Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Lenses for the D800?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What Lenses for the D800?

Maybe it is premature to speculate but which Nikkor lenses would you expect to be a good match to the D800?

Mr.Gale

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Lenses for the D800?

My guess and just a guess.
    24/1.4,35/1.4G, 50/1.4G/ 50/1.8G, 85/1.4G, 200/2.0, maybe 70200VRII
    14-24/2.8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you go for the ultimate optical performance optimized for a high resolution digital sensor based body I believe Tom's above guess is very good and precise.
    But personally I couldn't afford all those expensive high-end lenses, so I (need to) take another approach.

I intend to keep on enjoying the rendering of most of my lenses for good and for bad, including a lot of old manual focus AI-S type lenses from the film days.
    Most of them will probably be far from perfect on a high resolution 36Mp 'full frame' 24x36mm digital sensor, but I assume most of them will still have a lot of character and personality.

And after all photography is still about content and character in the rendering.

Like Godfrey recently put it in another thread:
    "Expressive photography isn't constrained by technical analysis of lens defects.
    Sometimes the defects add to the aesthetic appeal of the image."

(Well spoken, Godfrey)

Or like Thom Hogan put it in his comment on the 12th of February 2012:
    "Lenses.
    Everyone seems to want a list of "D800-approved" lenses. There will never be such a thing.
    Absolutely nothing has changed from my Rationalizing Lenses article just because someone sprinkled in a few more megapixels.
    A good lens is still a good lens. A poor lens is still a poor lens."

... which so far is (has to be) good enough for me,
    I guess we will just have to wait and see how it turns out when the D800 finally is here,
    if the new camera is a bad match for my lenses I'll probably keep the lenses, not the camera.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steen, Good summary.

However, I wonder why bother with the D800 at all?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

By the way - If I was going to get a D800 and would wait and just see which lenses work how good and then decide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It might be worth a quick read of Ctein's article in Mike Johnston's "The Online Photographer" blog. The article is titled "Myths About Megapixels (and does the D800 have too many?)".

He makes a more technical case and I've pasted the pertinent info here:

"....A 36-megapixel sensor will resolve around 75 lp/mm. Even mediocre 35mm lenses will hit 75 lp/mm at some aperture over some portion of their field of view. This is true of both fixed focal length and zoom lenses.

Decent (not at all exceptional) 35mm-format lenses can hit 75 lp/mm at just about all apertures and will do so over most of the field of view for at least one aperture. They'll show peak resolutions more like twice that. Really good lenses (not necessarily expensive ones) will be able to exceed 75 line pair per millimeter without even trying hard over most/all of the field of view and will have peak resolutions three or more times that."

Best,
    Tim

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TRSmith View Post
    It might be worth a quick read of Ctein's article in Mike Johnston's "The Online Photographer" blog. The article is titled "Myths About Megapixels (and does the D800 have too many?)".

He makes a more technical case and I've pasted the pertinent info here:

"....A 36-megapixel sensor will resolve around 75 lp/mm. Even mediocre 35mm lenses will hit 75 lp/mm at some aperture over some portion of their field of view. This is true of both fixed focal length and zoom lenses.

Decent (not at all exceptional) 35mm-format lenses can hit 75 lp/mm at just about all apertures and will do so over most of the field of view for at least one aperture. They'll show peak resolutions more like twice that. Really good lenses (not necessarily expensive ones) will be able to exceed 75 line pair per millimeter without even trying hard over most/all of the field of view and will have peak resolutions three or more times that."

Best,
    Tim
    I find this very technical and theoretical. Sounds lice all medicore and better lenses would outresolve a 36MP sensor.
    So how does it come that we see big resolution differences between medicore and exceptional lenses allready on a 12MP sensor?

However I am sure Nikon would not use a sensor/filter/microlens-combination if it would work ok with their lens line-up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that the article ran counter to what I thought I knew. Nevertheless, there's enough "truth" in it to soften the idea that only the very best glass will stand up to all those pixels.

Tweaking ever-finer slivers of quality in digital images by using better lenses is nothing new. I'll wager that once people have a chance to use the D800 for awhile, a list of great matching lenses will emerge.

But if it were me about to buy a D800, I'd simply get the body and try my existing lineup of lenses before spending big on new ones.

