaningful comparisons are made.

I've learned a long time ago that numbers alone rarely tell the story when it comes to final image product.

As for portability and other non image related factors, Tom is correct in that many of the AF lenses (from wide angle to 300/400mm) in the Pentax 645 system (for example), may be similar in size to their full frame 35mm Af counterparts for transport consideration, but relative size of lenses and even body size has little consequence unless the system when used with those lenses is the best system chosen for a particular application. If I am shooting fast moving wildlife or pro sports, I'd choose the D800 (even though not a speed demon compared to a D700/D3/D4, some of which I use) every time with appropriate lenses (regardless how big) and yet conversely I would choose my 645D every time for landscape and portrait and macro work, if it turns out that the qualities of the file (as I outlined) continue to stand out and be superior to Nikon DSLR's as it has been up to the present (D800e excluded of course for the time being). It stands to reason that any subject can be tackled with any camera (I've shot some captured wildlife with the 645D), but having the right tool in order to obtain files that achieve a particuar goal in capturing an image, as envisioned, is personally my main consideration and why sometimes I will reach for a D3 or D700, where at other times the 645D is the right choice.

Once the D800e is out there, then let the comparisons (and fireworks) begin, especially that there are so many other tangible and intangible reasons why one will still shoot with one system or another as their main system.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: