Site Sponsors
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 300 of 729

Thread: Nikon D800 First Blush

  1. #251
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Even though I am not crazy about the program itself the files look a lot better than ACR.

    ....and that's been the problem ever since Capture was first released (for NEF files). It's always been able to extract the best from NEF's but unfortunately for some shooters, at too high a cost with it's infrigment on time required for processing files and it's interface. It's interface has always been cludgy (hey did I spell that right?) although it's gotten better with each successive generation, and processing file(s) used to take eons...but that's been improved too, yet for some these issues still exist. It's fine when one has a limited # of files to process, but if the job has hundreds of files or more, out comes the ACR . The best analogy I could come up with is this: you know that awful tasting medicine you had to take as a kid? You knew it would it was good for you and would make you feel better, but yet you still hated taking it! For me that's "Capture"...LOL!

    Guy, the files you re-posted with Capture do appear to be better and this even comes through at screen resolution although I've found with Capture it's easy to slightly over-sharpen.

    As for the 180mm, you might have gotten one of the better samples. Out of all the lenses you mentioned you obtained, the 180 was in my opinion the biggest concern as many samples I tested just fell short when used on high MP cameras like the D3x. Even on 12MP D3s, I though some others lenses in similar focal length range eclipsed it's performance by a considerable margin.

    Thanks for posting your images and thoughts. Your preliminary observations are very informative and helpful, as were Steen's and others who have done the same.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th March 2012 at 07:40.

  2. #252
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to see as I'll be using the 24-120 f4 as the 'normal' lens on my D800 when I get it – at least initially.

    I may go for Zeiss primes eventually, or the 24-70 f2.8 when (if?) it gets upgraded with VR2 etc.
    I may certainly be in the minority (and opinions vary greatly with many), but there are two Nikon lenses (zooms) that I personally felt performance fell far short of what I was expecting/hoping for, especially for what they cost. These are the latest 24-120 f4 and 16-35 VR, but for somewhat different reasons. I can see excellent sharpness in the 16-35 VR at its wide end where it would do fine on the D800 save for the excessive distortions at/near 16-19mm, which for complex subjects (and subsequent distortion correction) with large # of files, simply wasn't an attractive or workable option. Nikon I believe wanted improved sharpness at 16mm over the 17-35 f2.8 at 17mm, so excessive barral distortion unfortunately was a consequence.

    I recently tested a # of samples of the 24-120 f4 (latest version) for use as a "walk around" and as long as not shooting subjects that are complex in nature, at the wider end of its zoom range, distortion correction is pretty straight forward. The other issue for me personally, was it's overall relative performance on the edges/sides (save for focal lenghts above approx 65mm). It wasn't bad but wasn't what I hoped for either. Sort of middle of the road in parts of the frame. Again this is a wider range constant aperture zoom and compromises have to be made. I felt even a superb sample of Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 lens ran rings around the current 24-120 f4 but again its range is considerably shorter. Yet if looking for a high performance relatively light/small walk around lens where high(er) performance is required for a high MP camera, a really good sample of the 28-75 f2.8 offered not too much optical compromise relative to larger Nikon pro glass.

    I'm only mentioning these observations as obviously even a decent lens might look alright on a D800, but if extracting max. performance is desired, lens selection becomes all that more important.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th March 2012 at 07:34.

  3. #253
    Subscriber Member tashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South of England
    Posts
    3,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Just playing around yesterday with my 85 and 35 lenses and I used Capture NX2 to process these.
    Thanks a bundle Guy. These files look SERIOUSLY good. Capture NX is included with the D800E so maybe I'll just have to get used to it... I can see it'll be like so many other cameras... LR is Mission Control for import and catalogue but the Picks get sent to whatever native program is best before ending up as TIFF in LR....

    I am so looking forward to whenever my D800E arrives. This is the first time I've ever bought glass in advance of an anticipated camera...

