The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D4 Low Light Field Test

Steve Fines

Hi - that was fun to watch. Thanks.

The buffer depth there is really something else.

I wish in post you had put in some actual pixel or at least much tighter screen shots. So often a pic looks in focus on the LCD but then on the big monitor you find that it was "almost".

fultonpics

so i shot my D4 for first time last night--a shark/red wings nhl game for my agency. 5 mins into first period i finally figured out that focus was set to AF-S, oops. then being old school D3, i looked for the flip switch setting on the front--hey, it doesn't give you the choice until you figure out you have to hold the button down and roll the wheel--happiness at last. maybe a "real" photographer would have tested out the camera first instead of during a fast paced game situation.

shot the game on ice at 3200 and took some bench seat shots at 6000--yep 6000 good enough to send an 8 x 10 300 dpi up to the server. Not great, but would do fine on a major website if they need it. so the point is, don't under estimate what you can do with this thing in low light--especially if your shots are going to web/editorial.

the focus is KILLER. at both iso speeds this camera tracks!! single focus point and out of 800 shots, only a very few off focus (user error for sure). needless to say, I loved my D3 cameras, but this one is big time is amazing--not to mention video.

TCSJordan

Cannot help myself, but what do you call so much Low Light in this test ????
The light went from dusk to completely dark during the course of filming. There were several street lights around the park, but light was extremely low.
To hit the ideal shutter speed of 1/60th with my camcorder, second I was shooting at 2500 ISO, with my lens wide open at F1.4.

Looking at the light in the last 2/3rds of the video, I think you'd be hard pressed to not call it an extreme low-light shoot, especially with the speed of the action.