The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What Lenses for the D800?

D&A

Okay, finally caved and ordered a 200/2 -- used, VR1 G version. Also ordered a 2x ver III converter and since the Nikon 1.4x won't AF with this lens, I ordered a Sigma 1.4x to try -- not holding my breath on that combo being great though.
Jack, not sure why you said the current Nikon f1.4x won't autofocus with Nikon's 200 f2 AF-S VR I lens. It most certainly will as well as the current 2x! Use of the Nikon 1.4x with this lens was a staple in my shooting as was the occasional use of the 2x. The 1.4x + 200 f2 optically was superb, coming very close to the native 300 f2.8 VR. Use of the 2x was no slouch either although certainly at a level below that of the 1.4x. I have additional comments about all these combinations in a old FS posting here on GETdpi as well as many others who have used this lens with both teleconverters.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Dave we both looked at the 1.4 on B&H website and it list it as no AF for the 200g F2 which we both thought really weird. I'm ordering a 200 also and would love to use the 1.4

BSEH

For sure... but I can't find anywhere that has all variables covered which is why I'm doing so much testing myself for the things that matter to me. But that lens rentals page is a great place to start. I wish the UK had an equipment rental agency as comprehensive, helpful and well priced as them!
and by all mean keep on testing - it's a great help in choosing new lenses for the D800...guys like me need 2.opinions ..alot..:)

But Im a little concern non of you seems to have the 24-70, why ?

BTW great results on lensrental/com but limit test on f/8...

Guy Mancuso

End of day I hate zooms always have. But that comes a very pig headed person that never thought they will match a prime and in a way they never will. Your also seeing some real lens sluts around here. ME. LOL

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, not sure why you said the current Nikon f1.4x won't autofocus with Nikon's 200 f2 AF-S VR I lens. It most certainly will as well as the current 2x! Use of the Nikon 1.4x with this lens was a staple in my shooting as was the occasional use of the 2x. The 1.4x + 200 f2 optically was superb, coming very close to the native 300 f2.8 VR. Use of the 2x was no slouch either although certainly at a level below that of the 1.4x. I have additional comments about all these combinations in a old FS posting here on GETdpi as well as many others who have used this lens with both teleconverters.

Dave (D&A)
According to the B&H Nikon teleconverter compatibility page, it very clearly states the 1.4x converter will NOT allow AF on the 200/2 -- about halfway down the list of compatible lenses here: Nikon TC-14E II 1.4x Teleconverter for D-AF-S & AF-I 2129 . So now I am a little peeved if that's wrong... :mad:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, can't see on that where the 200 f2 is specifically mentioned. I trust Dave, but it's weird that B&H has that limitation posted.

Guy Mancuso

Hope this looks correctly

Function Limitations

Prod. #

Lens Description

TC-14E II

TC-17E II

TC-20E II

TC-20E III

AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

AF not possible

AF not possible

AF not possible

AF not possible

AF-S VR NIKKOR 200mm f/2G IF-ED

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

AF-S VR NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G IF-ED

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

AF-I NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8D IF-ED

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

No limitations

For additional information about Nikon Teleconverter compatibility and/or function limitations, refer to the documentation packaged with the NIKKOR lens and/or Teleconverter, information provided in Nikon product brochures, Nikonusa.com or call Nikon Technical Support, toll-free at 800-645-6689.

Guy Mancuso

Guy, can't see on that where the 200 f2 is specifically mentioned. I trust Dave, but it's weird that B&H has that limitation posted.
I agree, I have more faith in Dave anyway over B&H chart which looks to be wrong.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Graham we where both on talking to each this morning going over it as I want one also and the data on B&H was just flat out wrong.

D&A

Jack, I truly appreciate your trust but some others who shall go nameless <cough cough....someone named Guy>, had to get confirmation from others before believing me...LOL! Guy, you know I'm just teasing you and making light of the situation. If after years of my shootiing with the Af 200 f2 Vr lens + 1.4x and autofocusing....if it wasn't true that this combo autofocused perfectly, then what the heck was I seeing when prior to pressing the AF button on the camera, the viewfinder image was a complete blur and then with a single press of this AF button, meraculously, the viewfinder became crystal clear :)

Anyhow, the important thing is you both are going to be impressed with the 200 f2 with and without the 1.4x and even surprised when using the 2x with this lens, as long as you don't expect miracles, but a very useable image under the right set of conditions (speaking of their use on a D700/D3s of course).

You almost make me want to re-aquire this lens. My bank account is going to love you both if I ever decide to do so :)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
FWIW the Nikon list is wrong for the 105mm f2.8 VR - AF and VR works fine with 1.4II, 1.7II, and 2.0III TCs that I have.

Mind you that Nikon will say that any combination of TC and lens that results in a min f stop of 5.6 will not AF - but of course they do albeit in good light ;-)

D&A

Jack, just a small additional comment regarding the Sigma 1.4x which I believe you initially ordered. Generally the Sigma 1.4x will not Af with many Nikon Af lenses it's mounted on. It ends up either not autofocusing at all or stuttering and/or simply hunting back and forth as though trying to find something to lock onto. For a 3rd party 1.4x that does work reliably with most all Nikon Af lenses (SW or screw driven), the current Kenko Pro 1.4x converter does (Tamron's is reportedly similar or the same). Optically speaking, it often can do a decent job but in most cases it's clearly inferior to the Nikon if both happen to work properly with a given lens and are tested simultaniously.

Conversely, the current Nikon 1.4x will Af with most Sigma lenses with HSM focusing, but to get it to mount, one has to carefully dremel away the small little metal square on the back of the Nikon 1.4x, in order to get it to mount to the Sigma lens. Often times the Nikon is superior optically to Sigma's own 1.4x when used on a Sigma HSM lens, other times it's moderately close. It depends on the lens they're being used on.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To update, I immediately ordered the Nikon 1.4x and will return the Sigma -- the fact I had to do the extra unnecessary steps -- pay for an additional shipping fee for the second Nikon box and pay a return shipping fee for the Sigma -- was the source of my frustration comment above ;)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just took delivery of the VR1 200/2. OMG it is a freaking LASER, even wide open! DOF Is paper thin -- and thus my issue. This one back focuses slightly to the point I cannot correct it with -20 dialed in on my body :( It sits about 3cm behind PoF at 15 meters, and it's a 3cm you can see because the DoF is so freaking thin. Option one is to return it. Option two is to see if Nikon service will adjust it, but that sounds like a crap-shoot and a PITA to begin with. I am sick. Oh, and the 1.4x works great on it -- final image is still extremely sharp wide open -- a skosh behind the 200 naked, but still sharper than the 70-200 VR2 at 200 and f4... LASER!