Site Sponsors
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikon D800 First Blush

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

Thanks Uwe, but when I Click on the link I get a big page of jumbled code. Would love to see the RAW! eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    I don't have a newer 85mm lens but use the 105mm f/2.8 VR. Here is a raw file close to infinity:

http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/publ...4D800_0439.NEF

The link may expire in some days.

This is a cropped version:

Sorry for the large copyright mark. But this is a link to my Field Report gallery with also higher resolution versions. Download the Raw and try yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

>Thanks Uwe, but when I Click on the link I get a big page of jumbled code.

This is a raw. Your browser acts up. Try to use a Save As dialog. Use a different browser.

Here is the zipped version:

http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/publ...0_0439.NEF.zip
    Last edited by ustein; 6th April 2012 at 10:31.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Gary,
    You may be right, but when I look at very large images then I'm not so impressed: http://www.naturalart.ca/images/test...24_FullRes.jpg
    Just too much CA for my taste. Also the loss in sharpness post f8 is disconcerting.
    At the moment I'm sticking to my HB - and if anybody wants to trade their CFV-50 for a D800 - just contact me
    Have a good Easter up north!
    S
    Swissblad, I don't think that image is a good example of post processing, not that I would trust Zoom lenses on such a camera, except maybe by the 14-24.
    Try looking at the images posted in this thread. ACH

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Swissblad View Post
    Gary,
    At the moment I'm sticking to my HB - and if anybody wants to trade their CFV-50 for a D800 - just contact me
    S
    No, no....me first!

Actually, the MF digital backs I had in mind were the older 16-28mp HB, Phase, Leaf etc which might have sold for $3-5k in the pre-D800/D800E market. Knowing that I can use my HB lenses on the D800E, plus all the good Nikon AF glass, Zeiss ZF etc etc.....would I personally buy my used CFV-16II or similar backs for $4k today? Probably not. I just think the D800/D800E is a real bargain, all things considered.

Listen to me.....talking down the value of my own gear!

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post
    Swissblad, I don't think that image is a good example of post processing, not that I would trust Zoom lenses on such a camera, except maybe by the 14-24.
    Don't take my comments too seriously.... truth is I also want one...

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,
    Thanks again for all the efforts and information, just one question:
    Is the quality of 2x2 stitch with 85 mm comparable to IQ 160.
    ________
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will do and thanks again! eleanor

>Thanks Uwe, but when I Click on the link I get a big page of jumbled code.

This is a raw. Your browser acts up. Try to use a Save As dialog. Use a different browser.

Here is the zipped version:

http://jirvana.outbackphoto.com/publ...0_0439.NEF.zip

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by manouch shirzad View Post
    Guy,
    Thanks again for all the efforts and information, just one question:
    Is the quality of 2x2 stitch with 85 mm comparable to IQ 160.
    ________
    Manouch
    It would get closer but even when I cropped from the 160 to D800 3:2 ratio the Phase had more detail. It's the micro detail is what would count here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guy
    A quick question if I may. I notice in post 23 you said, "Okay I had a bad feeling on those files posted and after a check my 14-24 is off by minus -14". I've just got my D800, 35mm f1.4 and 14-24mm zoom. The 35mm is bitingly sharp but it looks like my zoom is soft as well.
    How did you determine the 'minus 14'? Is this something we can do ourselves or does it need to be returned to the dealer or Nikon?

I'll also join the other voices saying thanks for this thread and the fascinating contributions here!
    Olaf

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I did was mount camera on tripod about let's say 4ft high pick a subject at a angle like a corner of a table and focus at wide open with a single AF point and see if it targets the front part of it. Than if back focused it will mean start going in the minus direction until you zero in on it. See if I can give you a sample image of something to use for this
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not the greatest example but something like this

See i focused on the vertical wood this way I can see if I am hitting in front of it or in back of it. So something like this angle to determine that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lot of folks would also use a yardstick to do a similar task. Focus on a number for instance.

Post Thanks / Like

OK got it.
    Thanks Guy!
    Testing tomorrow....

Workshop & Subscriber Member manouch shirzad's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a lot Guy.
    _______
    Manouch

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manouch I think this cam is for your type of work. Something to try if you can

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy, Steen and others, Great thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

Thanks, Vivek, it's been a pleasure

I am impressed by this new camera, but at the same time I think it is important to mention that I do find it rather difficult to handhold.

Not a minor problem in my opinion (though of course it's me being the problem, not the camera).

Any camera shake seems to be revealed by this high resolution and so far I have trashed a lot of captures because of that.

I'm doing better with my F3 cameras ...

Post Thanks / Like

>Any camera shake seems to be revealed by this high resolution and so far I have trashed a lot of captures because of that.

