The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Updated deliver status D800/D800E/D4

Tim Ernst

I just got home and opened the box. The camera looks quite a bit different than the regular d800 I've been shooting for a few weeks - it has a small e on the front. I'm going to shoot some pinpoint stars tonight before hitting the road, and that may be all that I shoot for a while with it (my main reason for getting it). My local camera store is Bedfords.com, but they also have sold a lot of d800s via their online store, and delivered 40-something already, but this was their first E. Great folks to deal with...

Tim Ernst

Hey Jan, it's the cheapest digital camera I've purchased in many years by a long shot (except for the d800 last month), so you might want to grab a different camera bag out of the van with a more expensive body in it first!

bensonga

Heard from my dealer today that only limited supplies of the D800E bodies are being delivered now and only to NPS members. I'm not an NPS guy (strictly amateur), so will continue to wait patiently. In the meantime....I look forward to hearing what the NPS members here (Tim!) think of the D800E. :)

Gary

R

richard.L

trying to determine the "return" rate (?) -- hit the 'paid' members club first.

I hope they aren't building these in 2 full redundant lines, but in 'fork' style, so they can increase throughput of both models.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The first D800E vs IQ180 test shot soon online then ?
Hope so ! ;-)
Me too! The delivery was received at the dealers too late to be processed for distribution to customers today so I'll pick it up tomorrow and then grin through gritted teeth through a family birthday weekend during the course of which I won't get a chance to get stuck in to the E...

weinschela

Subscriber Member
How did you guys get 800e's?

Here's my updated delivery status: I'm still sitting here empty-handed after ordering early Feb. My local dealer has not yet seen a D800E and only three 800's. I'm not NPS so have no dibs anywhere and Nikon is not saying anything to anyone. Frustrated. Great gnashing going on. Giving dealer grief but knowing it is not his problem. Anyone have a magic potion?

tashley

Subscriber Member
Wish I could help... I ordered mine on Feb 7th and was high in the queue at my dealer... and they got I think three or four.

R

richard.L

the first Es are all in the pipe... the second batch of AA 800s should be at shops this week thru next weds...
there was a ceremony at plant thanking everyone for getting full production up.
the 800's should be in big supply over the next 6 weeks.

I still think the Es are being released slowly, testing the acceptance level.

Try general discount and electronics stores -- places you wouldn't call photo ...

Steve Fines

BestBuy online had D800's for a while today, but they sold out quickly. They also had D4's but it appears those have sold out as well.

I picked up a D4 last week and man is it fun. 11fps, killer autofocus and a 100+ raw buffer before slowing down. With it I've gotten some tkd, bird and kid shots that I would not have with any other camera I've used.

Introspection time - a few years ago I showed up at a "Landscape" workshop with a new just released 16mp 1Dsmk2. Boy was I hot s**t. This thing made obsolete all the 11mp 1Ds's that other folks had.

Now I've got a 16mp camera that shoots cleaner files than the 1Dsmk2 at iso 12,800 while doing 11fps. The two 16x20's I've done look fine to me. Do I really need that D800? Wavering......

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Updates .....D4 s are arriving starting Monday this week . Received non NPS orders placed in January at BH and March at Amazon this week . I am keeping one and shipping the other to a world famous fashion photographer in Jupiter FL . (he will owe me a huge favor ). The D4 ..devil will be in the details ...so close to a D3S /X body you would have to look twice . Some weaknesses in use of buttons dials instead of menu compared to the D3S (required changes for video improvements ) . Significantly better LCD ....who knows on the image quality . New batteries,cards (faster) ,screen protectors only the magnifier works . Free SQX card but no NX2 .

D800E shipments arrived monday and yesterday at brick and mortar dealers . NPS buddy sending me one today . Wait list at strong B&M dealer ...83 for the 800E . If you have an NPS number start calling . Grip allows you to share D4 battery .

bensonga

One (and only one) D800E arrived at the local Anchorage shop (Stewart's Photo) yesterday. I'm next on the list. Hopefully, Nikon will ship a second E north to Alaska this month.

Gary