Best,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the samples were taken with their reference lenses, I think this is an indicator of how acceptable to Nikon their trinity zooms are. On top of that we their f/1.4 primes, all are much newer than their zooms and together with less expensive f/1.8 primes being released as we chat here.
    Macro lenses tend to have good resolving power as well, and their 105mm VR should be nice too.

We also have offerings from Zeiss ZF.2 lenses, all of which are manual lenses and highly regarded. The D800 is catalyst to sell more expensive lenses for sure, but even if you go with their f1.8 primes, I think they will be good for the costs, and not necessarily inferior in IQ, but of course we are all speculating at this point. If not, there's the Ebay!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

Steen, Good summary.

However, I wonder why bother with the D800 at all?

Now that's what I would call a 'bad' question, because I have no good answers

What I really want is the D4 sensor in the D800 body and if I believed we would see that in 2013 I would wait for it.

But I'm not so sure it will come at all, and now I have been waiting for upgrading to the good old full 24x36mm format for about two years.

So my options are D4 or D800E or D700 - or as an alternative just stay with my present APS-C D300 that has worked so well for me for a period of more than four years now (in itself a very satisfying fact).

Among those options the D800E is the most tempting option because I get:

the new sensor technology with the latest sensitivity improvements, DR etc. in the small form factor body and at a somewhat affordable price

a full frame 24x36mm sensor and, even more important, a wonderfully big and bright old-fashioned FF optical viewfinder (which means a lot to me)

a rare sensor with cancelled Anti-Aliasing filtration (a very tempting feature, at least in theory)

But I do admit that the 36 Mp resolution is in some way overkill for my needs though you could say it is the perfect match for 16x24" (A2) print at 300 dpi without any need for upsizing.

Still, I have actually done decent 50x75cm (about ~ 20x30") print with just 6 Mp in the past ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The answer to this question (for me) is simple:

Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f/2.8
    Nikkor 70-200 AF-S f/2.8

These will be the best lenses for the D800E for because they are the one's I own. If I were to add one to this mix it would be one of the following:

Carl Zeiss 100mm F/2 Makro Planar ZF.2
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8 (the new one)
    Cosina Voigtlander 75mm Classic Heliar f/1.8 SL-II (I'd have to test that one)

I had the opportunity to shoot with the Zeiss and I am in love with the way it renders. Sending it back to CZ was like giving up a kidney. Unfortunately, keeping it would have meant actually selling a kidney. I am keen to see how the CV lens performs. If it is similar to the M-mount version (they supposedly have the same lens formulation) then it will be a stellar performer on the D800E.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like

I would trust to be able to use all the "new" Nano coated glass.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite lenses that I have in mind for the D800E is the Leitz Tele-Elmar 135/4.
    Here an example with that lens on an M9:
    Attachment 54828
    Full size image here: 2011.02.10 Bandelier from above - winklers' Photos

K-H.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking back at my D2X images with slightly lower pixel pitch, certainly older Nikon teles hold up more than well. 180/2.8D and 300/4 AF are razor sharp wide open. Likewise a 1980s Series E 50/1.8 resolves enough in the center wide open (but with a crappy bokeh). I would worry about older zooms wide open though.
    Monochrome: http://mochro.com

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think lenses are going to be the problem with this camera.

The sample images posted by Nikon are not impressive.

While some do show a lot of geometric resolution, I don't see the shadow detail and punch of the D3x.... While claims of MF quality have been made... I don't see it.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

While some do show a lot of geometric resolution, I don't see the shadow detail and punch of the D3x.... While claims of MF quality have been made... I don't see it.

36MP in a FF 35mm DSLR sensor...... the problem will be diffraction not lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FredBGG View Post

36MP in a FF 35mm DSLR sensor...... the problem will be diffraction not lenses.
    Not sure what your experience is with MF quality, but I would say the samples from the D800E look pretty impressive. Definitely not worse than comparable MF stuff.

Ah yes - diffraction - well a very often discussed issue - almost discussed to death - albeit the real impact on IQ is not as huge as all these discussion try to make it. I for myself could not care less!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    Not sure what your experience is with MF quality, but I would say the samples from the D800E look pretty impressive. Definitely not worse than comparable MF stuff.