That is why I like VR lenses. I know you pay the price with not so great quality by some zooms. The 105mm Macro being an exception. I had mine no on the tripod yet (except for a video tests). May also not be that picky for sharpness though.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An aspect that hasn't been discussed much so far is the dual personality FX/DX. For my own photography I could see the need for DX 16 MPx in social settings, using much cheaper DX glass. Any comments? Is the viewfinder frame good enough for DX shooting?

Post Thanks / Like

>For my own photography I could see the need for DX 16 MPx in social settings, using much cheaper DX glass. Any comments? Is the viewfinder frame good enough for DX shooting?

This is a crop and the pixels are still small but of course it uses more the center of the frame. I think the viewfinder frame is ok.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Thanks, Vivek, it's been a pleasure

I am impressed by this new camera, but at the same time I think it is important to mention that I do find it rather difficult to handhold.

Not a minor problem in my opinion (though of course it's me being the problem, not the camera).

Any camera shake seems to be revealed by this high resolution and so far I have trashed a lot of captures because of that.

I'm doing better with my F3 cameras ...
    Have you translated this to required shutter speeds?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I just point out that there is exactly the same average amount, per lens, of shake on a full frame sensor regardless of resolution so it doesn't make real sense to suddenly be trashing a higher proportion of shots. All that's happening is that at a pixel level the shake is being revealed by that extra resolution. But if you downsize the frame to the same resolution as your 'old camera that didn't show the shake so much', either by looking at lower zoom on screen, by downresing, or by printing to the same size you used to print, you won't see an increase in the number of shakey shots at all...

So what a higher res camera means is that for those shots where your really get your technique right, you get a 'better' file. For everything else, you are actually no worse off.
    Last edited by tashley; 9th April 2012 at 04:33.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, so long as the edge contrast remains comparable with the lower resolution originals. Your down-res algorithm may produce edges with lower contrast from the softer hi-res file if there are tones rendered between what should be sharp edges.

But generally your point about shake rendering at the same absolute size holds true. It's pixel peeping that gets you.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

Tim, I guess Graham is right, it's probably me being an incurable pixel peeper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

Lars, I haven't tested where my approximate limit is with regards to handholding such a high resolution camera.

But I think I have managed to ruin captures with camera shake even by using shutter speeds 3 times the focal length.

I'm aware that I'm an old dog and I no longer have a steady hand, but I'm curious to hear other D800 shooters experiences with this ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steen, Excellent point about the shake ruining the details. Having become an exclusive live view shooter, I would ask you to try the live view. If you can capture the details you "see" then that is it.

It could also turn out to be a frustrating exercise (especially while doing macros)!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

This all reminds me of the early Nikon pro DSLR bodies and specifically their 80-400 VR lens. Many years ago when that lens was 1st released, many maveled at its very decent performance for such a wide range telezoom (at that time). Shortly after the len's introduction, Nikon released a higher pixel resolution camera (going from 2.7 MP to 6MP) and immediately there were hundreds of posts how the new camera with this lens was possibly defective. People who would get decent shots at 400mm hand held (with VR) woud find slight blurriness to their images with the high resolution camera and yet their were using the same exact shutter speeds with both. After a time, the hypothesis was then the density and size of the pixels had changed and somehow this was responsible for many shots loosing their edge in sharpness with the new camera vs. the old. At the time, it was called "digital smear". Of course quickly over time, the reasoning behind all this became well know but its interesting that the theiry behind all this hasn't changed. Believe me, many including Pro's were a bit stumped at the time when it was first observed and higher shutter speeds of course was the instant fix in most cases.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Totally agree Dave. After a couple weeks even after a day it was use with care attached to it. Little room for being sloppy in your technique. My word of caution don't leave home without your tripod or a better mindset on better shooting technique.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post

Hi everybody. Im a new member. Share this forum with you is a pleasure for me.
    Ive been thinking in buying the D800e with the 24-70g; 50 1.8 (ive got it) and the 105 2.8, to replace my canon 7d (15-85) -social events and parties- and my pentax 67 II (45, 105, 135 and 300) -landscapes and architecture, and eventually portraits-. Dont you think the 24-70 is good enough for the d800e? Actually I cant afford all of the lenses I would like with the new system (24-70; 105 2.8, and: 14-24; 24 1.4g; 50 1.4g, and 85 1.4 g).
    Thanks for your advise

Gustavo..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Dont you think the 24-70 is good enough for the d800e?
    I'm waiting for one right now. Sample pictures made with the 800 / 24-70 on Nikon's site look stunning. I've printed a couple.

Only caveat is that at 24mm it has a fair amount of field curvature, so the corners may look soft if you're shooting flat subjects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One reason I went with the 14-24 is the least amount of distortion at 24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

I'm aware that I'm an old dog and I no longer have a steady hand, but I'm curious to hear other D800 shooters experiences with this ?
    Very interesting point.