  4. #254
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    760
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    I have been shooting canon and I can say that the Nikon 24-70 is so much better than any of the Canon zooms in the same focal range. Canon's new 24-70 when released should be an improvement (or it should because of the cost). I am impressed with the image sharpness obtained with the nikon 24-70 corners. There is a bit of distortion at both the wide and tele end but it is nicely corrected in Lightroom. Moreover, the Nikon 14-24 is superb. I have never experienced such an outstanding wide zoom. I have read mixed opinions of the Nikon 24-120 but perhaps you should trade in the 16-35 and 24-120 for the Nikon 24-70 and 14-24. I had similar experiences with the Tamron for Canon---

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I may certainly be in the minority (and opinions vary greatly with many), but there are two Nikon lenses (zooms) that I personally felt performance fell far short of what I was expecting/hoping for, especially for what they cost. These are the latest 24-120 f4 and 16-35 VR, but for somewhat different reasons. I can see excellent sharpness in the 16-35 VR at its wide end where it would do fine on the D800 save for the excessive distortions at/near 16-19mm, which for complex subjects (and subsequent distortion correction) with large # of files, simply wasn't an attractive or workable option. Nikon I believe wanted improved sharpness at 16mm over the 17-35 f2.8 at 17mm, so excessive barral distortion unfortunately was a consequence.

    I recently tested a # of samples of the 24-120 f4 (latest version) for use as a "walk around" and as long as not shooting subjects that are complex in nature, at the wider end of its zoom range, distortion correction is pretty straight forward. The other issue for me personally, was it's overall relative performance on the edges/sides (save for focal lenghts above approx 65mm). It wasn't bad but wasn't what I hoped for either. Sort of middle of the road in parts of the frame. Again this is a wider range constant aperture zoom and compromises have to be made. I felt even a superb sample of Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 lens ran rings around the current 24-120 f4 but again its range is considerably shorter. Yet if looking for a high performance relatively light/small walk around lens where high(er) performance is required for a high MP camera, a really good sample of the 28-75 f2.8 offered not too much optical compromise relative to larger Nikon pro glass.

    I'm only mentioning these observations as obviously even a decent lens might look alright on a D800, but if extracting max. performance is desired, lens selection becomes all that more important.

    Dave (D&A)

  5. #255
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    ....and that's been the problem ever since Capture was first released (for NEF files). It's always been able to extract the best from NEF's but unfortunately for some shooters, at too high a cost with it's infrigment on time required for processing files and it's interface. It's interface has always been cludgy (hey did I spell that right?) although it's gotten better with each successive generation, and processing file(s) used to take eons...but that's been improved too, yet for some these issues still exist. It's fine when one has a limited # of files to process, but if the job has hundreds of files or more, out comes the ACR . The best analogy I could come up with is this: you know that awful tasting medicine you had to take as a kid? You knew it would it was good for you and would make you feel better, but yet you still hated taking it! For me that's "Capture"...LOL!

    Guy, the files you re-posted with Capture do appear to be better and this even comes through at screen resolution although I've found with Capture it's easy to slightly over-sharpen.

    As for the 180mm, you might have gotten one of the better samples. Out of all the lenses you mentioned you obtained, the 180 was in my opinion the biggest concern as many samples I tested just fell short when used on high MP cameras like the D3x. Even on 12MP D3s, I though some others lenses in similar focal length range eclipsed it's performance by a considerable margin.

    Thanks for posting your images and thoughts. Your preliminary observations are very informative and helpful, as were Steen's and others who have done the same.

    Dave (D&A)
    Yes Dave i am noticing the slightly over sharpened looks too, its good but just a touch to much. I'm looking at my menu items now and seeing if i have some camera sharpening on with the raws and than look at Capture and see under pic. controls whats going on . The files look overall better for sure but like to knock that sharpening down a touch more or turn off and do it myself. Yea Yea yea RTFM i know . LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  6. #256
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I went back into Capture NX and played around a little and from what I am seeing is it does do a better job with the file itself. Still playing but this looks pretty good.
    I like the NX versione quite a bit better.

    The ACR images seem to have reddish flat browns for example, the NX file looks more natural but also more powerfull to me.

  7. #257
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Looking at the meta data I have in Picture controls sharpening at 3 so it looks like the raws are getting tagged. Damnit
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  8. #258
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Okay found the darn default for sharpening in camera was set at 3 apparently this is getting carried over to NX so I will go fix that in the converter. I wish these camera folks would just turn all this crap off in camera and let us go from zero. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #259
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Okay you can apply picture control settings from camera in NX and the ability to turn off and on as well. But 2 looked pretty good but I set it to 1 and turned it off.