Ah yes - diffraction - well a very often discussed issue - almost discussed to death - albeit the real impact on IQ is not as huge as all these discussion try to make it. I for myself could not care less!
    Despite having the D800E on order, my opinion of the samples are that I disagree with you. I don't find them of MF quality and they don't look impressive to me, but good enough. So why do I have it on order, you might add? Well, I'm not sure, while being close to production quality I reserve to see what samples are like at hand. I would say this has been true for previous Nikon releases too, despite never having reached such high 36MP. I think MF has always shown it can deliver this almost 'too real' tangible crispness in image detail, while 35mm has even to this point just 'beautiful' renderings of the real world, this can be due to image resolution too.
    Both of which can definitely serve its intended purpose.

Whether or not this is due to the sensor size or resolving power of the Nikon lenses, I am not sure. While it's true, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my eyes do tell me they are not of MF quality. It's definitely a bridging gap at this point... When more samples come, I might change my mind, it's not something I can speculate. However, I truly welcome Nikon bringing us here in 2012, where ever it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Despite having the D800E on order, my opinion of the samples are that I disagree with you. I don't find them of MF quality and they don't look impressive to me, but good enough. So why do I have it on order, you might add? Well, I'm not sure, while being close to production quality I reserve to see what samples are like at hand. I would say this has been true for previous Nikon releases too, despite never having reached such high 36MP. I think MF has always shown it can deliver this almost 'too real' tangible crispness in image detail, while 35mm has even to this point just 'beautiful' renderings of the real world, this can be due to image resolution too.
    Both of which can definitely serve its intended purpose.

Whether or not this is due to the sensor size or resolving power of the Nikon lenses, I am not sure. While it's true, that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, my eyes do tell me they are not of MF quality. It's definitely a bridging gap at this point... When more samples come, I might change my mind, it's not something I can speculate. However, I truly welcome Nikon bringing us here in 2012, where ever it is.
    Maybe the pre production samples are not "quite" as good - but how far away?

And the D800E samples look very promising to me. Although I assume they are either OOC JPEGs or JPEGs produced with Nikon Capture. I assume that once LR4 and C1Pro are supporting the NEF files of the D800E, that IQ will significantly be above what you see in the samples posted today.

I am very sure that the biggest gap will be closed by the effectively non existing AA filter of the D800E. Have seen with the E5 which had only 12MP and very weak high ISO, but IQ at low ISO was simply stunning and IMHO outperforming even D3X. So I have huge expectations for the D800E.

What will be the advantage of the D800E plus lenses compared to any MFD set? We all know:

1) size and weight (important if you have lots of flights with your gear, as my MFD stays almost always at home
    2) speed
    3) better high ISO
    4) much more lens choices and all more lightweight compared to MFD

All this together makes me not doubt a second that the D800E in combination with some selected Nikkor lenses will be a perfect replacement for me WRT travel, landscape and people photography.

Plus - if I really want to carry weight, I can add a tripod to that and turn off VR in the Nikkor glass. Maybe this will have more effect on the final edge of IQ than MFD.

Finally - I am talking about MFD below 40MP, sure more than 40MP will remain the domain of MFD. But I never needed more than 40MP, so again that is not an argument for me.

Post Thanks / Like

ptomsu: I agree with you that the D800E is very exciting at the prospects it brings to us, while I certainly feel that I am not buying it because it is bringing a MF camera, it is largely improved, and I most certainly care about that. Again, I look forward to the real world images.

Post Thanks / Like

ptomsu: I agree with you that the D800E is very exciting at the prospects it brings to us, while I certainly feel that I am not buying it because it is bringing a MF camera, it is largely improved, and I most certainly care about that. Again, I look forward to the real world images.
    Sure, if you have the luxury to bring (carry on long haul flights etc.) an MFD then this is for sure a preferred solution. Despite it costs a large amount of moony above a D800E system with several lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wr...alGuide_En.pdf

Page 16 for recommended lenses.
    Previously posted in wrong thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting reading. Actually all the lenses I have (plan to have) are on this list.

Diffraction is ok, as I hardly ever use aperture higher than 11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Below are some of the lenses you can use for enhanced sharpness"

Sounds to me like marketing rather than recommendation. All listed lenses are AF-S lenses.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Vinberg View Post

Sounds to me like marketing rather than recommendation. All listed lenses are AF-S lenses.
    If it is marketing then they may need to fix that (department).

How come no T/S lenses are in the list?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What will be the advantage of the D800E plus lenses compared to any MFD set? We all know:

1) size and weight (important if you have lots of flights with your gear, as my MFD stays almost always at home
    2) speed
    3) better high ISO
    4) much more lens choices and all more lightweight compared to MFD
    Umm... COST? Peter I'm sure you would never ignore that aspect but it's probably the most important criteria so it's worth bringing up.