Post Thanks / Like

>I'm aware that I'm an old dog and I no longer have a steady hand, but I'm curious to hear other D800 shooters experiences with this ?

1. I did not a single tripod shot so far with the D800 but neither may any of my shots be sharp enough for you (can't say who is the older us two)
    2. But I use VR or IS in these cases and stay at higher shutter speeds
    3. These 36MP show any minor motion blur and out of focus issue (I live with it)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Although not scientific, I have noticed a number of my shots at shutter speeds I felt comfortable with shooting were not tack sharp. I first thought it was mis-focusing issues but as I could visualize some of the really sharp images--- that I did get, I realized it was the whole image was affected not just the focus point. I think part of the reason is that i was using a canon 24-105mm IS and now the nikon 24-70 as my walk around lens and clearly IS may play a big role here. However, even with the IS vs VR lenses-- I still have the impression I have a slightly higher mis-rate with the Nikon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well that could just be a simple matter of putting to much stock in VR in your approach. Like thinking you have two extra stops of speed than pushing it to the edge if you know what I mean. Also you could be getting motion in a direction that maybe VRs week spot . Let's say for example and not sure of this but VR maybe more tuned to a vertical movement cause usually that is the area of concern but your moving horizontally. Just some thoughts here but a good rule of thumb is don't give up our roots of knowledge we learned without these gizmos.

Post Thanks / Like

>now the nikon 24-70 as my walk around lens and clearly IS may play a big role here.

IS makes a big difference. I hardly would use the 24-70mm handheld unless with pretty high shutter speeds (especially not on the D800).
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

>Like thinking you have two extra stops of speed than pushing it to the edge if you know what I mean

I kind of think like one f-stop and apply a shutter speed as 1/(2xfocal) or even faster.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just to add on you need to look at fine tuning your AF. This whole thread started with my posting a couple images and I am off with back focusing on them. That lens took a correction of minus 14 too the next morning when I realized it was out. That was the 14-24 and my 180 was off as well. All this can lead to issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

>Like thinking you have two extra stops of speed than pushing it to the edge if you know what I mean

I kind of think like one f-stop and apply a shutter speed as 1/(2xfocal) or even faster.

That's good thinking. Keep your expectations low

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    . . . or has anyone tried using Aperture - which now supports the D800 and D800E?
    As a regular Aperture user, I've downloaded Steen's NEF files, and have to say, they are pretty impressive - especially the level of detail!

I've no idea how these files compare to ACR or NEX2, with regard to colour fidelity etc.

At any rate, I can see a D800 on the shopping list!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

that's good to hear, Swissblad, here's a couple more to play with for those patiently waiting to get their D800

this time real life shots from a little trip to London

first the possibility to investigate the image rendering on a totally overcast late afternoon with dark, heavy clouds ...

Link to the RAW file

80A_0382_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (9.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G 14 bit 1/30 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 Lightroom 4

... while this one is in early morning sunlight

Link to the RAW file

80A_0451_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (9.3 Mb)

Nikon D800 AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G 14 bit 1/100 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 Lightroom 4

Post Thanks / Like

Steen,

love the second one. Nearly too sharp :-). Tripod I guess?
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

(...) Tripod I guess?

you bet

both of them

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely. Both are great shots and test cases for best raw processing.

Would be interesting how they would look at f/5.6.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon D800 First Blush

I do have this f/5.6 shot from more or less the same angle, Uwe, but the lighting is now totally different (sunset)

and besides the original capture is a bit overexposed, still it's funny with the boat

link to the RAW file

80A_0355_85mm_G_iso100_14bit.NEF

click for native sized jpeg (8.9 Mb)

Nikon D800 AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G 14 bit 1/6 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 Lightroom 4

Post Thanks / Like

I like the cranes and the whole scene. Likely better results from the f/8 shots.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi folks just made a announcement for our upcoming workshop with the Nikon D800 as the instructors main tools. Come learn your new cam

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/...tml#post406972

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I did finally get the chance to shoot the new 50 1.8 G which the cost on this is really low like 229.00. Well don't let the cost fool ya its pretty damn sharp.
    Looks like a real winner (along with the 85 further downthread)!

I wonder what other bargain lenses will shine on this body?

DH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhazeghi View Post
    Looks like a real winner (along with the 85 further downthread)!

I wonder what other bargain lenses will shine on this body?

DH
    Amazon: Usually ships within 1 to 2 months.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Steen;406872]
    that's good to hear, Swissblad, here's a couple more to play with for those patiently waiting to get their D800

this time real life shots from a little trip to London

Tusen tak, Steen - lovely shots to play with.

Will check it out in CS5 as well.