    Need to remember folks that the default in camera is 3 and it does get applied to the raws but you can turn off picture controls in NX. So be aware of that when you get your cams they have the default at 3
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  10. #260
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy,

    Now that you're getting good color from the Nikon software, do you have any comparisons of Reds on the IQ160 and D800? I'm assuming that store is Orange.

    Matt

  11. #261
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Let me work on that today for sure.

    Folks I am just about to post another full frame phase and full frame Nikon back a page so will go in and edit so its all together. POST 234 has been revised please revisit that
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  12. #262
    Member jlancasterd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Garndolbenmaen, Wales
    Posts
    164
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I may certainly be in the minority (and opinions vary greatly with many), but there are two Nikon lenses (zooms) that I personally felt performance fell far short of what I was expecting/hoping for, especially for what they cost. These are the latest 24-120 f4 and 16-35 VR, but for somewhat different reasons. I can see excellent sharpness in the 16-35 VR at its wide end where it would do fine on the D800 save for the excessive distortions at/near 16-19mm, which for complex subjects (and subsequent distortion correction) with large # of files, simply wasn't an attractive or workable option. Nikon I believe wanted improved sharpness at 16mm over the 17-35 f2.8 at 17mm, so excessive barral distortion unfortunately was a consequence.

    I recently tested a # of samples of the 24-120 f4 (latest version) for use as a "walk around" and as long as not shooting subjects that are complex in nature, at the wider end of its zoom range, distortion correction is pretty straight forward. The other issue for me personally, was it's overall relative performance on the edges/sides (save for focal lenghts above approx 65mm). It wasn't bad but wasn't what I hoped for either. Sort of middle of the road in parts of the frame. Again this is a wider range constant aperture zoom and compromises have to be made. I felt even a superb sample of Tamron's 28-75 f2.8 lens ran rings around the current 24-120 f4 but again its range is considerably shorter. Yet if looking for a high performance relatively light/small walk around lens where high(er) performance is required for a high MP camera, a really good sample of the 28-75 f2.8 offered not too much optical compromise relative to larger Nikon pro glass.

    I'm only mentioning these observations as obviously even a decent lens might look alright on a D800, but if extracting max. performance is desired, lens selection becomes all that more important.

    Dave (D&A)
    The distortion in images from either the 24-120 f4 or the 16-35 f4 doesn't bother me too much because it is so easily corrected using the Lens Correction tab in LR4
    John L Dobson
    Editor, Ffestiniog Railway Magazine

  13. #263
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Agreed -- the distortion corrections are very easy, so a non-issue. On the performance of the 24-120, I hear what you're saying, but for me this remains an impressive single walk-around lens -- great range and very good optical performance.

    Honestly, as "bad" as you think the corners are, they're still better than any of the older "AF-D" primes in that range.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  14. #264
    Subscriber Member weinschela's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New York suburb
    Posts
    458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy, looking at the images in post 234, I would agree with you on the fine detail rendering of the MF vs the Nikon, but if you look at the windows and what is inside them, the DR of the Nikon is rendering more shadow detail. Is that possible? Did the light change or am I missing something? I have a 800E on order but won't see it for a while so have to be a voyeur.
    Last edited by weinschela; 30th March 2012 at 19:13.
    Alan

    Selection of work: http://weinschela.zenfolio.com

  15. #265
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy, a question for clarification.

    To understand clearly, you stepped back with a comparable focal over your IQ160 to try and capture similar images from 36MP on both sensors. What this does not show is what the extra 24MP you tossed from your IQ160 would do for the image. Did you by any chance shot a comparable framing with the IQ at full resolution? If you have it, it might be interesting to see the impact of the extra 67% of pixels do for that image...

