The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses for the D800?

BSEH

I post a link to his page, but don't think it's accepted..

But he runs test on lenses on D800 to test resolution

BSEH

I like photozone. In my own non-scientific testing I get results that are in good agreement--- at least most of the time.
I agree that the photo zone makes some very competent test. But sometimes I miss Test on Full Frame sensors.

And in the end, it the eye of the beholder to determine what works best.

But my D800 is once again gone on backorder, I have nothing else to do than to read about it .. :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>One issue is on zooms he has not tested the whole range of focal lengths but picked just one to test so that seems up in the air a little.

Even more to summarize a lens in one or two numbers does not work.

BSEH

>One issue is on zooms he has not tested the whole range of focal lengths but picked just one to test so that seems up in the air a little.

Even more to summarize a lens in one or two numbers does not work.

Ok, so it only indicates the potential for each objective in relation to exploit D800s sensor. And only useful in relation to the prime, not zoom.

So there's even more need for feedback from those who here has the opportunity to try lenses on the D800.

THANKS .....
If anyone has access to lenses for 150 - 200 to test, it would be nice to hear about it, thanks.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Ok, so it only indicates the potential for each objective in relation to exploit D800s sensor

But there are center, corners and extreme corners. The we have f-stop and focal length. Too much for one number I think.

gustavo

Lots of good suggestions can be made (and most certainly will), but permit me to throw one out there that might enable you to keep your current lenses and address your budget. No one can say with any certainty at this point how the Nikon 24-70 will perform with the D800E, until that camera is released and tested. A 16-35 or 17-35 along with a 50mm and a short telezoom would be a good spread. The 16-35 f4 VR I suspect will be a competent performer on the D800E but has excessive distortion at its wide end which may or may not be an issue in post processing, depending on subjects shot and subject distances. I haven't yet tested the venerable Nikon17-35mm f2.8 on the D800/D800E, but my gut feeling is corners to say the least at 17-20mm with the zoom might be an issue until well stopped down. The Tokina 17-35 f4 is an unknown and untested as far as I know on the D800 but will fit into most individuals budget. Tokina's 16-28 f2.8 won't be adaquate in the sides/corners, as it wasn't when I tested it on a D700/D3S. The zooms on the D800/D800E are sort of a wild card until further testing.

Lastly if you think you would use the wide range Nikon 14-24mm f2.8, you could combine that with a fast 35mm f1.4 and use your 50mm f1.8 and 105 G lens..which might just about be covered with your budget unless of course you decide to sell your 24-70 f2.8 lens. The gap between 24mm and 50mm is sometimes a bit too wide for many shooters, and therefore filling in that gap is essential.

Dave (D&A)
Dave,
thank you very much. It could be a good idea to wait a little more to decide about the lenses.

D&A

>Ok, so it only indicates the potential for each objective in relation to exploit D800s sensor

But there are center, corners and extreme corners. The we have f-stop and focal length. Too much for one number I think.

Absolutely Uwe...all that and also throw into the mix, various subject distances such as close range, mid-distance and infinity (at various f-stops). Its surprising how some lenses at infinity are excellent, even when shot at their more open apertures, but are mediocre in performance at closer range (except for the center of the frame) and require stopping down extensively to achieve more than acceptable performance across the entire frame. It's a common phenominon with many lenses.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I got a nice condition AF-D 70-210/4-5.6 for all of $115. Not because I can't afford a 70-200 VRII (in fact I was buying one in a sale that fell through because the seller wouldn't guarantee it's a good copy) but because I want a small lens at this range I can drop in my bag. Krockwell seems to think it's optically comparable to the 80-200 AF-S, so can't be completely dysmal. I'll probably also pick up an AF-D 20/2.8 to drop in the bag (or a pocket) when I don't want to carry a wide zoom.

pophoto

I got a nice condition AF-D 70-210/4-5.6 for all of $115. Not because I can't afford a 70-200 VRII (in fact I was buying one in a sale that fell through because the seller wouldn't guarantee it's a good copy) but because I want a small lens at this range I can drop in my bag. Krockwell seems to think it's optically comparable to the 80-200 AF-S, so can't be completely dysmal. I'll probably also pick up an AF-D 20/2.8 to drop in the bag (or a pocket) when I don't want to carry a wide zoom.
I dunno if it is just me, but I had upgraded from the old 80-200 to the VRII 70-200mm, and the improvements were instant gratifications. The VR was the first thing you'll notice shooting any tele without a tripod in average light conditions, and will tell you how important this is, but I think you already know this. However, with the newer coatings, the images will have a different look altogether, you could say this is a subjective thing, although the quality are pretty obvious. AF-C on the lens when I used it with my D700 was extremely fast and accurate. Either way, the 80-200 is well received in the used market still, so not a huge problem when you make the step. Although a far cry from the $115 you just paid :p
Just my thoughts!

Po

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yeah, could well be it's not so great. But then again I'd probably mostly be shooting f/8 and down on a tripod, bean bag, or some impromptu support so it's not a complete impossibility that I'll find it perfectly acceptable.

pophoto

Another twist to this is that 'better' is a relative thing too! If you're not comparing and you are happy with the lens, there's no need for a more expensive lens, pocket the difference and enjoy some nice nights dining out! :)

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Just got myself a near-mint AIS 105/2.5 as well. Should be a fine lens on the D800E due to its lower need for contrast to punch through an AA filter.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I don't like much lens testing. But I check some lenses today with LensAlign:

60mm Makro: 0
105mm Macro: 0
24-120mm: 0

but my old 28-70mm (2001) needed +12.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Got the AF-D 70-210/4-5.6. This thing is incredibly compact, like the AI-S 80/1.4 but twice as long. Built like an AI-S lens, so feels super solid.

Focus is whirry (gearing?) and the focus ring, well it's fine but you can feel the gears turning.

I tend to hate push-pull zooms, but this is one of the better I've ever used; no droop, and it stays put as set. Still, I'd prefer a ring, but I can live with it.

On the D7000:

Focus checks out perfect.

Wide open it's soft, everywhere and anywhere. Not useable in my book.
Stopped down to f/8 it has improved dramatically and might have some uses. A little bit of fringing remains and edges are ever so slightly soft. It's very even across the field.
At f/11 all signs of fringing are completely gone and it's crisp and super sharp.
f/16 - same as f/11
f/22 - global contrast loss due to diffraction, fine detail is about the same as at f/8, and there's no fringing visible. I'd use this in a pinch for DoF.

So... a perfect small lens to use with a compact hiking/climbing kit with a small light CF tripod and Acratech ballhead. Given at f/11 it's crisp out to the corners I think it may turn out quite well on FX as well. (I'd never get this lens for the D7000... the camera lacks the image real estate for landscape/stills and the lens isn't suited for highly dynamic scenes.)

It's somewhat prone to veiling flare so needs a shade. The Nikon one is a 62mm screw-in metal hood that's shared with a few other lenses.

So... so far so good. It'll be interesting to see the edges and corners on the D800.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Diffraction could be certainly a issue. We should all be checking that too set up a tripod and focus on some print or something of that nature and run the aperture ring from open to about F16 most likely 5.6 and or F 8 will be optimum on most lenses but watch F11 and see if it starts to degrade at 100 percent view and find out on each lens your limits. So in the field you won't blow it by going to far when it counts.