I find it amazing how people can compare photography equipment ignoring a 4x-10x price differential. That hardly happens with cars, houses, home theaters, etc. What if you didn't care if you paid $4 or $20 per gallon at the gas pump? It's just irrational.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

None of the Nikon lenses will produce a worse image on the D800(e). If you like a lens, I would keep shooting with it. The resulting image will not suffer--pixel peeping is a fun activity, but it really does not define the image quality.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure, if you have the luxury to bring (carry on long haul flights etc.) an MFD then this is for sure a preferred solution.
    I just traveled internationally with a Pentax 645D and four lenses. They all fit into a LowePro Mini Trekker and I doubt it was significantly more troublesome then a regular DSLR the size of a D800 and a bunch of lenses. It was not a luxury.

Granted, when weight is a premium, like when going on extended trips in the wilderness, the D800 is going to be attractive, but it is not a clear-cut case. While the D800 looks like a great camera, I am not looking to trade in my 645D.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny thing is to me, and possibly me alone, is that the 50mm f1.4G never made the cut on the short list here, since I personally think of it as trash! Okay, perhaps not to that extreme :P

What is very good, Nikon zooms are indeed very good and I am glad to see them all as being good enough

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Any lens with relatively low contrast but good resolution (such as the 80-400 VR) will perform significantly better on the D800E than on the D800. Lenses with high acuity, like ZF.2 or 70-200/2.8 VR II will show less difference. So which lens depends on which of the cameras you're thinking of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    I just traveled internationally with a Pentax 645D and four lenses. They all fit into a LowePro Mini Trekker and I doubt it was significantly more troublesome then a regular DSLR the size of a D800 and a bunch of lenses. It was not a luxury.

Granted, when weight is a premium, like when going on extended trips in the wilderness, the D800 is going to be attractive, but it is not a clear-cut case. While the D800 looks like a great camera, I am not looking to trade in my 645D.
    I think the case now presents a newer scenario. Those who are buying into the Nikon D800/E have the choice, and now might actually find IQ is closer and perhaps good enough or indeed just different!

I don't think it's about trading stuff in to get or even to use this camera, it's just options!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the case now presents a newer scenario. Those who are buying into the Nikon D800/E have the choice, and now might actually find IQ is closer and perhaps good enough or indeed just different!

I don't think it's about trading stuff in to get or even to use this camera, it's just options!
    I agree, the D800 looks like a great camera. And certainly is going to excel with any kind of travel. And there are certainly pluses that come with a 35mm sensor. But likewise, traveling with MFD is not that difficult (the reason for my post). The point I was trying to make, and not successfully, is that I do not think the travel component necessarily rules out MFD over the D800--they can both be an excellent option--I do a lot of traveling with my gear and and the ease of moving with my stuff is really important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A poor fellow who advertised his brand new IQ180 system for sale, purchased new in August last year probably for $50K-60K, just sold it on ebay. Highest bid was $26K. Ouch - like driving a new car off the seller's lot. Those backs might be the best ever made, but you better have deep pockets for the writeoff.

Post Thanks / Like

Let's hope it goes back on Ebay soon, I'll be bidding

Post Thanks / Like

Umm... COST? Peter I'm sure you would never ignore that aspect but it's probably the most important criteria so it's worth bringing up.

I find it amazing how people can compare photography equipment ignoring a 4x-10x price differential. That hardly happens with cars, houses, home theaters, etc. What if you didn't care if you paid $4 or $20 per gallon at the gas pump? It's just irrational.
    Fully agree!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 645D is different, but H3D39 and 2 lenses plus TS adapter is already a big bag IMHO. In such a bag I could fit a D800 plus 70-200, 1.4/24 and 16-35 easily and still have space left.

And with the ever increasing airline restrictions traveling with MFD gear gets even more complicated.

Post Thanks / Like

A poor fellow who advertised his brand new IQ180 system for sale, purchased new in August last year probably for $50K-60K, just sold it on ebay. Highest bid was $26K. Ouch - like driving a new car off the seller's lot. Those backs might be the best ever made, but you better have deep pockets for the writeoff.
    What does it tell us? That all MFD gear is heavily overpriced. Part of it is the low production numbers of cameras, backs and lenses, part of it is that ALL vendors just want to earn a golden nose - no exception here!

I really got tired of all those offers, especially trade in programs, because it shows how much overpriced all that gear is!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe 645D is different, but H3D39 and 2 lenses plus TS adapter is already a big bag IMHO. In such a bag I could fit a D800 plus 70-200, 1.4/24 and 16-35 easily and still have space left.

And with the ever increasing airline restrictions traveling with MFD gear gets even more complicated.
    645D body and lenses are compact.
    Compare camera dimensions side by side

I find the lenses similar in size to their Canon 35mm counterparts e.g. the 645 120mm FA macro (one of the largest for its focal length in the 645 system) and the Canon 100mm macro:

Weight Diam x Length Filter Size Min. Focus

735 g 82.5 x 110mm 67 mm 39.5 in 1x Pentax 120mm

600 g 79x 118 mm 58 mm 36 in. 1x Canon 100mm

I'm sure the D800 is a great camera, but I doubt I would choose it over a 645D and certainly not on the basis of size.

Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tsjanik View Post
    645D body and lenses are compact.
    Compare camera dimensions side by side

I find the lenses similar in size to their Canon 35mm counterparts e.g. the 645 120mm FA macro (one of the largest for its focal length in the 645 system) and the Canon 100mm macro:

Weight Diam x Length Filter Size Min. Focus

735 g 82.5 x 110mm 67 mm 39.5 in 1x Pentax 120mm

600 g 79x 118 mm 58 mm 36 in. 1x Canon 100mm

I'm sure the D800 is a great camera, but I doubt I would choose it over a 645D and certainly not on the basis of size.

Tom
    Sure,

but in my eyes these are all arguments to justify the 645D system.

Be honest - a 645D body and a D800 body alone are significant in size and weight. Add the size of a say 1.8/50 compared to the 80 from any of the MFD systems and this is the next eye opener. And so on and on and on ....

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I think for the time being, until the D800/D800e is in the hands of capable photographers, especially those that have the opportunity to shoot and compare files taken with the D800e along side such cameras such as the 645D, S2 and/or various other near 40MP MF cameras, it is an exercise in fruition to determine which system has the advantage. Of course among other things, lens selection will play a considerable role in these comparisons as will the intended application. There are just too many variables. One camera may actually end up with showing better acuity in details at low ISO or maybe lose that advantage at higher ISO. One camera or another may have more color depth or dimensionality or represent some subjects with more realism or better color and/or skin tones. We're also of course comparing different sensors (CMOS vs. CCD) and electronics that relate to output. It may be that with certain lenses and settings there is little difference on web viewed images or smaller prints but substantial differences can be seen in large format prints. I know what I observed with the early posted samples and what I liked or didn't like, but I personally will reserve judgement until better and more meaningful comparisons are made.

I've learned a long time ago that numbers alone rarely tell the story when it comes to final image product.

As for portability and other non image related factors, Tom is correct in that many of the AF lenses (from wide angle to 300/400mm) in the Pentax 645 system (for example), may be similar in size to their full frame 35mm Af counterparts for transport consideration, but relative size of lenses and even body size has little consequence unless the system when used with those lenses is the best system chosen for a particular application. If I am shooting fast moving wildlife or pro sports, I'd choose the D800 (even though not a speed demon compared to a D700/D3/D4, some of which I use) every time with appropriate lenses (regardless how big) and yet conversely I would choose my 645D every time for landscape and portrait and macro work, if it turns out that the qualities of the file (as I outlined) continue to stand out and be superior to Nikon DSLR's as it has been up to the present (D800e excluded of course for the time being). It stands to reason that any subject can be tackled with any camera (I've shot some captured wildlife with the 645D), but having the right tool in order to obtain files that achieve a particuar goal in capturing an image, as envisioned, is personally my main consideration and why sometimes I will reach for a D3 or D700, where at other times the 645D is the right choice.

Once the D800e is out there, then let the comparisons (and fireworks) begin, especially that there are so many other tangible and intangible reasons why one will still shoot with one system or another as their main system.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 19th February 2012 at 08:46.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If he took that price, how do you know it was his? Or rather if he got the usual way rather than off the back of a lorry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If he took that price, how do you know it was his? Or rather if he got the usual way rather than off the back of a lorry.
    I don't pretend to know. Original asking price was $52K. Read for yourself: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...ixels-new.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't pretend to know. Original asking price was $52K. Read for yourself: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-f...ixels-new.html
    It may have been sold, but not for the 26k on ebay - reserve not met.

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair, it didn't reach its reserve at $26k so the guy relisted it and (I guess) took a best offer - no idea how much. The couple of IQ180s I have seen sell privately have gone for around the $30k mark (obviously still a big hit on the new price, but less so if it was originally bought with a trade-in).

Post Thanks / Like

No matter how much less these backs sell used, the loss is substantial.

So if you go MFD, then you should either be able to earn the price within short time or do a real good business case for how long you have to use your back.

End of the day MFD is serious business and not something for playing around.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

No matter how much less these backs sell used, the loss is substantial.

So if you go MFD, then you should either be able to earn the price within short time or do a real good business case for how long you have to use your back.

End of the day MFD is serious business and not something for playing around.
    Of course it's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges (or worse), but the original Nikon D1 DSLR (and like every DSLR body after it), which many of us paid exactly $5,000.00 for the D1, now can be easily purchased for $150.00 . Going by the percentage of $$ lost when comparing selling price vs. price paid when purchased new, all digital cameras and backs take a tremendous hit. Some of the loss percentage wise, may be more or less than others, but its always a big investment and likewise a big loss when selling. One can look at the actual amount of total $$ lost, but its also important to keep in mind the percentage amount of $$ lost too. Factors like the amount of use or money made of course also become part of the equation.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Of course it's somewhat like comparing apples to oranges (or worse), but the original Nikon D1 DSLR (and like every DSLR body after it), which many of us paid exactly $5,000.00 for the D1, now can be easily purchased for $150.00 . Going by the percentage of $$ lost when comparing selling price vs. price paid when purchased new, all digital cameras and backs take a tremendous hit. Some of the loss percentage wise, may be more or less than others, but its always a big investment and likewise a big loss when selling. One can look at the actual amount of total $$ lost, but its also important to keep in mind the percentage amount of $$ lost too. Factors like the amount of use or money made of course also become part of the equation.

Dave (D&A)
    Right, but I care more for how much I have lost instead of percentage

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are we even contemplating comparing a 35mm full frame dslr with a MF

camera? The subject at title is ' What lenses for the D800 ?'. Include the

D800E too..please. But comparisons in terms of pixel jargon, sensor sizes,

weight, lenses diffraction limits etc. with any system other than a 35mm FF

does not answer the OP's question. It might be interesting, but really..a MF

and a 35mm FF are 2 different beasts. Irrespective of how many buckets of

pixels each one has.

Would a Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 Makro Planar Version 1 or 2 do justice to the

yet to be available for purchase Nikon D800/D800E sensor ( and vice versa )?

Now that would definitely interest me. I do a bit of travel myself. For fun,

mostly, but I do take photography seriously. And travel plus photography

definitely interests me.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Would a Zeiss ZF 100mm f/2 Makro Planar Version 1 or 2 do justice to the

yet to be available for purchase Nikon D800/D800E sensor ( and vice versa )?
    The D800E doesn't need the same high-acutance optics as the D800 to render fine detail, so has the opportunity to truly shine with lower contrast, high-resolution optics. Without the AA filter it's a subtler tool that doesn't require a hamfisted approach. I think a Mamiya 120 Macro, Leica Macro-R 60, or an AIS 105/2.5 would be more interesting on the D800E than the Z 100MP.

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    Why are we even contemplating comparing a 35mm full frame dslr with a MF

camera?
    Because it lacks an AA filter, so has the opportunity to create a very similar look by using lenses which render that way.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Gale View Post
    Maybe it is premature to speculate but which Nikkor lenses would you expect to be a good match to the D800?
    Hmm. Well, maybe I'm simplistic, but if I were in the market for a D800 or D800e, I'd probably have some lenses already and I'd just try them out before I bought anything else to see how well they performed. I generally don't buy lenses other than at the middle or higher grade quality level so I expect most of my lenses to do just fine.

If I didn't have any Nikon lenses at all, I'd buy a used example of a lens I wanted to use most to start with and see how it performed with the D800 body. If it shone, I'd upgrade that to a new one (if I felt like it) and then think about other options with that experience behind me.

Worrying about and conjecturing about this and that too much gets in the way of making photographs... :-)