    (PS: As for DR, I know you can pull the shadows of the MF file up considerably in C1, especially if you used film standard instead of film extra shadow curve.)
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  16. #266
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    I shot two clearly different images on the Phase. One I was back further and than cropped in to the Nikon dimensions. That is the first set

    After my edit ( the last 4 images posted) I used the second Phase image at a full 60mpx at the SAME framing of the Nikon. Also the crops of the Phase will be tighter than the Nikon so the Phase represents the full 60 mpx full frame and the full frame 100 percent crop.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  17. #267
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    As far as DR do not go by this I lifted the shadows of the Nikon a considerable amount. More a detail test than anything. ACR brings in the Nikon at a 5 point black point which is WAY too much right out of the gate. Its simply not accurate. We really can't determine DR right now until we can use a program that will do both files together in the same program. Most raw processors there is a big variance in this and also in color. So until we can accurately get them in the same processors its really a guessing game.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  18. #268
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I shot two clearly different images on the Phase. One I was back further and than cropped in to the Nikon dimensions. That is the first set

    After my edit ( the last 4 images posted) I used the second Phase image at a full 60mpx at the SAME framing of the Nikon. Also the crops of the Phase will be tighter than the Nikon so the Phase represents the full 60 mpx full frame and the full frame 100 percent crop.
    Okay, you went back and edited your past on the previous page and added the new comparison -- duh. I see it now, did not see it before, had not gone back to yesterday's post because I had already read it!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  19. #269
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy,

    looking to your comparison shots - BTW many thanks for doing that - I simply find the differences between the D800 and IQ160 (I guess) pretty small, marginal and academic.

    Sorry if I do not make lot of friends by speaking out what I feel.

    And BTW I expect any HB back comparison to end up in the same area.

    Peter

  20. #270
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Its a little hard to see web based but the tonal range, fine micro detail and things MF is known for are obvious. The Nikon is very very good and threading very close but its really not there but I'm pretty pleased with it. Obviously it will give the 22 mpx a little run since it is closer to those backs as far as look in micro detail and such. Admittedly we are early in the game here and more testing is needed but we really need to be using the same programs for real accuracy. Question is what program is favorable to both cameras.

    Peter I know what your asking and the answer is no. Keep your Hassy but certainly think about the Nikon too in your bag. I know the million dollar question here and honestly I can't give up my MF stuff its just too damn good but I am embracing the Nikon to fill the gaps and very glad I upgraded my 35 system to the D800
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  21. #271
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Peter, I guess one man's small is another man's large


    Seriously, I see a fairly significant difference, especially if you go back and look at what he added this morning -- a lot more file to print from. I will hold off color and tonality comments because we don't have the Capture Software figured out yet, but I think it is pretty obvious it needs to get significantly better for Nikon to be in the same league as the MF capture.

    Just comparing file qualities, I think this D800 gives a 9u MF sensor a good run for it's money, and maybe even the few generation old P30+ and Hassy equivalent with micro-lenses. But once you step into comparable resolution MF territory even from a few generations ago, I do not see the D800 being in the same league. Not saying it's bad cause it isn't, it is clearly quite excellent and the best thing going in full-frame 35mm DSLR.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  22. #272
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Peter, I guess one man's small is another man's large


    Seriously, I see a fairly significant difference, especially if you go back and look at what he added this morning -- a lot more file to print from. I will hold off color and tonality comments because we don't have the Capture Software figured out yet, but I think it is pretty obvious it needs to get significantly better for Nikon to be in the same league as the MF capture.
    Agreed I'm very pleased and we can't truly compare some things until the same software is used but it is still clear MF has its place and will not lose it anytime soon. But if you do buy the Nikon like anything else I can clearly advice of getting the best glass in front of it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  23. #273
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Its a little hard to see web based but the tonal range, fine micro detail and things MF is known for are obvious. The Nikon is very very good and threading very close but its really not there but I'm pretty pleased with it. Obviously it will give the 22 mpx a little run since it is closer to those backs as far as look in micro detail and such. Admittedly we are early in the game here and more testing is needed but we really need to be using the same programs for real accuracy. Question is what program is favorable to both cameras.

    Peter I know what your asking and the answer is no. Keep your Hassy but certainly think about the Nikon too in your bag. I know the million dollar question here and honestly I can't give up my MF stuff its just too damn good but I am embracing the Nikon to fill the gaps and very glad I upgraded my 35 system to the D800
    I for myself have decided to keep my Hassy anyway. Simply because I love to work with it.

    I think you are right that you cannot see a del difference on a small computer screen. Would really love to compare big size prints from both - D800 and MFD.

  24. #274
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    When I get back home I will put up the 2 Phase captures and the Nikon capture in raws and post a link to them for folks to play with.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  25. #275
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Vivek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    13,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Steen, Thanks for the post at f/5.6.

