The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Pickled pairs and nasty noise

jonoslack

Hi There
I finished work late last night, and when I got back to the house, Emma and Charlie had been making pickled pairs. The light in our kitchen is tricky to say the least, a mixture of tungsten and halogen. i thought I'd give it a go, and here are the results:

ISO 1100 1/15 f6.3 Nikon D700 + 24-70

ISO 200 2 sec f7.1 Nikon D700 + 24-70

That was the second attempt - it was propped on the back of a chair (tripod? what's that!)

The first attempt was: 1/25th sec at ISO 6400 (handheld). It occurred to me immediately that those shadowy browns would be the very worst thing to show the noise, so I employed the chair and changed the ISO.

Here is the first and second attempt next to each other, 1 at 200 ISO, the other at 6400 - no noise reduction (or any other processing) in either case. Of course it's obvious which shot was at 6400 ISO, but hey - it would clean up well, and what's really the point, the colour and DR is still good

I think it shows pretty clearly why people are so impressed with that Nikon sensor.

V

Vivek

Jono, You have to be careful with the choice of your pictures. I can decipher Emma's recipe. I see cloves and allspice there could be one more ingredient it looks like. Post another shot from a slightly different angle and the secret recipe will be in the public domain! :ROTFL:

jonoslack

Jono, You have to be careful with the choice of your pictures. I can decipher Emma's recipe. I see cloves and allspice there could be one more ingredient it looks like. Post another shot from a slightly different angle and the secret recipe will be in the public domain! :ROTFL:
:ROTFL:
Where? I'm completely unable to see the recipe in those shots! Maybe I'm going blind!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Me too. Okay i have to ask pickled as in pickled like pickles. Never heard of such a thing with pears. This i have to try sometime

etrigan63

You guys are killing me. "Pickled Pears" (note spelling) in the UK are known as "Pears in Syrup" in the US. My grandmother used to make them with white wine. I miss her terribly as she passed away 5 years ago at the ripe old age of 95. I think my sister has her recipe.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Here in Texas, I've always heard them called Pickled Pears along with Pickled Watermelon Rind.