The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

d800/ACR/Neat image

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While the internal JPEG does not satisfy me, the ACR conversion is pretty good!

Would be interesting to see the complete image!

Peter

tjv

For the first ACR example, I assume when you say "no noise reduction" both the sliders were set at zero? If so, that's pretty amazing for 6400 ISO and so many megapixels! As for the in camera jpg, well, I guess it's still pre-production firmware and might improve? Not that I've ever shot JPG's...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
For the first ACR example, I assume when you say "no noise reduction" both the sliders were set at zero? If so, that's pretty amazing for 6400 ISO and so many megapixels! As for the in camera jpg, well, I guess it's still pre-production firmware and might improve? Not that I've ever shot JPG's...
I also do not care about JPEGs ....

Sliders in default settings, luminance 0, color 25.
I must say that, looking at sample images posted on Nikon site, I have been very disappointed. Weak files, colors resembling acrylic paint, uncertain details, a sense of inconsistence.
Conversion with ACR dramatically changes the situation. Files look very close
(if only a little less deep) to those that I get from the pentax 645D, and perhaps
with a little less noise at 1600 iso. Beginning to think....

Sergio

tjv

Ah, I see. I didn't think the color slider was zeroed so thanks for clearing that up. Either way, it's still very impressive. The fact that we're analyzing a 6400ISO file and being this critical is saying something about how amazingly far technology has come. I'm looking forward to hearing how this new camera behaves in the wild.

fotografz

As Guy Mancusio and others have pointed out numerous times ... shooting high ISO in decent light is no test of a camera's high ISO ability. Almost any camera will do well. It is in the challenging light where ISO 6400 would be employed that the true ability is revealed.

-Marc

Marc, unfortunately we have only a few samples available. But the following one is in tungsten light at 2200 deg. exposed for the lamps with at significative
underexposure for the ambient. (6400 iso nominal)
Blue channel has been amplified to reach daylight equivalent WB.(this renders the image a little unnatural)
At a print size of 20x30 inches noise is very well controlled (practically not visible) on full field.
Not so bad, I think.

ciick on image and go to "see all sizes"page

DSC_1478acrn by sergio lovisolo, on Flickr

Sergio

D&A

As Guy Mancusio and others have pointed out numerous times ... shooting high ISO in decent light is no test of a camera's high ISO ability. Almost any camera will do well. It is in the challenging light where ISO 6400 would be employed that the true ability is revealed.

-Marc
Absolutely! It's the only way to test for high ISO performance from any camera, especially where unavoidable pockets of significant underexposure in such images exists and can be compared to the entire image taken in challenging light.

Sergio, the ISO 6400 image you just posted looks promising (especially in lower corners) and from the small amount of files at higher Iso's I've seen so far from the D800, I have to say I've been a bit surprised (pleasantly) so far but am looking forward to extensive evaluation when the body is available for testing.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Me too Dave for sure. Totally agree on the tungsten vs noise scenario, simply no better way to tell and more important than anything it's tungsten light we are usually pushing the ISO hard anyway. Looking forward to testing this cam out no question as I am already buying glass and supplies in anticipation of it. I'm ready to go , let's hope NIkon is US friendly on shipment allotment. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW it does look promising but after ISO 3200 I really don't care as I would not be shooting that high anyway. I come from shooting Kodachrome with a max of ISO 80. Now that was a challenge. This stuff is a walk in the park now. ROTFLMAO

D&A

BTW it does look promising but after ISO 3200 I really don't care as I would not be shooting that high anyway. I come from shooting Kodachrome with a max of ISO 80. Now that was a challenge. This stuff is a walk in the park now. ROTFLMAO
LOL...yes, I recall the days when ISO 200 was a real eye opener and wondered how I ever got along with any ISO less than it :) I guess it's all relative.

Funny, but now some complain if ISO 128,000 isn't clean!

To be fair, it's of course easier to work with the lower ISO's when good lighting of some sort is employed, but for those shooting fast moving (indoor) performing arts, when the lighting at times is extremely low and a high enough shutter speed is manditory, the higher ISO's can certainly be a savior.

As for Nikon releasing bodies fast enough....if past history is any indicator...the Pro bodies like the D1 thru D3 series were first released in drips and drabs in order to get feedback from pro's if there were any glitches that could quickly be addressed in early production. It was usually in Dec. and a dealer might receive 1-3 bodies prior to the New Year. Bodies like the D200/D300/D700 were released in relatively large #'s all at once. I'm guessing it's going to be the latter case with regards to the D800.

Dave (D&A)