    Have you got any of the f/1.2 lenses? If so, any samples at f/1.2?

  26. #276
    Senior Member Antonio Chagin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Miami-Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    476
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Well I finally install Capture NX2 and did compare with ACR.
    Color are better and more natural with Capture NX2.
    Sharpening came out a lot better with ACR and I mean a lot..
    Then try converting with out sharpening in [email protected] and then doing it in PS and did not came out right.
    I rather do it in ACR and work on the reds with an action in PS selective colors....
    Just my opinion.
    ACH

  27. #277
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Varese Italy
    Posts
    226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Agree, had the same results. Not to speak of very high iso conversions...
    Sergio

  28. #278
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by jlancasterd View Post
    The distortion in images from either the 24-120 f4 or the 16-35 f4 doesn't bother me too much because it is so easily corrected using the Lens Correction tab in LR4
    Uncfortumately when it comes to the 16-35 VR it isn't fully correctable for the subjects I was shooting and there was absolutely no easy fix, regardless of the amount of time spent correcting the files nor techniques applied. I fully explained the issue in a previous post a few weeks ago, so I won"t repeat all the details here but it related to group shots in very close quarters with internationally recognized individuals. Correcting for distortion of the group resulted in straight lines in the interior and other recognizable items taking on the appearance of a circus funhouse. I even sent the file to two well known photoshop gurus and they couldn't come up with an acceptable solution (file).

    So when I hear distortortion is easily correctable, it may be, but not in all situations. For landscape and certain other commonly found subjects, yes, distortion correction can often be a simple fix, but it cannot be applied to all types of images, especially where residual distortion would not be acceptable for a paid application. In these type of situations, the 16-35 VR was unacceptable with use at it's widest focal length settings, for my particular application. Other than that, it's a fine lens and certainly will be most acceptable in a wide variety of uses. It's sort of analogous to a situation where a very fine lens might be great for general shooting but use for a specific application such as in astrophotography, it might not cut it, no matter what type of post processing corrections are applied. Still I personally felt the amount of distortion at the wide end of the 16-35VR being at the highest level of any previous Nikon wide angle zoom, was somewhat of a surprise.

    Interestingly, Tokina was aware of this and when they released their two ultra wide angle full frame zoom lenses for Nikon, they specifically tried addressing the distortion issue, by releasing their lenses with amazingly low distortion. Unfortunately the price paid for their extremely low distortion throughout their zoom range, was somewhat uneven and soft edge performance at the wider apertures and focal lengths....the opposite of the Nikon 16-35VR.

    Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 30th March 2012 at 14:04.

  29. #279
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Okay I made these look like something I would go to print with. You can see my note on the images. I did the Phase in C1 and the Nikon in Capture NX2. I WB off the same white chair. Again can be variance in the converters and any other variable.






    Here is a link to the Raws( included the wide shot as well for cropping). PLEASE folks ONLY post results here at GetDPI.com is all I ask. I just don't want to be chasing down comments all over the web. Thanks Guy

    https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_act...Q1IrV3h2TzhUQw
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  30. #280
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    If folks want to share a link to other forums for friends to see than I suggest sending a link to the whole thread so they can follow all the great input from our esteem members. BTW thanks everyone for your patience and great input here. A ton of great data here.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  31. #281
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    At this scale the most noticeable difference is less saturation and a strong yellow cast in the Nikon. Would this be the camera, or just a quirk of the conversion software when you grab a white balance point and don't do any tweaking?

  32. #282
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,672
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    If folks want to share a link to other forums for friends to see than I suggest sending a link to the whole thread so they can follow all the great input from our esteem members. BTW thanks everyone for your patience and great input here. A ton of great data here.
    Can't wait till I get back to a real computer later this evening in order to be able to view and closely examine the latest comparitive files posted. Completely agree with you Guy.....this has been an incredibly valuable thread regarding the D800 and the GETdpi community as a whole deserves a awful lot of credit for all their valuable imput and constructive comments.

    Dave (D&A)

  33. #283
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by paulraphael View Post
    At this scale the most noticeable difference is less saturation and a strong yellow cast in the Nikon. Would this be the camera, or just a quirk of the conversion software when you grab a white balance point and don't do any tweaking?
    Paul I'm leaning at the camera on the WB but I did not do any tweaking either. But do give it a run with the files.

    I'm going to see if I can correct it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  34. #284
    Senior Subscriber Member Steen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Denmark, CPH
    Posts
    2,500
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush


    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

    Steen, Thanks for the post at f/5.6.

    Have you got any of the f/1.2 lenses? If so, any samples at f/1.2?

    Sorry, Vivek, no f/1.2 shots, actually never owned a f/1.2 lens ...

  35. #285
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy,

    If you don't mind, for next time, could you find a store that has a ColorChecker in the window?

    Seriously, thanks much,

    Matt

  36. #286
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    LOL I have the frames before it. lol


    I cooled it off. ROTFLMAO actually weird program no kelvin temp to go by some lame slider warm /cold for color temp anyway went 12 points to the cool side

    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  37. #287
    Senior Member eleanorbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston and Keystone, Colorado
    Posts
    706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Guy this last posted file looks a little too green to me on my apple 30 display...could you give us an idea which of the files...Phase or Nikon has the most correct color on the brownish wood?? I've been working on these RAW files in C1 and LR4 (don't have the Nikon software) and they both look really really good. I always look at the micro contrast. Some of the time I get tired of lugging my 65+ system around and was considering the D800e for use instead of the Phase, depending on where I'm going and what I'm shooting and how light I want to go. Thanks for posting the RAW's...this is really helpful! Eleanor


    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    LOL I have the frames before it. lol


    I cooled it off. ROTFLMAO actually weird program no kelvin temp to go by some lame slider warm /cold for color temp anyway went 12 points to the cool side


  38. #288
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    I would say go by the Phase files in C1 Eleanor as being more true. I'm down to tech cam and the Nikon so i see exactly where you are coming from. Those white chairs are a good WB.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  39. #289
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    I'm just wondering if Glory Bees is going to donate some free advertising money to the forum. ROTFLMAO

    My eyes are green blind by now. I may go out and shoot something else this weekend. And it won't be GREEN
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  40. #290
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    LOL I have the frames before it. lol


    I cooled it off. ROTFLMAO actually weird program no kelvin temp to go by some lame slider warm /cold for color temp anyway went 12 points to the cool side

    Guy, in case you missed it, you can set your WB using Kelvin on Capture NX: just check out the "Develop" tab on the right, then "Camera settings", the "Warmer / Cooler" slider should have a window on the right with the related Kelvin value, which you can click and change as well as the "Tint" below.
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  41. #291
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Thanks got it now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  42. #292
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Sure thing, glad I could help
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  43. #293
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Hell I'm glad your here. LOL

    One thing to get a new cam another to learn a very strange layout raw converter. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  44. #294
    Senior Member vieri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Ginesio, Italy
    Posts
    983
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    LOL Capture's interface could sure use one touch up or a thousand but the files come out pretty good, worth the pain IMHO
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

  45. #295
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    85mm f/1.8 D (non AFS).

    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  46. #296
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    In the two images Guy posted, the Nikon shot chairs look good,but the brown siding is definitely green. And not only green, two different tones of green -- top half is browner, but lower half is really green to my eyes. Guy, am I correct in assuming the Phase color is accurate and the Nikon is off? It looks to me like I'm going to need to profile my Nikon once I settle on a converter...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  47. #297
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Uwe, looking good, but the older style 85/1.8 definitely has some funny bokeh in the specular highlights.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  48. #298
    Contributing Editor ustein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    >looking good, but the older style 85/1.8 definitely has some funny bokeh in the specular highlights.

    1999.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

    Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

  49. #299
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Santa Cruz, California
    Posts
    586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Can't wait till I get back to a real computer later this evening in order to be able to view and closely examine the latest comparitive files posted. Completely agree with you Guy.....this has been an incredibly valuable thread regarding the D800 and the GETdpi community as a whole deserves a awful lot of credit for all their valuable imput and constructive comments.

    Dave (D&A)
    Big +1 - thanks Guy!
    -- Joe

    http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

  50. #300
    Senior Member eleanorbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Houston and Keystone, Colorado
    Posts
    706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Nikon D800 First Blush

    This is Guy's D800 shot. I took the RAW and edited in Lightroom 4 and did a white balance on the chairs as Guy suggested and this is what I got for tones on the brown wood. Eleanor

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •